• ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I used to work iron and heights.
    There's a time and place for safety gear. That stuff can get you killed or squashed.
    I froze one day. I can barely get two steps up on a ladder anymore without locking up.
    I love to fly though. Go figure.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought current regs required two lanyards when working at heights? That way you can be tied off 100%

I've got a cousin in law that was a carpenter, one of his jobs was building the scaffolding on top of the tower so they could paint the antennas.

See above.

Two lanyards are only useful in limited situations. I rarely, as in never, used a double. Only time I'd need one, walking down the crane runway, or walking out to the trolley. Before the double, I just "walked the rail".

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I used to work iron and heights.
    There's a time and place for safety gear. That stuff can get you killed or squashed.
    I froze one day. I can barely get two steps up on a ladder anymore without locking up.
    I love to fly though. Go figure.

I am the same way. Love to fly, got PPL, rappelling is awesome but ladders are terrible and skydiving is right out. It's weird.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    I am skeptical.
    At that height I would think the wind would not allow you to stand that so relaxed. Would they have to be set on top from a cable fixed to a tower crane? Not enough room to crawl over the flange they are standing on from below?
    I am not an iron worker or have I worked around anything like this type of construction. Were they fired immediately after this photo and the prime contractor fined by the appropriate state occupational and safety administration?

Morgan88

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I saw an old pic somewhere of a lumberjack who was standing on his head, on top of a 200'+ redwood tree that he had climbed and cut the top off of.:n00b:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am skeptical.
    At that height I would think the wind would not allow you to stand that so relaxed. Would they have to be set on top from a cable fixed to a tower crane? Not enough room to crawl over the flange they are standing on from below?
    I am not an iron worker or have I worked around anything like this type of construction. Were they fired immediately after this photo and the prime contractor fined by the appropriate state occupational and safety administration?

Morgan88

Actually, if you were to look at construction there is always a crane slightly taller than the existing state of construction. Often a worker will put a foot on the hook a hand on the cable and get a free ride to his work station.

Potain%20at%20Green%20Island%202%20-%20Ukraine.jpg

Top Bottom