• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    A few last pics from the Smokeys this week. The mama and cubs were out in the parking lot again this morning sniffing around vehicles for food as everyone was packing to leave. It's almost like she knows when that happens. I watched her climb on some guys tonneau cover and I tried to run her off to keep her from tearing it up. She was persistent and ended up ripping the cover loose off the back of the bed and came out with what looked like a bag of trash. I guess he had that coming.

1000002252.jpg

1000002250.jpg

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Gorgeous.
    Is it crowded now?
    Do you have a pass for going to the sun road?
    It was still closed when we were there, and I feel like we missed out on some epicness.
    We were in East Glacier. We heard West Glacier was very crowded. The Sun Road seemed very crowded, so much so that people wanted to park, but couldn't. I forget the name of one place where cars circled the parking lot creating gridlock because they couldn't find a free space. We booked a package with Amtrak which included a bus tour of the Sun Road. We got to see a lot of the eastern half of the park and some of the central, never got over to see anything on the west side.

edit: Anyone wanting to go should do it now. They said the last glacier will be gone by 2030. I saw a map which showed the number of glaciers over the years and it's startling how few there are left.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    We were in East Glacier. We heard West Glacier was very crowded. The Sun Road seemed very crowded, so much so that people wanted to park, but couldn't. I forget the name of one place where cars circled the parking lot creating gridlock because they couldn't find a free space. We booked a package with Amtrak which included a bus tour of the Sun Road. We got to see a lot of the eastern half of the park and some of the central, never got over to see anything on the west side.

edit: Anyone wanting to go should do it now. They said the last glacier will be gone by 2030. I saw a map which showed the number of glaciers over the years and it's startling how few there are left.
    That parking thing is the norm for this time of year. A little better in early June when we went but still cars constantly looking for spaces at every turnoff.

The package idea is a good one.
    We met quite a few people who explored both sides and everyone said the East was preferred. Not that the west isn’t awesome too, but you at least have three entrances to pick from on the east side.

Reactions: DCR

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    That parking thing is the norm for this time of year. A little better in early June when we went but still cars constantly looking for spaces at every turnoff.

The package idea is a good one.
    We met quite a few people who explored both sides and everyone said the East was preferred. Not that the west isn’t awesome too, but you at least have three entrances to pick from on the east side.
    Oh yeah, we returned to a week of Covid.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Top Bottom