• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Yeah, I've gotten to where a sort of "mid-point" between the front sight and bull works well for me. If I do just one or the other then I relatively cannot see the other object at all.

The other issue for me is "fuzziness." I'm not near or far sighted, but fine lines are fuzzy. I received my first Rx reading glasses just two years ago (as well as my first eye exam), LOL.

I'm staying out of the advice and "help" arena -- there are others in this thread who are actually qualified to do that, where I'm more qualified to provide sarcastic observations and random white-out-induced ramblings. I'm just confirming that your "focal issues" are completely normal.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm staying out of the advice and "help" arena -- there are others in this thread who are actually qualified to do that, where I'm more qualified to provide sarcastic observations and random white-out-induced ramblings. I'm just confirming that your "focal issues" are completely normal.
    Ramblings lighten the mood, LOL. This thread was actually in the pistol forum and later moved here to training.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Nonsense.

Among your many sarcastic ramblings, I have found that you are quite knowledgable. And I have learned several different things from you.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Nonsense.

Among your many sarcastic ramblings, I have found that you are quite knowledgable. And I have learned several different things from you.
    Indeed. I think everyone has at some point.

I think if you are a member here and can say that you haven't learned anything from another member, then you have some serious ego issue or are flat out lying. Everything in life is a learning experience, both good and bad. Often the bad ones we learn the most from.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    My mother has made it very clear since I was a child that everyone has a purpose, but was always quick to point out that for some, it's merely to serve as a warning for others. She never said that part to my brother. Weird.

See? Threadjacking. Just one more service I provide.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My mother has made it very clear since I was a child that everyone has a purpose, but was always quick to point out that for some, it's merely to serve as a warning for others. She never said that part to my brother. Weird.

See? Threadjacking. Just one more service I provide.
    :):

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think if you are a member here and can say that you haven't learned anything from another member, then you have some serious ego issue or are flat out lying. Everything in life is a learning experience, both good and bad. Often the bad ones we learn the most from.

And thats the beauty of INGO. Its impossibable to be a expert on everything gun related. I give optics and long range advise all the time, but im a pistol idiot. I ask a question and folks that are into pistols like I'm into long range chime in and I get the info I need.

I went shooting last night with my brother in law. We were running the dueling tree and to be honest he usually tears me up. To be fair he was having one of those days where nothing was working for him, but I tried the new stance and the combination of him being off and me being on let me win a few. :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    And thats the beauty of INGO. Its impossibable to be a expert on everything gun related. I give optics and long range advise all the time, but im a pistol idiot. I ask a question and folks that are into pistols like I'm into long range chime in and I get the info I need.

I went shooting last night with my brother in law. We were running the dueling tree and to be honest he usually tears me up. To be fair he was having one of those days where nothing was working for him, but I tried the new stance and the combination of him being off and me being on let me win a few. :D
    NICE!

I would LOVE to have one of those, but have other priorities for funds coming up. I still need to get my wife out to go over some rifle basics with her. Since she wanted to carry, we've spent more time on pistol and very little on rifle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Probability the best advice you can get on any forum, find a good instructor to see what you're doing wrong and how to correct it...

That is probably the best bet. Just get a expert and do it right...

What defines "expert?" :):

I'd go with someone with a track record of success. This guy would be one of my top choices.

...press the trigger straight back while not affecting sight alignment.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I found out that squinting my left eye for bullseye, rather than closing it, helps me align my sights and follow the sights better. (also helps with other vision issues)

My groups are gradually getting better "target" shooting. I used to be able to have a softball sized group at 7 yards, and now it's down to within a baseball sized group. Not a "huge" difference, but it's about the size of a heart, so win win.

Now I am working on transitions, and hanging two or three targets and getting my groups similar sized while transitioning. It's a bit trickier, but I am getting there :)

Also, how are you shooting with a 1911? Just wondering. I shoot better with my 1911's than my glock, but I work primarily with my g19 as I carry it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I found out that squinting my left eye for bullseye, rather than closing it, helps me align my sights and follow the sights better. (also helps with other vision issues)

My groups are gradually getting better "target" shooting. I used to be able to have a softball sized group at 7 yards, and now it's down to within a baseball sized group. Not a "huge" difference, but it's about the size of a heart, so win win.

Now I am working on transitions, and hanging two or three targets and getting my groups similar sized while transitioning. It's a bit trickier, but I am getting there :)

Also, how are you shooting with a 1911? Just wondering. I shoot better with my 1911's than my glock, but I work primarily with my g19 as I carry it.

Im not sure, Ill shoot a 1911 this weekend and report back. My father has a 1911 I can borrow (springfield) to see. I dont own a 45 because of the cost of ammo, but a couple mags wont break me.

