• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    I agree Ammo selection is a key factor.. being a avid bird hunter and shotgun freak 12 guage pump in youth model for youngsters or some smaller stature ladies.(take your pick.) with adjusted length of pull and a buttpad is the way to go. I do prefer the mossy 500 for ease of use for new shotgun users (its safety is on top and easy to see!) 12 guage is readily avail in all loads, even number 8 24 3/4 1oz at in home distance in a cylinder bore will punch a sizable hole in anything at in house distances and wont over penatrate. You might struggle to get a suitable defense load for a 20 or 16 guage if your a buckshot fan. There are techniques used in defensive shotgunning that help reduce felt recoil check out instructor ken hackathorns technique for this...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The 12ga. is the way to go IMHO. If you are worried about the recoil, there are "light" and "reduced recoil" loads out there that will suit your needs. That is maybe the greatest thing about the 12ga, the ammo variety.
    And, you can ALWAYS, start reloading, and make what you want, recoil, light, or Magnum, HEAVY .....

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I think loading would be cool and I would like to do it. But I hear the cost is high to start up.

I am thinking of picking up a Sage (I think that was the name) from Dicks sporting good. They have a 12ga pump for $275

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    Have you checked the pawn shop? or any local auctions... Unless you want new you can pick the the ole pumper everywhere do you have leftys in the house if so that might stir your shotgun descision in a different direction.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I think loading would be cool and I would like to do it. But I hear the cost is high to start up.

I am thinking of picking up a Sage (I think that was the name) from Dicks sporting good. They have a 12ga pump for $275
    You can pick up a new maverick 88 at walmart for $200 which is a great shotgun that is made in the US.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have tried the pawn shops in town but they don't sell fire arms.

No leftys

I will have to check walmart that is a better price. The sage has the 18.5" barrel so I won't have to do anything after I get it. But for $200 it would be worth checking out

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I vote 12ga for the simple reason of variety. With the selection of slugs, buckshot, birdshot you can hunt about anything. You may want to look into the H&R Pardner as it is a Remington 870 clone but priced much cheaper.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    12 gauge is the only way to go.

If you buy the cheap walmart winchester bulk packs, the recoil won't be much different from a 410. The versatility of 12 gauge takes it from bunny fart to bear killer.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    My personal choice for shotgun self defense is the 12 ga Mossberg 590a1. Yes, it's heavy and over engineered, but I like it that way lol! I know that just because it is what the troops use doesn't mean that it is the best (looking at you Beretta 92) but this shotgun is just a beast, I love mine.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Don't forget the weight difference in shouldering a fully loaded 12 vs 20....my unloaded 12 weighs as much as my loaded 20.

Granted, one has more bells and whistles, but the ammo is definitely heavier.

stroyed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Andersonville,IN
    I know where you can get a like new Mossberg Persuader 8 shot with a synthetic stock and also a pistol grip. Comes with a 20 inch cylinder bore barrel and also a 28 inch vent rib field barrel. Best of both worlds. All in perfect condition.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    I would go with the 12 ga simply due to the ammo variety and the availability.

As for the shotgun. It would depend on your budget but after shooting the FN SLP I can't say enough how impressed I am with it. The other option if you budget won't allow a FN is the Moss 930. It's probably the best bang for the buck auto shotgun available.

Top Bottom