• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Bushmaster puts out a 'Carbon-15' rifle made out of some type of plastic/polymer/carbon fiber/whatever.

Yup, and they are unreliable jokes, if not handgrenades. There is incident after incident of them dramatically failing and even injuring the shooter. Bushmaster should be ashamed. At least Cav. seems to have gotten it right. Personally, I just don't like the feel of an all polymer AR. They feel too light and too much like a "toy". That said, I wouldn't buy one even if it were aluminum simply because it is not a "real" AR and the parts interchangability is not there. While this rifle may be fun, I'd rather have a dedicated AR system that feels similar to the real deal.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Nice. Real classy:rolleyes: You know, disagreeing with your likes/dislikes is not a personal attack. :chillpill: Sometimes, you really need to grow up and act like the adult I know you are.

Being a former Vincennes University security person makes you knowledgeable on composites; I have a forty year career in metals and composites, I don't need you telling me my gun is junk? If one of your buddies did this post you would love the gun. You have the problem, not me. Give yourself a infraction. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Non metal guns don't seem to bother the polymer handgun owners.

You mean, polymer-framed handgun owners. If Glocks had polymer slides, I wouldn't own one; I prefer to have some metal containing the pressure, thank you. I saw a .22 AR have an out-of battery detonation that blew a quarter-sized hole in the side of the polymer upper; that was enough to turn me off.

All-polymer, limited parts compatibility with real ARs, proprietary magazine. Major downsides in my book (not just to the S&W, but to the Colt/Walther/Umarex gun as well), but YMMV.

You have the problem, not me.

Really? I believe you were the first one to take a personal jab. Nick was criticizing the product, not you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Being a former Vincennes University security person makes you knowledgeable on composites; I have a forty year career in metals and composites, I don't need you telling me my gun is junk? If one of your buddies did this post you would love the gun. You have the problem, not me. Give yourself a infraction. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I really don't think VUPDblue earned your above response.

It appears he was only commenting on the product, just like you were doing.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I didn't say anything about the quality of the polymers used. They may be space shuttle grade, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't like 'em. I don't know why you're hassling me about this. You posted about a gun and I responded that I don't care for polymer ARs, and I wasn't hostile or negative about it. Why you are taking this so personal is beyond me. You really need to either grow up, or calm down, I'm not sure wich.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Pasted from Tactical Gun Fan

Pasted from Tactical Gun Fan

Smith & Wesson 'Downsizes' With Its M&P 15-22 Written by James Tarr Thursday, 23 July 2009

sw_mp1522_1_370_jt.jpg

New from Smith & Wesson is the M&P 15-22 - a dedicated .22 LR AR that's perfect for plinking and training. (Photo: James Tarr)

It's not too often a manufacturer can announce a product that changes the playing field, but in this writer's opinion, that's just what Smith & Wesson did with its new M&P 15-22. Sure, .22 LR conversion kits for AR-15-type rifles, and .22 rifles that to one degree or another resemble AR-15s, are nothing new, but Smith and Wesson went two steps beyond with the M&P 15-22.

Looks, Feels Real
    Chambered in .22LR, this rifle from any angle looks exactly like a standard AR-15 in .223, with an A3-style flattop upper receiver, except for the size of its ejection port.
    It's a dedicated platform, designed solely around the .22LR. The M&P 15-22 sports a quad rail around its 16-inch barrel, which on our sample had a plain muzzle, but the Smith & Wesson reps stated the company would offer a bolt-on flash hider for a "pre-ban" look.
    It has a standard six-position collapsible stock. It also comes with clamp-on front and rear iron sights no different in appearance than that on any other AR-15. This is deliberate: The folks at Smith & Wesson wanted to make their product as close to the real thing as possible. That's why the charging handle works, the bolt locks back on an empty magazine, the safety functions the same as on any .223 AR, and the 25-round magazines fill the entire magazine well.

sw_mp1522_2_240_jt.jpg
    Smith & Wesson cut both cost and weight by using polymer upper/lower receivers and a polymer forend. (Photo: James Tarr)

Not only that, but standard AR buttstocks and grips will fit on the M&P 15-22, the quad rail accepts all 1913 Mil Std accessories, and because the pins are in the right place, drop-in match triggers designed for the real thing will also fit this rimfire brother.

