• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Have a stripped lower and thought about building a Piston Drivin AR pistol since it doesn't require a buffet tube, my one question is with it being a pistol does it require a tax stamp or anything with a tax stamp such as SBR?

shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    You shouldn't need a the stamp. but unless I'm thinking wrong you will need a buffer tube. They make pistol buffer tubes that you can't put stocks on.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If a piston upper doesn't require a buffer tube in rifle configuration - it won't need one in pistol configuration.

Build your lower into a pistol and have fun with it!

-J-

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I bought a multi caliber lower and when i had the paperwork done, i had them specify it was a pistol sale. Then i had the lower engraved with "pistol".
    After i installed the parts kit, i put the pistol buffer tube on and took picture with paperwork and that days newspaper. All this to document the building of a pistol ar15. I can now have a 10.5" 5.56 barrel in house and do not have to be concerned about batfe implying intent to build SBR. I have other ar's and bought the parts all at same time. However barrel was delivered before lower was built into pistol.
    Since then I have looked into piston config. and can do so at my time. The pistol buffer tube was 11.00 or so, spring was only 6.00. Cheap but felt more comfortable.
    I am told that I can mount a 16" upper or shorter barrel and go back and forth.
    I dont have any intentions of the following, but I am told that now the lower started out as pistol and i could remove pistol buffer tube and put rifle stock on and (as long as I dont use a SBR upper) I can use lower as a rifle lower again and swap back and for,as long as I dont use the SB on rifle lower.
    As I stated, I don't have any intentions of any of that. I am happy with my AR15 pistol and I can carry in car (loaded) for personal protection if I choose to.
    I choose not to do that. I have other carrt weapons and they are much more easier to conceal. I don't want to intimitate anyone. The biggest reasons for piston driven ar's are cleaner, less heat and hopefully reliability.
    Good luck
    Haz

Top Bottom