• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    pDSP1-10514698dt.jpg
    Buy this! Punch, kick, attack. "Punching Bob" will stand there and take it! He can be pricey so look for sale. Bought mine 10 years ago and kicking his @ss every other day. Fill the base with play sand from any big box lumber store. If you fill the base with water "punching Bob will move around when you smack him around.

Are you practicing punching kids in the face? That's the kid version.

jlutzcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2015
    Searching
    Things you can work on now, even before you find a class.

STAMINA - I get a great workout chasing my 3 year old and her friends. We play keep away with a soccer ball. I chase them, they chase me. It's great to build up stamina in the heart, lungs, legs.

You could also play this game with a dog if you don't have kids.

ARM STRENGTH - a set of basic resistance bands can be used for various exercises at home. Use them while watching TV. Work on shoulder, bicep, forearm and wrist strength.

GRIP - hang from a pull up bar. You can do intervals of 15- 30 seconds starting out.

Another cheap grip exercise involves crumpling up full sheets of newspaper with one hand, until you can completely cover the ball of paper in your fist.

[video=youtube_share;q3jo1BAF37c]http://youtu.be/q3jo1BAF37c[/video]

Don't let the absence of a class keep you from getting started.

Nice video tutorial! I like this video class. Great physical training method has been showed in the tutorial.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I CrossFit and have done so for about 6 years now. However, I also teach defensive tactics to our recruits and started adding stand-up and ground fighting to my workouts (its a mixture of several disciplines). 2 days a week, us instructors will meet up and "roll" working on our ground skills but we all have gloves for the heavy bag or even sparring with each other. We generally workout 3 minutes rest 1, then we change up partners and do it again. After about 3-6 rounds we are spent. If you could find a good old fashion boxing gym, you will totally worked over AND learn some self defense while doing so.

The difference being is that's what you do for a living...which awesome and I respect that...the rest of us have to fit it in-and-around our work/lives schedule.

As a former high school biology/health/sex-ed teacher + Certified Athletic Trainer + Certified Personal Trainer...the best thing everyone can do is to build or increase their stamina...their cardiovascular efficiency...their physical strength (to fitness levels...not necessarily pro-athlete levels)...and increase their flexibility through stretching.

Keep in mind...depending on whom you are resisting...they may or may not be more 'fit' than you are...so any little bit you get is better than where you are!

Walking: Builds (some) cardiovascular stamina
    Jog/Run: Builds (moderate) cardiovascular stamina
    Spring/Stairs: Builds (higher) cardiovascular stamina

Resistance Training: Even at the mild level does build strength...which will aid you in a time of need. Moderate Resistance (strength/weight) training improves ALL the connective tissues...bones...ligaments...tendons...and improves muscle strength! It aids in dynamic movements (one's you're not necessarily prepared for...such as in a fight) and in getting up off the ground if you get knocked down.

If you're not doing some of these first...engaging in 'defensive tactics' training...may not aid you if you are not capable of performing the maneuvers properly.

Proper order for developmental training (recommendations):
    1) Strength - work on and develop first.
    2) Flexibility - work on and develop as you do #1.
    3) Cardio Efficiency - add as you develop strength so as not to injure one's self taking on too much from the start.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The difference being is that's what you do for a living...which awesome and I respect that...the rest of us have to fit it in-and-around our work/lives schedule.
    ALL my workouts are outside of work. Work is one of my motivations but it is not while I'm on the clock. I wish. Now, I am fortunate to work 0530 to 1400 so I have time to work out after shift is over. This week I'm in training, working 0800 to 1700, and it SUCKS!!! I have to get to the gym before 0600 to get my workout in.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A jump rope does wonders for those that can't get out to run, and running on icy roads in 20 degree air is NO fun at all.

I hate to admit it, but I have NEVER been able to jump rope .....
    It is a GREAT workout. If you had nothing else but a jump rope and a kettle bell, you'd be have enough for some great workouts. I do double unders and those suck the life from you.

Top Bottom