• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notoriousjmc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    LaPorte
    Hey folks, I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 field edition. It has the 28" barrel and walnut stock and forend on it. While I like this set up for trap shooting I also purchased a pistol grip and tactical forend for it. I can not seem to get the forend on. It slides on but not far enough down to screw the retaining nut back on. After some research I thought that I needed the longer adapter nut for it. However, after purchasing the nut I still can not get it to work. The stock nut doesn't seat down far enough to thread on and the adapter nut is to large to slide down onto the tube....please help . I guess if worse comes to worse I will just have to buy a tactical 500 bit would like to save some money

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    When I installed one on my 870, I had to firmly spread the tops apart and wiggle it on the rest of the way.

They are suppose to fit very tightly so they don't wobble.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    So basically I don't have very many options when it comes to changing the forend.. I have the hogue adapter nut and still doesn't work

Hang on...

/\ Read again /\

Then watch... this is how to take it off, but it shows how tight they can be.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEU8rYvToQs[/ame]

notoriousjmc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    LaPorte
    Mine is completely different though. All I have to do to remove mine is (1) remove the barrel then (2) unscrew the nut and slide off old forend. The problem is that when I put the new forend on it covers up the threads which in turn do not allow me to screw the nut back on. It's as if the forend needs to be shorter. I thought that by buying the extended nut that it would rectify this but it still doesn't. The new foredn has ribs inside of it which do not allow the extended nut to slide in AMD reach the threads

eazyE226

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    the forend he is trying to put on is a original stock forend off of a mossberg 500 tactical.....his is a 500 field...u would think they would interchange easily....the prob is the thread to screw on the retainer nut is covered by the tactical forend....the tactical forend also has ribs inside of it wich do not allow the nut to reach the threads......is it possible that these are not interchangable??? he bought the extended nut but the ribs block it from reaching the threads....like he would have to cut the ribs down so the nut will fit.....one would assume the forends would be interchangable between a 500 field and a 500 tactical

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Ya i wrote a whole long helpful answer then realized i didn't read your original post correctly. I have nothing to bring to this conversation. its the thought that counts right :)

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    I may be in left field here but I'd guess what the OP took off was a 6 3/4" tube and the tactical forend is a 7 5/8" setup.

This sounds like it could well be the issue. I got bit by the same problem when I converted my Mossy from field to tactical. I'd recommend you make sure your forend and action tube are both either 6 3/4" or 7 5/8".

I'd love to help you out and take a look at it if you were a little closer...

Good luck!

Top Bottom