• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am thinking of picking up another shotgun and need some advice.

I have a Mossberg new haven 12 ga and a older single shot 410. I am wanting to keep the diff ammo choices down.

The 12 ga is more common but it has a bit of a kick and not sure about letting the kids shoot one.

Price wise I don't see a huge diff.

Should I pick up another 12ga or another 410?

Forgot to say what I am going to use the guns for.
    The guns are for home defense mostly and some days at the shooting range. With the ability to bast zombies when the SHTF

Last edited:

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    What are you going to be using it for: sporting clays/trap/skeet/etc., bird hunting, deer hunting, something fun to shoot or what?

If I only had a 12ga & a .410 I'd be looking very hard for a 20ga.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I was going to say a 28 ga if he is small bird hunting with kids. That is what I started out on and I still have mine, a 28 is a great little shot gun but I have not bought ammo for it in a long while and it may be scarce around here.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Forgot to say what I am going to use the guns for.
    The guns are for home defense mostly. With the ability to bast zombies when the SHTF

I also updated the first post

IF I go with a 20ga I will have to get a diff type of ammo and I would rather not have to worry about that

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The 12ga. is the way to go IMHO. If you are worried about the recoil, there are "light" and "reduced recoil" loads out there that will suit your needs. That is maybe the greatest thing about the 12ga, the ammo variety.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The 12ga. is the way to go IMHO. If you are worried about the recoil, there are "light" and "reduced recoil" loads out there that will suit your needs. That is maybe the greatest thing about the 12ga, the ammo variety.

I am leaning to the 12ga. They do have so many options.

I don't think the 410 is worth that much or I would sell it and just go with 12ga

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    I would say go with the 12 ga. there are many ways to lessen the kick. like a better recoil pad, plus with the 12ga you should have a little better resale value if you ever go to sell it.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Ok, you admit the .410 is not worth that much, so ignore the fact that you have it or give it away to some kid who will use it. Go shopping for a new gun since you have only one caliber now. May opinion, make it a 20 gauge. Now go, you have research and shopping to do. Good combo 12 and 20 gauge.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Or maybe a 16 gauge? Remington 870 Express....there are several options for loads today, including non-toxic. It doesnt have the recoil of a 12 yet packs more punch than a 20

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I think I am going to get the 12ga just need to find a good deal.

If I get rid of the 410 why should i get a diff gauge? I am sure there is a reason for more then one gauge but I don't know what.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If your're looking at HD and zombie elimination purposes, just stick with the 12ga. That's all you need. :yesway:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    me personaly Im really wanting a 20ga but I understand the 12ga an the variaty of ammo out there. I just think the 20ga is a good blend of ligher recoil and still have the power to go deer hunting. My vote would be for a 20ga.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Go 20 guage for the younger and smaller crowd. Keep the 12 guage for yourself.

They can always move up to a 12 guage later on, if they feel the need too.

There are you tube videos of smaller people shooting 12 and 20 guage shotguns. The 20 seems to be the easier one to handle overall.

More untrained people seem to have no problem and want to shoot the 20 guage.

A lot of shotgun newbies and younger people get psyched out with a 12 guage for some reason. lol

I am heading towards the 20 guage for the rest of the family. It will mainly be used for self defense.

I will still keep a 12 guage for myself. Good luck in your choice.

Last edited:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    get a 20ga. The 410 ammo is too expensive - unless you reload.

My kids have 20s for clays and hunting and I have 12s and 20s. I mostly hunt with a 20 - pheasants/grouse. Never found i needed a 12 for pheasant hunting plus I really dont like lugging one around. My 12s I use for sporting clays mostly and of course turkey. I also shoot a lot of clay with a 20.:twocents:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'd lean to the 12 Ga. as it has to be the most popular shotgun gauge/caliber in the US. This would make ammo types and availability very good for the 12 over the other gauges on the market. If recoil is a problem then the Remmy 1100 Tac or a Mossberg 930spx, heck even a Saiga 12 would do the job and reduce felt recoil... But keeping with the end of the world concept the op stated in his post I would move towards a pump rather than a auto as the pump will handle homemade shells better if a time comes when you have to make your own black powder to fuel them with.. The semi's would get corroded up pretty quick if forced to use smoky shells in a pinch... The Rem 870, Mossberg 500 or Benelli Nova would do well... in that case.

20 Gauge is out there but I always see 12 gauge ammo everywhere shot shells are sold...

My .02 cents worth..

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    .410 is over priced and under powered. Buy a 12 or 20. IMO, the .410 is not a good learner shotgun, a 20 is a much better bet. I consider the .410 to be something that experienced shooters play around with because it becomes too easy to hit clays or birds with anything else :):

back40hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    A 12 with a good pad like a Limbsaver is not a bad kicker. If you were open to adding another caliber a .20 ga is great for kids.

Top Bottom