• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Use a remote trigger or props or airsoft or something else.

Don't go pointing guns at people you do not intend to shoot.

That's not safe, it's not a good habit to get into and it is not behavior to endorse by using it in art.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I'm a photographer. I"m geting ready to do a photoshoot with firearms. I certainly understand the firearms rules.

Empty Magazine
    Unload the Gun
    Check the Gun
    Unload the Gun
    Check the Gun
    Dry Fire

But I need to break the "never point at anything you don't intend to shoot" rule. Other than the safety precautions, what advice would you give? The intent is to portray handguns in a self defense role, and in a favorable light. Any insight you have is much appreciated.

Don't over think this. Just be 200% sure that the firearm is completely unloaded.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The "4 rules" are guidelines for home safety / cleaning / range / class.

It's physically impossible to obey all 4 rules every single instant of every single day.

In fact, if you follow any 3 of "the 4" - you'll still be quite safe.

If you make 100% sure that every single firearm is unloaded every single time it's handled by a model - I personally have zero qualms about leveling the firearm at the camera lens - even if it's being held by a person.

I'd advise you to look through Oleg Volk's work for inspiration. (Pay attention to how the muzzles he's shooting don't point directly at the camera lens - even though they may very well "sweep" the photographer)

Some may be NSFW
    VolkStudio Blog | "…I love that which they defend."
    Self-defense: a basic human right. (look for posters)

-J-

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Use a remote trigger or props or airsoft or something else.

Don't go pointing guns at people you do not intend to shoot.

That's not safe, it's not a good habit to get into and it is not behavior to endorse by using it in art.

The concept I have does not require anyone having a gun pointed at them, except the photographer.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Finger OFF the trigger, is IMPORTANT !!!!!

I understand this!

But, does the realism get lost when the photo depicts a finger along the slide,mere moments before the weapon is being used.

I always cringe when I see a finger on the trigger photo, but I'm looking to create a realistic, "moments before" type photo, and I wonder if it detracts.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    In class we used a two man system for each demo. One man clears the gun, the other validates, before any slightly unsafe behavior occurs. You can also insert a chamber flag after validating to be extra sure. And in your case I would ensure no ammo was in the room whatsoever, and that no guns leave the room, but still follow all above precautions, and no finger on trigger, and leave safety on.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I understand this!

But, does the realism get lost when the photo depicts a finger along the slide,mere moments before the weapon is being used.

I always cringe when I see a finger on the trigger photo, but I'm looking to create a realistic, "moments before" type photo, and I wonder if it detracts.

Gun owners would notice the lack of trigger discipline very quickly. Would the rest of the population notice where the finger is? I can't remember ever really paying attention before I was interested in guns. Can you position the model's finger to look like it's near the trigger? Maybe curled and just outside the trigger guard?

Can you remove the firing pin and reassemble a Glock, as alluded to previously? I wouldn't know how to remove it, so I don't know.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The concept I have does not require anyone having a gun pointed at them, except the photographer.

Your actions will tell the model that it is acceptable to point guns at people as long as they are unloaded. Any time someone asks you about the photos, your response will tell them that it is acceptable to point guns at people as long as they are unloaded.

It's not just whether it can be done safely by yourself that I am concerned with but the message that you are sending to other people. It contributes to people having a cavalier attitude about safety.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Its not that big of a deal for a photo shoot. The safety rules are not concrete as far as if one is not followed bad things happen. They check and balance each other. If you aren't gonna keep your finger off the trigger, keep it in a safe direction and assume its loaded, if you aren't gonna check to see if its loaded or not keep it in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger. If you aren't going to point in a safe direction then make sure it is unloaded and keep your finger off the trigger. Make sure you follow the other safety rules to a T and keep it in a safe direction as much as possible.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN

Here's a video of how to take the striker out. That should alleviate any safety concerns to you, models, and staff. Skip to 3:30 to get down to it. I've never done it on a glock, so I don't know if the back plate will stay on or not without the striker in there, if that's a concern for anything. My SR9 was a little different. The spring and detent that held the plate on was separate.

[ame]http://youtu.be/XfMxEf9PfT4[/ame]

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Essentially dry firing is okay as long as it's not a rim fire. Glocks are dry fired every time you go to disassemble them.
    I presume this is going to be a studio shoot? I agree that not having any type of ammo in the studio or on site is a first step. I also agree that a gun handler would be a good idea. That way they can control the gun at all times. Even to the point of dusting them for highlights if needed.
    I use remote triggers when I taking pictures of live fire. For a studio setup or a highly controlled remote shoot I think as long as you are extremely careful it would be fine.
    Dan

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It will be a studio shoot. I will be sure to unload them prior to entering the studio, and no ammunition will be in the studio. I do like the concept of a gun handler, though the set will be small enough where there won't be tons of people running around.

I'm very safety conscious. I have complete faith in my ability to ensure the safety of all those around. I want to be sure to portray firearms in a positive light, and not do anything to detract from that message. Thanks for all the input here. Many things to consider and implement.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    yellow training barrels, you put it in the gun in place of the regular barrel, as it is incapable of loading ammunition it is safe and its bright yellow color lets people around you know the weapon is safe

Training Barrel|Accessories| 5.11 Tactical

Here's a potentially better suggestion if the realism of your photos is important - The Train Safe firearm block. It's a similar principle to the training barrel above (prevents a live round from being chambered), but you have no yellow block in the chamber area to degrade the realism of your photos, and you can cut down the length so there's no orange bit sticking out the muzzle (again, potentially degrading the realism your photos if that's important to you).

Other advantages - they're far cheaper than the full barrels, can be used in any handgun of the same caliber, and there's no potential for the recoil spring lug to sheer off (which has happened). Be safe.

Linky ==>> https://www.letargets.com/estylez_ps.aspx?searchmode=category&searchcatcontext=~080000~080801

Top Bottom