• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    What do you suggest to someone that has health issues and really cant maintain a solid grip?

My mother inlaw wants to get a handgun and I really don't know where to start? I was thinking perhaps a 22lr in a semi auto. I don't really know a thing about revolvers to even know if they are wise choice in this situation?

Other than to tell her to try a bunch of different ones to see which one feels best to her I am at a loss.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Take her out and get her some training 1st. See if she is competent to own/use a handgun.
    If she is then find a range with rentals. Run a few different platforms/calibers to see what she is comfortable with.
    Semi autos can be confusing to a N00B

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Grip is largely technique. Obviously there are exceptions. My wife has arthritis and a traumatic hand injury. She is still able to handle a full size 9mm.

1) 22 semi auto pistols can be hinky when it comes to reliability. Yes there are good one out there and they are better then nothing. But generally speaking they are more problematic then lets say a 10/22 carbine.
    2) Larger guns with smaller cartridges have less recoil and can use lighter recoil springs. This means they are generally easier to shoot. Bigger gun also gives more to hold onto.
    3) Revolvers are fine. But avoid lightweight snubs! Bad sights, big recoil. Avoid charter arms, taurus and other budget brands. The double action triggers require tow truck. Best bet would be to find a seasoned K frame police trade in. The all steel 3" barrel 38 special "kit guns" might be another option. Smith and Ruger also make 8 shot .22 rimfire snubs that might work well.
    4) A medium sized .380 like a Walther PK380, Bersa Thunder or Beretta 84 might be an option.
    5) Hate to say it but don't rule out a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60/795.

Somebody else chime in.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    About 3 years ago, my mother requested what she might get for a small, easy-to-use, easy-to-conceal, light-weight, self-defense handgun for when she goes on her daily walks (she lives in the country so it's relatively light traffic...but for 'just-in-case.' Because she was 72 years old, not feeble, but not physically strong either, we went through a discussion of many different options and settled on a:

Ruger LCR in .22 WMR...it's small, easy-to-use, easy-to-conceal, light-weight, self-defense handgun that gives her the feeling that she has some form of protection while maintaining a package that she can actually handle...recoil, ease-of-use, etc. One of the best features is it's 'pull+point-n-shoot' capability while giving a strong enough round to provide penetration if she ever had to use it!

In many senses, we were just hoping that 'Beep' gotta gun' would be enough to get rid of any potential attackers...but in the event that someone actually tried something...she had enough 'bangs' in the gun to cause an issue to whomever was causing sufficient issues to warrant such a response.

Just a thought...but a DAO revolver in a lighter caliber is something to consider! It's small enough to drop in a coat pocket and light enough not to make it sag! Also, it appears that Eagle Grips has brought out a nice wood grip for it...and so has Hogue. Hogue Inc.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Take her out and get her some training 1st. See if she is competent to own/use a handgun.
    If she is then find a range with rentals. Run a few different platforms/calibers to see what she is comfortable with.
    Semi autos can be confusing to a N00B

He was looking for feedback about a choice for older people, not advice from a dinosaur.
    :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    IMO, Taurus PT22 and Beretta 21A tip-ups are ideal. Doesn't require the slide to be pulled back manually if grip strength is an issue. The old Llama semi-autos in 22LR also had a light recoil spring that didn't require a lot of strength to pull the slide back. I know they're only 22's but better to hit with a 22 than miss with a 44.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok I have to admit that the LCR-22 and some of those Hogue grips caught my eye. I am not an advocate of .22 rimfire for self defense. But quality ammo in a quality revolver would make for a nice little package for someone.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Weak hands = NO SEMI autos. Even the tip up barrel variety that do not require the strength of racking the slide to load are a bad idea. Without a firm grip, semi autos jam up. Like Mgderf, I have spent many Saturdays in a range with 1st time shooters training through the NSSF First shots program. Way too many people bought semi autos that they cannot reliably use. It doesn't matter if they are $150 or $3000 pistols, some people just cannot reliably operate a semi auto. Compact semi autos a far worse that a full size like a Beretta 92.

A well worn revolver or one made before we let legislators determine trigger pull specifications is the best solution. Rubber grips like the Hogue fingergroove style work pretty well unless the hands are really small. I have seen very few people that cannot shoot a 4 inch K frame Smith and Wesson. Old women, weak men, young teens, most can get used to shooting one pretty quick.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Weak hands = NO SEMI autos. Even the tip up barrel variety that do not require the strength of racking the slide to load are a bad idea. Without a firm grip, semi autos jam up. A well worn revolver or one made before we let legislators determine trigger pull specifications is the best soliution. Rubber grips like the Hogue fingergroove style work pretty well unless the hands are really small. I have seen very few people that cannot shoot a 4 inch K frame Smith and Wesson. Old women, weak men, young teens, most can get used to shooting one pretty quick.

