• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I agree on getting in shape. There are 1000 ways to do it. They all basically involve moving a lot more than you currently do. Find something you like and get going.

As for martial arts and self defense, I am not any kind of expert. I do like the seminars that iCP mentioned. However, these kind of things need to be practiced to the point of making them a reaction. So finding a good place to train is important.

Here are my experiences with a place I really enjoy in Terre Haute. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...aining-mcvicker%92s-martial-arts-jkd-bjj.html

Where is the Krav Maga class you're looking at?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I totally agree with Jackson that if you're serious about it, you need a long term plan. I should have been more clear in my response -- I definitely don't think you can get what you need from just going to a few seminars, I only intended to say that we should look to guys like that, the true experts, for the answers about what works and ideas on how to focus our training. Seminars like that can be a great kickstart to remind us that we need more work, or they can be the cherry on top of our regular, long-term training. I also completely give the icp seal of approval to the place Jackson is training -- you would have a really tough time beating that in the state of Indiana.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I don't have the opportunity to train with other folks much due to work and location (or desire anymore really, some idiots are just out there to hurt you because they think it's the cool MMA thing to do. I find I'm a lot more into injury prevention than I used to be). I use a heavy bag pretty regularly to keep up with the skill sets then try and stay in shape with runner, weights, chin up bar. It gets harder every year...but once you start moving it's easier to keep moving. (until you sprain an ankle on the heavy bag...ouch...ouch...ouch...)

Traveling for work makes it harder. SOME hotels have decent set ups but they are the exception. I travel with an exercise set made up of different weights of surgical tubing. Forget who it was made by but it's better than nothing.

Given all that though...courage and tenacity often wins over superior skill. Work on your conditioning to stay in the fight, the longer you can go the less likely you are to be the loser. Make yourself the toughest person the POS attacking you has every had to kill. :twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I totally agree with Jackson that if you're serious about it, you need a long term plan. I should have been more clear in my response -- I definitely don't think you can get what you need from just going to a few seminars, I only intended to say that we should look to guys like that, the true experts, for the answers about what works and ideas on how to focus our training. Seminars like that can be a great kickstart to remind us that we need more work, or they can be the cherry on top of our regular, long-term training. I also completely give the icp seal of approval to the place Jackson is training -- you would have a really tough time beating that in the state of Indiana.

My inherent aversion to physical exertion, sweating, and pain precludes any such endeavors. That limits my physical training options to pontificating, snacking, and perhaps a nap.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My inherent aversion to physical exertion, sweating, and pain precludes any such endeavors. That limits my physical training options to pontificating, snacking, and perhaps a nap.

You are good at all of those mentioned above. Don't forget about running your mouth and watching TV.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I would go KM hands down...however what you need to do is go with what is going to be most convenient for you at least at first. Karate. Why? First off there is nothing wrong with it as a self defense form. If you stick with it (and practice outside of class) you will find yourself in the best shape of your life before much time passes. But unless you are already very self disciplined and committed that process at times is going to suck rotten eggs, you are going to hate life and you are going to look for reasons to quit, which is why I don't think a 90 minute drive each way is a good idea at first. If you truly embrace the art you will learn much about yourself both physically and mentally.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Started with KM and a vivofit tracker to remind me when I have been sitting at work too long. KM had to go on hold for a couple of months. Walking around more has had a return in energy level in general. So slow start but losing some weight which is making it easier to move around more.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    There are two types of exercise, aerobic and anerobic. Aerobic is like running, you build up a tolerance and get use to a given type of activity. Anerobic means without oxygen. It's like running as hard and as fast as you can. You will probably drop after a very short period of time. So the object is to set a plan and practice it numerous times. Most people won't last in an all out brawl very long. I did ten years of judo because it is an art that is always "up close". Repetition is the key factor in any art. Also there is the fact that judo requires only a couple of moves (keep it simple). Too many moves is too confusing. Gun retention can be nothing more than lowering your center of gravity, placing your hands on your gun and start twisting. Also strike the radial nerve in the other's forearm for pain. If you come down hard enough, it fells like his arm is broke.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    pDSP1-10514698dt.jpg
    Buy this! Punch, kick, attack. "Punching Bob" will stand there and take it! He can be pricey so look for sale. Bought mine 10 years ago and kicking his @ss every other day. Fill the base with play sand from any big box lumber store. If you fill the base with water "punching Bob will move around when you smack him around.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Stamina is the biggest thing you should be concerned about at this point going in. If you can stay in the fight your done, if you don't have some stamina its going to be hard to train in any Martial art at first and as with most people if its to hard in the beginning their most likely to quit. There's a lot to be said for just simple jogging. Its free and you can do it easily no matter were your at. Get a decent pair of running shoes and a road and your in. An contrary to popular belief this can even be done in the colder months as well, just dress accordingly. Get yourself some wind about you and some legs underneath. You'd be surprised at how much more confidant you can feel about yourself by not feeling like your going to pass out after a flight of stairs. Later on if you want to make the investment get a treadmill I use mine 4 times a week and do light weight training as well, I'm now in my mid 30s and although I don't feel as physically fit as I did playing varsity basketball in HS. I do feel confident that I could run a mile to get away from a threat if need be in a SHTF scenario or not get winded right of the bat if I needed to defend myself. Just some thoughts, hope they help OP.... :twocents:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Stamina is the biggest thing you should be concerned about at this point going in. If you can stay in the fight your done, if you don't have some stamina its going to be hard to train in any Martial art at first and as with most people if its to hard in the beginning their most likely to quit. There's a lot to be said for just simple jogging. Its free and you can do it easily no matter were your at. Get a decent pair of running shoes and a road and your in. An contrary to popular belief this can even be done in the colder months as well, just dress accordingly. Get yourself some wind about you and some legs underneath. You'd be surprised at how much more confidant you can feel about yourself by not feeling like your going to pass out after a flight of stairs. Later on if you want to make the investment get a treadmill I use mine 4 times a week and do light weight training as well, I'm now in my mid 30s and although I don't feel as physically fit as I did playing varsity basketball in HS. I do feel confident that I could run a mile to get away from a threat if need be in a SHTF scenario or not get winded right of the bat if I needed to defend myself. Just some thoughts, hope they help OP.... :twocents:
    You are correct, stamina is very important. It is a balance. You may run miles but have no strength to take care of business at the end OR you are strong as an ox but gas out quickly. You need to be able to do both.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Regardless of what you choose, being more fit will help.

Why not do walking/jogging a few nights a week? If you do start taking a class or hitting the bag, you won't be as winded and your risk of injury is significantly reduced with each pound you lose. Fat guys have more mass to move around and physics says that's an advantage when it's directed somewhere but as you note, it's only an advantage for a few seconds.

Be fit to fight!

(For the record, I'm a fat guy and love to eat 'murican foods but I set out just a few months ago to get my wind back. It doesn't take long! Only a few weeks of brisk walking turns to jogging and that turns into overall fitness. There's a reason cardio is rule #1!)

Top Bottom