• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This comes up all the time, and the answer is it depends. Someone with wrist issues is not the same as someone with finger issues is not the same as someone with both.

4" .38 revolvers, larger .380 pistols, that's where I'd start. Something that fits her hand, remember grips can be swapped out, and remember that ammo selection can be tailored a bit. 110 gr .38 va 158 gr, etc will have less kick then heavier loads. They may give up a bit in wounding ballistics, but if the trade off is it functions and can be shot comfortably, that's likely worth it when these types of decisions must be made.

Rimfire LCRs are probably not a good option. The trigger is much heavier than the centerfire versions because the spring weight is much heavier to help ensure ignition.

I did not know that the triggers wet different. I read that on on a gun review but those are often full of spit. But the trigger is different then the centerfie. That could indeed be an issue. I guess that means a Smith Kit gun then. I have a friend with a loved on Smith 317 snubby, it is a sweet little gun.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Take her out and get her some training 1st. See if she is competent to own/use a handgun.
    If she is then find a range with rentals. Run a few different platforms/calibers to see what she is comfortable with.
    Semi autos can be confusing to a N00B

If this isn't a SME I don't know who would be. :fogey:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Spend some time and money if you care for them . A older S&W well tuned ,in 32 cal. makes a good gun for older people . Not a top break but a mod 30 or 31 ,They come in a variety of Bbl. lengths,and are sweet shooters . Also look at a tuned Ruger S. P 101 they can be tuned to almost what the S&W are. Nothing like a revolver to shoot ,no safety ,no slide to pull no magazine to fight with to insert ammo . into
    Remember that they have to have the MIND set to use the gun ,when & were.
    Educate ,shoot,and be comfortable with it's use and the damage it can do

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    3) Revolvers are fine. But avoid lightweight snubs! Bad sights, big recoil. Avoid charter arms, taurus and other budget brands. The double action triggers require tow truck. Best bet would be to find a seasoned K frame police trade in. The all steel 3" barrel 38 special "kit guns" might be another option. .

Somebody else chime in.

Second this. A 4" model 10 or model 64 (my preference is the 64) is solid enough to absorb a good deal of the recoil. There is low-recoil .38 spl SD ammo that would be perfect for this.

If she is planning on carrying it, the LCR in .357 (loaded with .38) is a remote possibility, but any gun small and light enough to carry is not going to be easy for her to shoot.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Ruger LCR in .22 WMR...it's small, easy-to-use, easy-to-conceal, light-weight, self-defense handgun that gives her the feeling that she has some form of protection while maintaining a package that she can actually handle...recoil, ease-of-use, etc. One of the best features is it's 'pull+point-n-shoot' capability while giving a strong enough round to provide penetration if she ever had to use it!

This isn't a horrible idea, but OP if you go this route, make sure she keeps it loaded with quality ammo. Speer Gold Dot 22 wmr is okay. I had a Ruger LCR in this caliber and had quite a few misfires with normal ammo, not good if she's using it for self defense.

Have you thought about a 38 spl loaded with 148 grain wadcutters? The new 3 inch 38 spl LCRx loaded with wadcutters would be a great gun for an elderly person, in my opinion.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My mother is 64 and has no upper body strength at all. I mean none. None. She couldn't pull back the slide on any of my semi automaticas. I took her to a range and rented a stainless SW revolver with a four inch barrel. Low recoil, no safety, no slide lock. Seven rounds in the wheel. Perfect for her.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My mother (late '70s) uses a S&W M10 that dad bought during the Kennedy Administration.

The thing is butter smooth now, but hand and wristing stretching and exercises and just dry firing help tremendously.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I notice a lot of us are saying revolver. Now let me give a word of caution. We are not talking little snubby revolvers or a lot of the craptastic excuses being sold as revolvers these days. Look for a pre-lock K frame or if going new one of the Smith Pro Series guns. A buttery smooth model 10 is awfully hard to beat.

For the record I have yet to find somebody who can not work the slide on a modern semi automatic gun. The difference is that the people who come to me have already determined they want to learn to use the gun. It is both a mindset and a technique issue, not a strength issue. People who really struggle with the slides also have trouble with the double action triggers on the revolvers.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ok I have to admit that the LCR-22 and some of those Hogue grips caught my eye. I am not an advocate of .22 rimfire for self defense. But quality ammo in a quality revolver would make for a nice little package for someone.

I prefer the LCR in .22 Mag...gives the little .22 a lot more pop/power and is still relatively easy to handle. Besides, .22 WMR ammo is a lot easier to find than .22 lr at this time!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    This isn't a horrible idea, but OP if you go this route, make sure she keeps it loaded with quality ammo. Speer Gold Dot 22 wmr is okay. I had a Ruger LCR in this caliber and had quite a few misfires with normal ammo, not good if she's using it for self defense.

BBI talked me out of one up thread

I've been shooting .22 WMR for 25+ years...never a mis-fire, never a single negative issue with any type of ammo used...I've shot 1,000's of rounds through my Single-Six and my Savage bolt-action rifle...never had a problem, period!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Curious if this is for carry? Or home protection/nightstand gun?

For carry. Problem is she lives in Michigan and we are quite a ways away. I am thinking it might be best for her plan on going to the range when she comes to visit that way she can try quite a few and really get what fits her.

She has a 10/22 on loan for home use. I know a 10/22 is not optimal but sometimes it really makes sense.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    A 22lr seems like a great way to go, but there are also a few other types of loads that could be good for them to use. I personally think the 32 S&W could be an option. However, if they want to shoot a decent amount with ease, the 22lr is the way to go. It is very cheap and you can shoot it all day with no problem. I would also have someone look at their technique. To help them shoot longer and more accurately, technique would be an issue.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    An old school Iver Johnson .22 revolver (or similar) should do the trick. Maybe a .410 single shot break barrel rifle to keep behind the door couldn't hurt.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I gave my mom (mid 80s) a Glock 17. She's very weak but the mag capacity works well for her. She fires it adequately at 10 yards. She doesn't miss a human silhouette at that range.
    It's got a round in the chamber ready to run for her.
    I tried some of my old revolvers, a 1911 (too heavy), and some smaller autos. THe 17 works well for her.

marmion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Take her to the gun show and let her get a bunch in her hands. Find the ones that feel the best in her hands and then pick a forgiving caliber that she is comfortable shooting.

Top Bottom