Correct. A semi auto needs something to reciprocate against. Small gun + weak grips equals stovepipe. HOWEVER, much of this problem is mitigated with full size guns that have enough mass for the gun to sort of work against itself. (Bad explanation, but you get the idea) I have seen people with very weak grips shoot 5" 1911s, 5" PPQs, Glock 34s and such with no failures. Interestingly enough the Smith and Wesson Shields have also labored on without any hiccups.

4" K Frame is a good choice though. I know where there are some model 15-6 police trade-ins in the case. $350 will buy you a cosmetically deficient but mechanically sound home defense gun.

Last edited:

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i have always liked my h&r snub nose .22 lr revolver. no safety, 9 shots, point and shoot. always goes boom. i see them for sale frequently. i have tried to give it to my sister to have for protection for years. she likes it but she wont take it home. she will come over and shoot it but tells me keep it in my safe, maybe she will want it some day??

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a PT22 and like it for carrying around the yard. I have an older neighbor lady that liked mine so much she got one as well. The tip up barrel is easy for her to handle and load. The magazine is easy enough for her to load as well...not as stiff as a larger caliber. It holds enough shots as mentioned above that she has more ammo if needed.

I have found that it does not like Remington Thunderbolts but Federal or CCI ammo works perfectly in it with no jams or failures to fire or eject. I normally carry a .45 but the .22 is easy to conceal, lightweight and comfortable. While not the ideal self defense/protection gun, it is better than nothing. Our neighbor cannot handle the .45 due to arthritis issues. She is afraid of the larger calibers so is more likely to practice with the .22 as well.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    i have always liked my h&r snub nose .22 lr revolver. no safety, 9 shots, point and shoot. always goes boom. i see them for sale frequently. i have tried to give it to my sister to have for protection for years. she likes it but she wont take it home. she will come over and shoot it but tells me keep it in my safe, maybe she will want it some day??

I agree. If "grip strength" is the limiting factor, a snubbie high standard would come out of my safe.
    A $10 pocket holster and it slips into the pocket of a jacket or housecoat.

It "likes" everything. And in case of failure to fire, train to "keep pulling the trigger".

Since you mentioned grip strength and health, I'm assuming it's a serious limitation. If it is, then other handguns become single shot if she can't hold onto it. And training would be uncomfortable at best.

She won't be knocking squirrels off the backyard fence at 50 feet. But you can exert a tremendous amount of influence over the activities of others (in a 10' radius ) with a .22 revolver.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok I have to admit that the LCR-22 and some of those Hogue grips caught my eye. I am not an advocate of .22 rimfire for self defense. But quality ammo in a quality revolver would make for a nice little package for someone.

Another vote for a 22wmr REVOLVER. Given the propensity for rimfires to not go boom, the revolver offers the simplest malfunction clearance... pull the trigger again!

Plus the added benefit of not having to worry about the hand strength issues cycling an auto.

Remember, a 22 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the safe. (or nothing at all)

The only caution I have heard on the LCR in 22WMR is the cylinders are a bit loose, and the rounds have a tendency to slide backward if the gun isnt carried barrel down. This leads to FTF malfunctions and possible issues with the cylider rotating smoothly. Other revolvers in WMR I have not heard of this issue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This comes up all the time, and the answer is it depends. Someone with wrist issues is not the same as someone with finger issues is not the same as someone with both.

4" .38 revolvers, larger .380 pistols, that's where I'd start. Something that fits her hand, remember grips can be swapped out, and remember that ammo selection can be tailored a bit. 110 gr .38 va 158 gr, etc will have less kick then heavier loads. They may give up a bit in wounding ballistics, but if the trade off is it functions and can be shot comfortably, that's likely worth it when these types of decisions must be made.

Rimfire LCRs are probably not a good option. The trigger is much heavier than the centerfire versions because the spring weight is much heavier to help ensure ignition.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have nerve damage from spinal arthritis resulting in among other things, numb fumbling weak hands. I no longer use any of my semi-autos. I can no longer negotiate the little switches and buttons and good quality semi-autos don't feed or cycle with me holding them.

I carry a Ruger sp101 revolver now, and sometimes a .38 special double derringer.

Top Bottom