• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertIN

Plinker
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Would a rich farmer have a Kentucky rifle?
    A Kentucky/Pennsylvania would be appropriate for a well-off citizen, as they required more work (rifling, styling, etc.) than a trade gun (mass produced). My understanding is that many of the KY/PA rifles were commissioned one offs by wealthier individuals but not always.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Buffalo Arms has the Pedersoli in stock:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Get a used 20ga smoothbore on the Muzzleloader Forum page. You can get into a nice semi-custom for around $1000 - $1500 and will be able to use it here in Indiana to hunt deer, turkey and squirrel.

Dirty Steve

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    Get a used 20ga smoothbore on the Muzzleloader Forum page. You can get into a nice semi-custom for around $1000 - $1500 and will be able to use it here in Indiana to hunt deer, turkey and squirrel.

Dirty Steve
    I looked through the first 3 pages of the classifieds and only saw trade gun mentioned once I will have to dig a little deeper or watch closer

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I looked through the first 3 pages of the classifieds and only saw trade gun mentioned once I will have to dig a little deeper or watch closer
    It's not like shopping at Walmart where you can pick one up off the rack everyday. You'll have to watch, but you will find one. Track of the Wolf is also a good source.

Dirty Steve

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    It's not like shopping at Walmart where you can pick one up off the rack everyday. You'll have to watch, but you will find one. Track of the Wolf is also a good source.

Dirty Steve
    lol I understand that it just seemed by the way it was worded there was a plethora of them available on that forum.
    I browse the site throughout the day, if I see one I will send a link.
    I appreciate that right this second financially I wouldn’t be able to act even if I found the perfect one this post was to help me find what I will be looking for, once the funds present themselves.

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    I am seeing a trend with all the suggestions, unfortunately. I can’t afford any of them at this time. So until one pops up for trade or I liquidate I will just be window shopping.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    I am seeing a trend with all the suggestions, unfortunately. I can’t afford any of them at this time. So until one pops up for trade or I liquidate I will just be window shopping.
    You could go for a less expensive but maybe not totally area/historically accurate option to get your feet wet, get yourself into the hobby to understand it all better, get your kit together, then down the road get something nice.

It's unfortunate that the market for these isn't huge so there aren't as many factory options at a lower price point.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The best time to find a used muzzle loader will be after the close of hunting season in January. It is not as active as bow hunters gets as they seem to upgrade for 10-20 FPS every year or two. (Say’s the guy who’s last compound bow purchase was in 1996)

You are also looking for a specialty item which in my opinion drops about 80/90 precent of the available items for sale off the market.

Your best chance to get a great deal on a great sub 45 caliber loader will be in the estate market. The guy who cared and cleaned it but became older and used it less passes and his children know the AR/AK pistols and such have value. They often don’t know about the smoke poles the double barrel clay guns and the older single shot rifles. Once again the percentage to find what you need decreases and your time searching for the this will need to increase.

To me the search is all the fun. I would stash a little cash each month and decide what trade bait items you have. If you can move a trade bait item for cash (part of the fun search) add that to the cash reserves and if another trade bait item comes along you have the cash to purchase it. Like wash your hair. Lather rinse repeat.

Good luck. Ps their used to be some good smoke pole shoots and re enactment's In The state and the price will be higher than estate sales but you might find the perfect fit and obscure item there that you would not find at say gun shops or gun shows. Many gun stores and show sellers shy away for the used muzzleloader market because they move slower than other items

Top Bottom