• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I use a top folding stock on my mossberg mav 88. I like it pretty well, gives me the ability to use the stock while having the extra control of the pistol grip, and I have the extra ammo holder on it, so that's 5 more rounds to use if needed (doubtful). I keep mine loaded up with 00 buckshot to help reduce overpenetration, so it doesn't go through the target and the walls behind him like a slug.

Plus one thing you have to remember, you mentioned keeping it in your car. You better have a LTCH to do that if you just have the pistol grip on it and no sort of folding stock. Without any sort of stock to shoulder it, it is then considered a pistol and not a long gun. You can't keep it in the vehicle without a LTCH. Keep that in mind.

Good mention, you do have to have a permit to carry a PG shotgun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    GLOCK21 is spot-on. Henk Iverson and Louis Awerbuck have been doing this shotgun thing for a long time. They know much about which they speak. A PG only shotgun is a terrible choice for a HD gun, period.

To 38special: If the clays you shot with your PG only shotgun were stationary, then I believe you. If they were flying...well I'd like to see that sometime... ;)

I was at my Cousins farm one day. We where shooting clays. I had a 500, 20 guage. We where messing around, holding it one hand shooting the clays. Granted we where far from hitting everyone. Now doing it with a 12 guage, that's a little different.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you really want to kill something you'll want to aim at it and use something bigger than #7 shot.

Pistol grip+00 Buck+aim=5 stitches

trust me.

I did not have to get stitches. However, when I had my 20 guage PG. I thought it would be cool, to hold it up and use the beed site. I was using bird shot. Yeah the PG, came back and poped me in the mouth. I did not loose any teeth or anything, but It did bleed like a mother.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Stock with 28" ported barrel.

004.jpg

With factory 18.5" barrel.

001-4.jpg

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    The pistol grip just looks so darn cool though... isn't that what really matters? :D

On a different note, a buddy and I put two 100 round econopacks through my old PG'd chinese 870 clone in one afternoon. Yeah it stung a little, but nothing to cry about.

They do though make a helluva handy truck gun, but agreed with above, tough to hit anything past 20 feet.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    The pistol grip just looks so darn cool though... isn't that what really matters? :D

On a different note, a buddy and I put two 100 round econopacks through my old PG'd chinese 870 clone in one afternoon. Yeah it stung a little, but nothing to cry about.

They do though make a helluva handy truck gun, but agreed with above, tough to hit anything past 20 feet.

Lets not forget, it's not about hits, it's about GOOD hits. We're trying to shut down the most lethal animal on the planet, who probably has some chemical help running through his veins. We need to shut of the oxygen to his brain, or take out his brainstem. Why? Beacuse that's what is controling both his hands and feet, which are the things that are doing the harm. We have very select target areas to do that, and we may only get one chance.

Sure, sometime just pointing a gun at a person gains their respect - sometimes shooting alone scares them off. But when it comes to defensive use of firearms, we're all best served thinking worse case, and training worse case.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I like the side saddle myself. With proper training and practice, loading from there is almost second nature. With whatever you choose to do, just practice it. A Lot.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Lets not forget, it's not about hits, it's about GOOD hits. We're trying to shut down the most lethal animal on the planet, who probably has some chemical help running through his veins. We need to shut of the oxygen to his brain, or take out his brainstem. Why? Beacuse that's what is controling both his hands and feet, which are the things that are doing the harm. We have very select target areas to do that, and we may only get one chance.

Sure, sometime just pointing a gun at a person gains their respect - sometimes shooting alone scares them off. But when it comes to defensive use of firearms, we're all best served thinking worse case, and training worse case.

I totaly agree 100% The goal is to stop a threat, with the least amount of time and effort. That's why you should train to shoot center mass. Better chance of hitting vital organs. If that does not work, then a headshot is in order. Also you fire, until the threat is no longer a threat. You may only get 1-2 shots, so you better make them count. I can remember qualifying. Our first two strings where, three rounds in five seconds at three yards. The first two firing from the hip, weak hand grasping our vest strong side elbow at 90 degrees. Followed by one shot, strong hand supported. It takes a lot of practice, to get a center mass shot from that shooting position. I would usualy throw my first, then I was able to ajust from there. Same goes for shooting a shotgun, from the hip. Even though a shotgun with 00 buck, will fire a wider pattern. Before my time, they used to have everyone shoot from the hip. Then they did away with it.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    For me, a stock is a necessity for a HD gun. You're looking at an easier to control weapon with faster follow up shots.

Ditto! I find it easier to move around corners with something mounted to me as well,

I also feel that if you had a stock it would be harder to knock the gun out of your hand as well

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    for home defense and to carry in my car.
    When I carry a shotgun in my truck it is loaded with slugs. It stands to reason if you are in traffic, parking lots, side of the road you are dealing with other vehicles. Slugs go way beyond the Miami Vice PG only crap.

As for any other defensive application, pistol grip only is best on a pistol. A pistol is lighter, shorter, higher capacity, easier to aim and on and on and on. If you need a gun in your hand only, use a handgun.

A PG only shotgun compared to a stocked gun is slower, less accurate as already explained, more prone to operator error under stress. So it is 2 to 3 times slower, 2 to 3 times less accurate and much less reliable. even if you only plan to shoot it once, which is a real possibility.

Crockett and Tubbs were cancelled and this should have been too. Don't be that guy, don't be Ricardo Tubbs.

Even Tubbs knew better Image:MV-MOSS500-1.jpg - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database

Top Bottom