• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I just don't get jumping to conclusions. Incident till proven guilty?!

We we had a scare when our second was little she fell out of a chair on porch and hit her head on the concrete. Wife rushed her to hospital told doctors what happened nobody called anyone they checked her out and sent the wife home.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Abusers bring Abusees in all the time. A lot of abuse is not intended, but results from a spur of the moment action where there is immediate remorse and proper response taken. Bringing a kid to get help doesn't mean squat as to who did what.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Someone else mentioned that IF it is abuse, it is not necessarily the parents at fault. Does this child go to any type of child care? Perhaps there was a fall or some other reason that would explain what they are seeing that the parents are unaware of? There are lots of unanswered questions. The medical personnel are required by law to report any possibility of abuse to CPS. With bleeding on the brain, they would be at risk of losing their professional license if they did not report it. It is in the child's best interest for this investigation to be conducted. I pray that you are right and the parents are not responsible for any harm to their child. None of us know what goes on in other people's homes. My sister was in an abusive marriage for almost 16 years and not one of us ever knew it until the day he put a gun to her head and she finally got out.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If they didn't hurt their kid then it will all work out. I'd be pissed too if I know I didn't hurt my child and someone was accusing me of doing it, but in the mean time id just be focused on getting my child better.

Ill go go ahead and insert my advice when dealing with any govt authority. Don't answer questions until you have a lawyer. Even If your a scum bag you deserve that much. But even innocent people should keep their mouths shut.
    At what cost to the parents? I have seen a child removed based on the lies of EMTs responding to a 9-1-1 call. It took almost a year before the child was returned to the parent. They fought every effort to return the child. There was absolutely no evidence to support any of the claims used to justify the child's removal, and they denied custody to all immediate family members.

\
    it could have been a babysitter, or just a kid falling down. Who knows, but you don't allow others to live in a potentially unsafe home.
    Define 'unsafe' for me, doc. What happens when having a firearm in the home is deemed 'unsafe?'

If the healthcare peeps do nothing, everyone cries foul. If they report suspected or potential abuse, then everyone cries foul.

I am almost positive there would have to be more than one piece of evidence to corroborate possible abuse. Either this baby has fractures, old evidence of fractures, or old infarcts...something is amiss for the docs to call CPS. It also may be SOP to keep liability off of an amazing hospital that tries to help tons of kids in need!
    It would be nice if this was true, but it isn't.

So you'd rather the hospital, police, and CPS just mind their own business?
    I'd rather the parents not have to defend against accusation that can't be/haven't been proven. I'm speaking beyond this particular instance now, since the details of it are unknown to us. When it comes to situations where there is suspected abuse/neglect, there is no due process for parents. The state assumes guilt, removes the children without just cause, and conducts an investigation in an attempt to justify the kidnapping. And the parents are presumed guilty until the innocence can be proven. That is not how our system is supposed to work.

It's so easy to circumvent due process and Constitutional rights when it's for the children. Meanwhile, women are told they have to be physically attacked before the law can do anything. Something is rotten in Denmark.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Define 'unsafe' for me, doc. What happens when having a firearm in the home is deemed 'unsafe?'

When a kid shows up with a bleeding brain for no good reason, that environment is deemed potentially unsafe.

regarding the gun, that's your fantasy question to answer, not mine.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Don't tell my wife I said this but she dropped our daughter while reaching for a blanket on the bed. My daughter fell hit the bed then the floor; she seemed fine but started spitting up quite a bit that day so we decided to take her to the E.R. After she was checked out and given the all clear a friend of mine from the hospital said to expect a call or visit from CS. The call/visit never came but I would assume it's pretty standard procedure when a child has blunt force trauma type injuries for the hospital to report it. Especially something like a brain bleed. I also assume there is a lot of liability involved if the hospital doesn't report it and something where to happen to that child at a later date. Again we all now about "assuming"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When a kid shows up with a bleeding brain for no good reason, that environment is deemed potentially unsafe.
    You weren't nearly as specific in your criteria up thread. Now there has to be an injury for "no good reason" and then it's "potentially" unsafe. Do you still thinks its acceptable to deny due process to parents on unsubstantiated claims?

regarding the gun, that's your fantasy question to answer, not mine.
    No. You started this line of logic, now finish it. If you're going to support a standard as squishy and undefinable as "unsafe," then let's follow it all the way to its natural end point. What happens when someone else has the power to define "unsafe" and it runs afoul of what you consider acceptable?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I just want to know if their rights r being violated. Seems extreme the parents brought kids in they were not reported for anything.

Rights are NOT being violated. When abuse is possible, there is a law that states healthcare professionals must report it to be investigated. It does not matter if you're in EMS or the hospital and whether the suspected abuser is the POTUS, you MUST report it. It MUST be investigated. If the investigation is inconclusive, children will be released back to the parents. You just have to have faith in the system. It's not there for ****s and giggles, it's there for prevention of further incidents. We even have to report elderly abuse. So if your grandma comes in with signs of possible abuse, we still report it. Just let the system work the way it's intended.

My thoughts are with the child and the family. I don't care what the outcome of the investigation is, as long as the children are safe after the investigation is concluded.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    What really has my blood pressure is the fact they won't tell the parents anything about what is going on with their child. Since they left first hospital and found out blood was on his brain. They have questioned them all night but they don't know anything about what is going on with the child. I'm ok with investigating but for Gods sake tell them what the tests r find out

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What really has my blood pressure is the fact they won't tell the parents anything about what is going on with their child. Since they left first hospital and found out blood was on his brain. They have questioned them all night but they don't know anything about what is going on with the child. I'm ok with investigating but for Gods sake tell them what the tests r find out

Yeah...I would be ballistic by now if that was my child and they wouldn't tell me anything about their status. I hope this all ends well for everyone.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Incident till proven guilty?!

Innocent until proven guilty is in court, not in an investigation. Its an impossible standard to be able to prove someone is guilty before you investigate.

As far as what rights, if any, are being violated, there's not nearly enough specifics to even begin to answer that question. However from my dealings with Riley, I'd trust them to be both competent and professional and to have the best interests of the child in mind.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

I would assume it's because they are ruling stuff out still. They may not know anything more than they knew before. Tests are not instantaneous. The parents will know what is going on, however I believe that they don't know 100% what's going on. The doctors are investigating while the investigators are investigating. If you're on the parents' side, stay supportive for them. Just remember, and I hate to sound like a complete dick, but right now it's about what's best for the child not the parents.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would assume it's because they are ruling stuff out still. They may not know anything more than they knew before. Tests are not instantaneous. The parents will know what is going on, however I believe that they don't know 100% what's going on. The doctors are investigating while the investigators are investigating. If you're on the parents' side, stay supportive for them. Just remember, and I hate to sound like a complete dick, but right now it's about what's best for the child.

Good point about the potential to not know what the diagnosis is at this point. This is just a tough situation all around.

Top Bottom