Maybe you want to clamp on an Aimpoint and an LMT SOPMOD stock so it has the same look and feel as your .223? Go right ahead. For use as an identical training platform, either at an individual level or for police departments, this is significant.

That's all great, but what truly makes this rifle a game-changer is the price. In this writer's opinion, Smith & Wesson will nearly obliterate the .22 LR conversion-kit industry, as the MSRP on this rifle is a mere $499. Yep, under $500 retail.

How can Smith & Wesson offer a complete "AR" in any caliber for such a price? Both the upper and lower receivers are made of polymer, as is the quad rail and buffer tube. Not only is polymer cheaper to manufacture than metal, but it makes the entire rifle lighter.

sw_mp1522_3_300_jt.jpg

A straight blowback design, the M&P 15-22 feeds from 25-round detachable box magazines. (Photo: James Tarr)

TacticalGunFan didn't have a scale on hand when shooting several of the new Smith & Wesson .22s, but our guess is they scale at about 5 pounds.

Test Observations
    Over the course of an afternoon, we had the opportunity to put several cases of ammo through three different 15-22s using half a dozen proprietary magazines. Two of the rifles were factory stock with clamp-on iron sights, one wore aftermarket MagPul furniture and a Trijicon Reflex sight. One of the magazines was found to have nosediving issues, and was quickly set aside, but other than that, each gun ran trouble-free.

The magazines are easy to load and fill the entire magazine well, and one quick glance at either side will reveal how many rounds remain. The rifles were more than accurate to hit small-bore rifle targets out to 50 meters - at least when we were doing our jobs.

If you're concerned about the polymer receiver, don't be. The rifles were solid enough in our hands that at first we didn't realize the receivers weren't aluminum. Also, Glock doesn't seem to be handicapped by the use of plastic in its offerings.

M&P 15-22 Specification
    > Caliber: .22 long rifle
    > Safety: external thumb
    > Capacity: 25
    > Weight: 5 pounds
    > Barrel length: 16 inches
    > Twist: 1 in 15 inch
    > Total length: 31 inches (stock collapsed)
    > Stock: 6-position collapsible
    > Sights: Rear aperture, post front (A2 style, detachable)
    > MSRP: $499

buckfever34

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Jackson County, IN
    I really like the fact that it is made from lightweight polymer. This allows younger/more feeble/weaker shooters to handle the rifle much better. Sure, a polymer rail is beyond useless for mounting an optic; however, it would work just fine to place a VFG on this plinking/range toy.

The gun is what it is. Not for everyone, but great for some. There is a market there, and I'm glad that S&W tapped into it. Atleast it is made in America...

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    This looks to be a nice precise rifle although kinda pricey for a deuce-deuce. Already having ARs though I prefer to have a conversion for them. (not quite as accurate though) This would be a good starter though for when the boy gets old enough.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I'm not sure I "get" the sudden flood of market with .22lr clones of regular duty-caliber weapons. I can buy a S&W M&P 22lr for 500 bucks, or a really nice Spikes Tactical set up for about the same price. I'd rather have the Spikes set up and interchange my lego-like AR parts.

That being said, if my wife gave me one of these S&W 22LRs I would be pleased as punch and I look forward to what Sig's variant of their 22 shooter ends up being. I want to fondle one.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'm not sure I "get" the sudden flood of market with .22lr clones of regular duty-caliber weapons. I can buy a S&W M&P 22lr for 500 bucks, or a really nice Spikes Tactical set up for about the same price. I'd rather have the Spikes set up and interchange my lego-like AR parts.

That being said, if my wife gave me one of these S&W 22LRs I would be pleased as punch and I look forward to what Sig's variant of their 22 shooter ends up being. I want to fondle one.

Ammo prices. Have you bought .223 lately?

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    I'm buying one....

I'm not going after Taliban in Afghanistan, I'm going after cardboard and steel, maybe a few zombies.

As soon as I can get my hands on a threaded barrel one, it's mine!

Looks like a fun gun to shoot

Bob

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I saw one that Michiana has and think it looks pretty sweet. S&W is smart on the price point as well. It is low enough that I'd consider it for a high end plinker that would be cheap to shoot and still look nice on the range.

I'd love to know how they perform for those out there who have shot them...

:popcorn:

Top Bottom