Im leaving both eyes open when shooting, Is that the proper way to do it?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    BEMike, nice job. People laughed at me when I bought a Feinwerkbau air rifle. They laughed at me when I bought a IMZH 46M air pistol. Training daily with that rifle got my highpower rifle offhand scores up to pretty respectable levels. The air pistol got my handgun skills up. Of course, air guns are just toys for kids right?
    You done good Leo. Our club hosts indoor air gun matches during the winter. Many of our competitors are high power rifle shooters and bullseye pistol shooters wanting to sharpen the fundamentals. Shooters who sees how accurate match quality air guns are and try it and sees how hard it is, soon change their minds. Air guns are very unforgiving of improper marksmanship fundamentals and give great feedback due to the lack of noise and recoil.

Last edited:

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County

Yes. Barring any vision issues both eyes open is optimal. Many of us (particularly those with old guy eyes) have to fight the tendancy to close the non-dominant eye. I catch myself squinting my left eye all the time and try to train myself out of it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yes. Barring any vision issues both eyes open is optimal. Many of us (particularly those with old guy eyes) have to fight the tendancy to close the non-dominant eye. I catch myself squinting my left eye all the time and try to train myself out of it.

Thanks, I've really never payed much attention to being accurate with a pistol (I figured minute of man is close enough for what I'm ever going to need a pistol for). But now I have a few buddies who want to shoot pistols fairly often and I have a little bit of a competitive streak and can't stand losing:D

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Im not sure, Ill shoot a 1911 this weekend and report back. My father has a 1911 I can borrow (springfield) to see. I dont own a 45 because of the cost of ammo, but a couple mags wont break me.

For me, my eyes constantly try to decide which eye is dominant, so I have to squint to make the proper one dominant...otherwise my mind plays focus tricks with me :)

Waiting on the 1911 report :)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I seem to shoot better when I am not concentrating so hard/bullseye shooting.
    but I usually shoot a 3" group at 12 yards with a flyer or two that puts it to 4" :(

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks, I've really never payed much attention to being accurate with a pistol (I figured minute of man is close enough for what I'm ever going to need a pistol for). But now I have a few buddies who want to shoot pistols fairly often and I have a little bit of a competitive streak and can't stand losing:D

You need to come shoot USPSA with us in the spring. Warning - it's addictive.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yeah, I've gotten to where a sort of "mid-point" between the front sight and bull works well for me. If I do just one or the other then I relatively cannot see the other object at all.

The other issue for me is "fuzziness." I'm not near or far sighted, but fine lines are fuzzy. I received my first Rx reading glasses just two years ago (as well as my first eye exam), LOL.
    If you truly want to learn to shoot accurately with a pistol, you need to really focus just on a part of the front sight. Looking between the front sight and the target won't get you there. I've taken in a gun or mockup with sights, to the optometrist's office (with prior approval) to have a pair of dedicated shooting glasses made that allowed me to focus on the front sight. Most people who try to shoot pistols never really learn to focus on the front sight and ignore the target. Of course learning to allow the trigger to break without disturbing the sight alignment takes some training, as well. Of course at 7 yards and under, one can learn to point shoot pretty nice groups without looking at the sights, but focusing on the target instead.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you truly want to learn to shoot accurately with a pistol, you need to really focus just on a part of the front sight. Looking between the front sight and the target won't get you there. I've taken in a gun or mockup with sights, to the optometrist's office (with prior approval) to have a pair of dedicated shooting glasses made that allowed me to focus on the front sight. Most people who try to shoot pistols never really learn to focus on the front sight and ignore the target. Of course learning to allow the trigger to break without disturbing the sight alignment takes some training, as well. Of course at 7 yards and under, one can learn to point shoot pretty nice groups without looking at the sights, but focusing on the target instead.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about getting some Rx safety glasses made next time I go for an eye exam. I'm not a "bull's eye shooter" with pistols though. I'm content with 3" groups when concentrating my training on combatives. I prefer long gun for precision shooting. Haven't shot a competition in about 6 years now though, but when my schedule frees up more I think I'll get back into it.

I can focus on the front sight and maintain it just fine. Even the tip of the front sight, but when I do the bull is so fuzzy I have a hard time identifying where exactly I'm aimed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, I've been thinking about getting some Rx safety glasses made next time I go for an eye exam. I'm not a "bull's eye shooter" with pistols though. I'm content with 3" groups when concentrating my training on combatives. I prefer long gun for precision shooting. Haven't shot a competition in about 6 years now though, but when my schedule frees up more I think I'll get back into it.

I can focus on the front sight and maintain it just fine. Even the tip of the front sight, but when I do the bull is so fuzzy I have a hard time identifying where exactly I'm aimed.

This is me also.

Top Bottom