• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Shoot some steel, hearing that stuff ring when you hit it is satisfying to say the least. I don't think there are too many people that pick up a pistol and shoot great off the bat, that's what practice and training are for. :yesway:

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I seem to shoot better when I am not concentrating so hard/bullseye shooting.
    but I usually shoot a 3" group at 12 yards with a flyer or two that puts it to 4" :(
    Yep me too. If I can just pull up and shoot I'm better off. Study long Study wrong:yesway:

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I agree, alot of people claim and some can shoot the male parts off a knat at 50ft. But really is that needed? Not really, and one could agure is it the best skill to have when shooting. I'll take the ability to shoot 15rds in the area of a music cd of a heart of 130plus any day of the week over that "dead eye" ability.
    But with that said , I agree with the 15rd on a 4x6in card is on par.

Keep the basics, keep training and most of all keep it fun. Remember Smooth is fast, Fast is smooth.

Just my:twocents: :rockwoot:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i too am in the "i suck with a pistol" club. i shoot pretty big groups at 15 yards (closest pistol backstop at the range across the st) i am pretty darned good with a rifle, and tend to shoot that a lot more because it is more fun when you dont suck. with a rifle i can shoot 4-5 moa all day long, with a pistol, i can hit the broadside of a barn, but some days are better than others. now a bow, on the other hand, no way. i would have trouble hitting the barn if i were standing inside it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yeah, I've been thinking about getting some Rx safety glasses made next time I go for an eye exam. I'm not a "bull's eye shooter" with pistols though. I'm content with 3" groups when concentrating my training on combatives. I prefer long gun for precision shooting. Haven't shot a competition in about 6 years now though, but when my schedule frees up more I think I'll get back into it.

I can focus on the front sight and maintain it just fine. Even the tip of the front sight, but when I do the bull is so fuzzy I have a hard time identifying where exactly I'm aimed.
    When shooting precision pistol, I use an adjustable aperture which attaches to my shooting glasses. It will clear up the sights and target. Having the target clear is a distraction, however. When shooting for defensive situations or run and gun, a good pair of glasses made to focus on the front sight allow me to see what I need to see clearly. Here is a little snippet on apertures: Diopter Devices Aid Older Eyes « Daily Bulletin

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    i too am in the "i suck with a pistol" club. i shoot pretty big groups at 15 yards (closest pistol backstop at the range across the st) i am pretty darned good with a rifle, and tend to shoot that a lot more because it is more fun when you dont suck. with a rifle i can shoot 4-5 moa all day long, with a pistol, i can hit the broadside of a barn, but some days are better than others. now a bow, on the other hand, no way. i would have trouble hitting the barn if i were standing inside it.

Why don't you get in a class this upcoming year and let me help you with that? I have a feeling we can fix some things right away.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I agree, alot of people claim and some can shoot the male parts off a knat at 50ft. But really is that needed? Not really, and one could agure is it the best skill to have when shooting. I'll take the ability to shoot 15rds in the area of a music cd of a heart of 130plus any day of the week over that "dead eye" ability.
    But with that said , I agree with the 15rd on a 4x6in card is on par.

Keep the basics, keep training and most of all keep it fun. Remember Smooth is fast, Fast is smooth.

Just my:twocents: :rockwoot:
    It all depends on what your goals are. Anyone wanting to shoot precision pistol competition must learn to shoot accurately at small targets and at extended ranges. I've never regretted learning precise marksmanship with a handgun. Besides international and bullseye, I've shot many other types of pistol competition, i.e. NRA Action Pistol, IPSC, PPC, Hunter's Pistol Silhouette, IMSA, etc. The skills of marksmanship have served me well in those disciplines. One does have to learn speed, reloading, clearing jams, drawing from a holster, shooting double-action, etc., but developing marksmanship skills was my first step. As has been stated, it isn't easy, but it gives one a purpose, besides making noise, when going to the range.

Top Bottom