• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Look for some of the all steel control handles from old tractors. The ones that are offset are the best ones. That big steel knob on the end makes a great striking instrument. Throw it on the floor board or in the trunk with a few other parts or maybe in a cardboard box with some other parts, nobody will notice it. Just remember, it can break a 2X4 into with one blow. One powerful impact weapon.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    As anyone that has been to an MCS class about the effectiveness of attacking the head even with light shots while wearing headgear. And that is with boxing gloves on, using one of these tools provided a concentration of force on a small surface area.

We don't teach joint locks or pain compliance. Ju Jitsu is based on chokes and joint locks but the idea was to lock/break/snap and onto the next attacker, not lock/squeeze/wait longer...focus on one guy. The way I see it in a SD situation the citizen has little need for "joint locks". Pain complience and pressure points also have little merit for SD even for police officers. If you are defending yourself you need to destroy sight, base, and air. Use Combative Anatomy and the law of extentension to attack the Central Nervous System (head), and hinge joints, the elbows and knees.

Pressure points are for parlor tricks and to check off boxes at the police academy. If you do use pressure points they should have a mechanical advantage that also breaks your attackers balance. When you manipulate a point on someone how do you know it works? They eithers stop and pull away and say "ouch" And what happens when they don't? You become task fixated and push harder? What does this do? It deadens the point decreasing the change of any effectiveness. And where are most pressure points attacked from? In front and inside your attacker, when you should be moving to the outside and the rear before pulling them backwards to the deck.

Again don't get caught up on the tool. Use it to 1) transition to your firearm, or 2) use it to create trauma allowing you to extricate yourself from the situation.

About 10 years ago the dept sent me to a class on expandable baton. The guy who was teaching it was a real squirrell. He ran a security business complete with cars with lightbars and all. He also ran a small dojo and was obviously a God to those he employed. Neither he nor is staff could carry firearms so the ASP was the tool they focused on and treated it like we treat our pistols. The cat was a real goof. The funny thing was that like most people using expandable batons he failed to exploit the usefulness of the tool in it's prescribed enviroment and instead tried to use it where it did not belong.

Focus with your mind to will you hands and what you can do with them, if you can pick a tool up and use it that is great. But the chain of command goes brain, hands, tool. Not tool, hands, brain. If you let your tools dictate the fight you are setting yourself up for damage. Don't hit someone with a stick when you can smash their head into a wall.- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Look for some of the all steel control handles from old tractors. The ones that are offset are the best ones. That big steel knob on the end makes a great striking instrument. Throw it on the floor board or in the trunk with a few other parts or maybe in a cardboard box with some other parts, nobody will notice it. Just remember, it can break a 2X4 into with one blow. One powerful impact weapon.

CLT, what would be your primary targets for the handle.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    We don't teach joint locks or pain compliance. Ju Jitsu is based on chokes and joint locks but the idea was to lock/break/snap and onto the next attacker, not lock/squeeze/wait longer...focus on one guy. The way I see it in a SD situation the citizen has little need for "joint locks".

One of the first things I was taught in BJJ was that going to the ground against multiple people is a great way to find out how good your opponents are at soccer kicks.

Going to the ground is really only an option when it is a 1v1 situation, and then you still want to end the fight as soon as possible. Carrying a sturdy pen sounds like a great way to do that if the need arises. :yesway:

That said, I would still rather retreat or create space in order to draw my firearm.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Testicles have a very low pain tolerance level. ;)

:laugh::laugh:

I fight quite a bit with buddies and at MMA class, and I practice shooting and knife fighting, but there is some kind of middle ground that is difficult to determine, which is perhaps where these objects could be useful.

On the one hand, you fight to subdue. On the other, you are gonna kill somebody. Middle ground can be tricky. :dunno:

I was once very close to being attacked by a 6'4" 250 pound guy who was mentally retarded. Fortunately, I was able to talk him out of it, but I've often wondered just what I would have done. Maybe one of these little "toys" would have been helpful in a situation like that.

Something to think about, anyhow.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    CLT, what would be your primary targets for the handle.

Forearms, upper arms, shoulders joints, collar bone, hips and thighs. If I was on the ground shins and tops of the feet. This has a lot of power in it. It will break bones. A head shot would kill someone easy. A shot to the ribs would do sever damage. I want to shut them down, not kill them if I do not have too.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Here is the thing with stick work, especially with a escrima stick or expandable baton-

Everyone has the same startle response, the hands come up to the head, because of this initial overhead strikes aimed at the head and shoulders will likely be mitigated by arms getting in the way.

Stand with any stick down at your side, that is our ready position. Now envision snapping it up and towards the bad guys groin, whether or not it hits the groin is not the point. The idea is the same as a ball tap, when you fire low, he will respond low with his hands and face. Your real target is the side of his neck and face. This is extremely hard to defend against and lessens the chance of your stick getting trapped by your attackers arm. You could also do this same strike but under the chin, hopefully they will have their teeth their tongue between their teeth.

Take a piece of real "parachute cord";) and a tennis ball. Put a hole in the tennis ball and hang it about 5'9 inches off the ground, right around where the average bad guys head will be. With the stick/cane of your choice practice these backhand strike from different angles and differences. You will get accurate fast.

I would take a rattan escrima stick over an expanded ASP or heavy baton any day of the week. - George

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    :laugh::laugh:

I fight quite a bit with buddies and at MMA class, and I practice shooting and knife fighting, but there is some kind of middle ground that is difficult to determine, which is perhaps where these objects could be useful.

On the one hand, you fight to subdue. On the other, you are gonna kill somebody. Middle ground can be tricky. :dunno:

I was once very close to being attacked by a 6'4" 250 pound guy who was mentally retarded. Fortunately, I was able to talk him out of it, but I've often wondered just what I would have done. Maybe one of these little "toys" would have been helpful in a situation like that.

Something to think about, anyhow.

That middle ground is reached when they drop to the ground with their hands behind their back and they STFU. Any hand to hand, rolling on the ground, or hitting them with something is purely goal oriented for me at 54 years of age, that goal being to get my F gun out and shoot them before they can do something similar to me.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have been training in escrima for a very short time but have learnt a thing or two.

light sticks are great, light hits can break the thought or attack plan of someone else,

If some one tries to hit you move so their target changes,

going to the ground is great on TV, or on a mat, but it your on the ground and another person comes up you are severly disatvantaged, and if you practice take downs where you go to the gound first , on your back, ( like TV MMA fights) think about this, how distracting will it be to go to the ground on rocks? how will you respond to going to the ground on top of a beer bottle?

Light open handed smacks to sensitive areas of the body can most people to pause, block, or stop attacking,

can't wait to learn more.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    When I was a younger man I found that a skateboard was a very effective tool to defend myself. Nowadays, the CRKT M 16-14 big dog is big enough to be used as a striking weapon.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Has anyone used any of Cold Steel synthetic material impact weapons? Some of the clubs and sticks seem like good ideas.

Due to Cold Steals marketing I have found that more police seem to know about them than many other companies. This will be bad during electronic discovery when they find out your cane/stick is a purpose driven weapon and not an obvious therapeutic aid. The best can I have found for what I do was $19.99 at CVS and I bought while doing a course in Indy. I use it in public often, enough so people ask me how much pain I am in and what happened. - George

Top Bottom