• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Man, I must be living under a rock, I live in Clarksville, and this is the first I've heard of this, guess I need to start watching tv more:D From the looks of that wreckage, he's a very lucky man.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hope he turns out ok. One of the number 1 rules when flying..... ALLWAYS have more fuel then you think you will need, then add a little more.

Regardless it sounds like he had some serious fire power on board haha.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The FAA will say..."You got some splainin' to do." He'll at least get a suspension of his pilot's license. There is no excuse for running out of fuel. That being said, I hope he recovers soon and completely. I'll bet he had the proper paperwork for his guns and permission to take them out of state.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Hope he turns out ok. One of the number 1 rules when flying..... ALLWAYS have more fuel then you think you will need, then add a little more.

Regardless it sounds like he had some serious fire power on board haha.

Having too much fuel can result in accidents just the same. Instead of falling out of the sky, you just hit the ground too hard.

Hopefully he does have a good reason for running out though. Heh.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Bummer. Love hitting the town of Louisville, but not that way.:D I lived there for 15 years, and I know one thing, he'll have to pony up some lawyer fees, because that City loves to feed their attorneys. They'll find something to slap him with, so he'll have to lawyer up, and dig deep into his pockets to keep any of this from blemishing his records. Flying or firearms.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    On a similar note.....

We had a two passenger cessna crash in our cemetery.....

So far they have recovered 150 victims and expect the death tole to rise as digging continues.:rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :dunno:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Having too much fuel can result in accidents just the same. Instead of falling out of the sky, you just hit the ground too hard.

Hopefully he does have a good reason for running out though. Heh.

You have it backwards :) you can have all the fuel you want, fill the tanks to 100% full and you can still fly NO PROBLEM.......... add to much "junk" to the trunk and then you have a problem.........

What happen's is they fill up the plane then put 3 other people in the plane, those people are not honest about their weight, the take off and fly into a hilly area then all the sudden can't pull up to clear a LARGE hill....... that has happened. Or someone add's to much weight (say guns) and does not bother to weigh it all out and the engine need's more throttle to fly straight and steady and it burns the fuel faster, then you hit a head wind and still don't realize you are runing out of gas and........

When it comes to small planes you don't sacrafice fuel for goddies. I have also known small aircraft pilot that have scales with them, before anyone get on the plane they get on the scale.... they don't want to die because someone THOUGHT they weighed XXX....... I am not about to cut it close though either..........

It also sound's like he did not have much flight time in that particular aircraft.... all airplanes don't fly the same, the same models don't even fly the same...... they just like cars, they all have their querks.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The fact of the matter is that a good pilot will perform proper pre-flight planning to include a written weight and balance. If a certain amount of persons and baggage are necessary to the trip, then less than maximum capacity fuel may have to be placed onboard the plane. After allowing for legal reserve fuel (more than the amount needed for the trip), if the destination can't be met, the good pilot will plan an intermediate fuel stop. If unexpected weather conditions, including headwinds or crosswinds, are encountered enroute, a good pilot will land and refuel before continuing on to his/her final destination. There is an old saying amongst aviators which goes, "There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old and bold pilots." Another is,
    "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."​
    — Captain A. G. Lamplugh

Top Bottom