• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    As alot of you know Im no good with a pistol. By no good I mean horrible. my question is what is the average shooters 15-17 round group size at 10ish yards with a polymer pistol? Im not talking speed shooting, im looking for bullseye shooting. Im not saying my group size from yesterday until I see how dumb im going to look.:rolleyes:

I know everyone on the internet can shoot a dime at 100 yards with a pistol on handed with a live rattlesnake in their pocket.:D

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    During timed qualifying I can put all 12 rounds in the 10 or X ring at 10 yards with my dept. Issued G27 and Speer lawman ammo

Btw, that's on a b27 target

1D301524-865E-4345-970C-4AD254B9180A-1343-000002D0297E1CAC.jpg

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have plastic pistols, but I shoot my carry guns more which are typically all metal guns. I can typically shoot my Beretta in a 2.5-3"-ish circle. I can keyhole a lot of rounds with a 1911, but I don't shoot them often, probably a 1-2" group. This is usually in the 7-10 yard area that I'm shooting.

Outside of that I couldn't tell you. I don't shoot my Glocks and plastics enough to remember what kind of grouping I get. :dunno:

I'm sure it's probably worse though. Hope it helps

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have plastic pistols, but I shoot my carry guns more which are typically all metal guns. I can typically shoot my Beretta in a 2.5-3"-ish circle. I can keyhole a lot of rounds with a 1911, but I don't shoot them often, probably a 1-2" group. This is usually in the 7-10 yard area that I'm shooting.

Outside of that I couldn't tell you. I don't shoot my Glocks and plastics enough to remember what kind of grouping I get. :dunno:

I'm sure it's probably worse though. Hope it helps

It does, I was shooting a g17 yesterday and couldnt help but be reminded how bad I was:D

For some reason when shooting a pistol I will do what I precieve to be the exact same sight picture and trigger control 2x in a row and get diffrent results each time. Im thinking it has somthing to do with my head position but who knows

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    It does, I was shooting a g17 yesterday and couldnt help but be reminded how bad I was:D

For some reason when shooting a pistol I will do what I precieve to be the exact same sight picture and trigger control 2x in a row and get diffrent results each time. Im thinking it has somthing to do with my head position but who knows
    Cross eye dominant?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    When most people refer to "stance" they are including the positioning of their torso. I consider that "posture."

What sort of "posture" are you shooting? Isoceles, Weaver, etc? (I don't really care about how your feet/lower half are positioned)

Typically, I recommend an Isoceles "posture" with both arms as locked out as possible and both shoulders sort of "rolled forward" to provide a bit of natural sight alignment. It seems to eliminate a lot of variables which allows you to concentrate on what really matters (trigger control and sight alignment)... :dunno:

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Make your target-four targets in one. Use the following for double taps. Yes, shoot two bullets then move to the next area as follows. Double tap!

1. Bullseye in center of chest (two shots or double tap)
    2. Center of head (double tap)
    3. Two inches inside the corner of each shoulder. (double tap on each shoulder).

The idea is not to use the shoulder for a target on a real bad guy, but to change your target, or bulleye to improve your aim, and ability to refocus on a moving target, or different target during practice.

Work toward double taps with a 1-2 inch spread between holes in each zone, above.

This also causes you to move to a different target. Ever heard of a moving target? Or, would you expect the bad guy to be standing still like a tree after 4 shots?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Typically, I recommend an Isoceles "posture" with both arms as locked out as possible and both shoulders sort of "rolled forward" to provide a bit of natural sight alignment. It seems to eliminate a lot of variables which allows you to concentrate on what really matters (trigger control and sight alignment)... :dunno:

Ill give that a try. many years ago I was told to keep my elbows bent to use my arms as shock absorbers.

thanks

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I do not necessarily shoot for bullseye, but I do take my time and aim for it. between 7-10 yards with my Sig P250, I can consistently hold 4-5 inch groupings.. I realize this is not anything spectacular by any means, but when I shoot in quick succession, I get the same results.

Does this mean I'm no good with a pistol?

Ask a bad guy at 7-10 yards ;)

Top Bottom