• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    In a thick accent and a Wash. D.C. phone #, a caller offered me $9000 for anything but drugs, booze, etc. I had trouble deciphering the rationale as his accent was a bit rough. I asked him to mail it to me, but no chance of that as sometimes the check gets lost , stolen, or ends up at the wrong place. All he needed was my bank account # or 'Pastic card' and I would receive this grant. The only thing he was interrupting was my Craigs List search for a headless body pre rigor. I thought I would play along. I asked about his accent (Phillipino?), but he wouldn't tell me where he was from, other than D.C. I asked him why i should give a stranger my acct #'s. He replied, to receive the money, of course. I asked him for his credit card # and he refused, but transferred me to his supervisor, who, i believe transferred me back to the first guy. There were a couple f**k you's from him, but I didn't respond and he hung on. I asked him if anyone fell for this and he responded you guys (americans) are very smart.At this point I thought his accent reminded me of the hijackers in Capt Phillips, Somali. I told him he should find a better way to make a living. I offered to send him 10K if he gave me his acct #'s. He said he had all the money he needed. I said me too. I asked him why he was talking to me so long and he said if he didn't get off the phone soon his supervisor would get rid of him. Shortly thereafter, I was cut off, about 10 minutes in. I'm tempted to reverse the call to see if I get them. Or, is there a way to fake an incoming #? It was a 202 area code. The joys of being home during the day.....

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I got the same thing on my cell phone a couple of months ago. I just hung up on him, searched the number on Google and found it has been an ongoing scam for a little while now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In a thick accent and a Wash. D.C. phone #, a caller offered me $9000 for anything but drugs, booze, etc. I had trouble deciphering the rationale as his accent was a bit rough. I asked him to mail it to me, but no chance of that as sometimes the check gets lost , stolen, or ends up at the wrong place. All he needed was my bank account # or 'Pastic card' and I would receive this grant. The only thing he was interrupting was my Craigs List search for a headless body pre rigor. I thought I would play along. I asked about his accent (Phillipino?), but he wouldn't tell me where he was from, other than D.C. I asked him why i should give a stranger my acct #'s. He replied, to receive the money, of course. I asked him for his credit card # and he refused, but transferred me to his supervisor, who, i believe transferred me back to the first guy. There were a couple f**k you's from him, but I didn't respond and he hung on. I asked him if anyone fell for this and he responded you guys (americans) are very smart.At this point I thought his accent reminded me of the hijackers in Capt Phillips, Somali. I told him he should find a better way to make a living. I offered to send him 10K if he gave me his acct #'s. He said he had all the money he needed. I said me too. I asked him why he was talking to me so long and he said if he didn't get off the phone soon his supervisor would get rid of him. Shortly thereafter, I was cut off, about 10 minutes in. I'm tempted to reverse the call to see if I get them. Or, is there a way to fake an incoming #? It was a 202 area code. The joys of being home during the day.....

You wont get them. Its called Caller ID Spoofing. Their dialers can trick your phone into displaying whatever they want it to on caller ID. Our company is fighting that right now. Somebody is making robocalls and spoofing one of our phone numbers. Luckilly its not our main published number and we were able to mitigate it a bit. My boss spent the better part of two days talking with the phone company, as well as lots of irate people who had to be told what was really going on and it wasnt our company making these calls. (they [STRIKE]talked to[/STRIKE] screamed at us because they took CID at face value and called the number back)

Last edited:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I think I could charm the pants off even a scammer (preferably female)*. I gotta see that new Will Smith charmer scammer movie FOCUS.

* I try to anticipate all the comebacks b4 they comeback

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Actually, they ARE in Washington, D.C.

The President wants to raise taxes and this is the IRS instituting a tax on gullibility by the President's secret executive order.

Most people don't fall for the "Nigerian Prince" anymore, so they call about a government grant, The Publisher's Clearing House, a Power Ball prize, Irish Sweepstakes winnings, or a distant uncle who left you thousands of dollars and a Rolls Royce. Not surprisingly, it's working very well.

Add Purple if you think it needs it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My son once called me from Lafayette and MY home phone number was on the caller ID calling that same number. He had some kind of app he found for his cell phone and was trying it out. I knew he wasn't home and was trying to figure out when I was answering how my own number was showing as the caller. He had quite a chuckle over that one.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I got the same thing on my cell phone a couple of months ago. I just hung up on him, searched the number on Google and found it has been an ongoing scam for a little while now.
    Oh crap. Next you'll tell me that awesome '08 infiniti on craigslist I sent $2000 for isn't going to show up in my driveway.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I used to phreak a bit, had a number I could call through and tell the phone system what number to tell someone I was calling from. No big deal, just had to push a lot of buttons.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Another scam is "we've detected viruses on your computer and need to remote into the computer to fix them". And of course they are "from Microsoft". That's gotten a lot of people really infected, and gotten credit card info taken as well.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    It's fun if you can get them off subject and talk for awhile, I talked to a guy from South Carolina once for about 15 minutes about basketball and the weather before finally he remembered what he was supposed to be doing spouted off his phone number and said if you are interested in our windows call back, then hung up. Supervisor must have walked up on him talking sports.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Another scam is "we've detected viruses on your computer and need to remote into the computer to fix them". And of course they are "from Microsoft". That's gotten a lot of people really infected, and gotten credit card info taken as well.
    guy at my office got one of these... they new a ton of info on his computer before they even called him... when he said he needed to clear with the IT manager, they vamoosed

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    guy at my office got one of these... they new a ton of info on his computer before they even called him... when he said he needed to clear with the IT manager, they vamoosed

Probably not. Ive received those calls myself and had some fun with them. They spew off things that EVERYONE experiences. That your system sometimes has errors, is running slow, etc. If they are lucky they will tell you the correct operating system you are running. Its like those TV psychics... "I am sensing somebody who has recently lost a loved one in the room..." DUUHHH. Who HASNT?

If they already knew that info, they would have the access needed to lock down his system and install ransomware. No phone call needed. These guys call you, convince you that your pc has "phoned home" to them (microsoft) and they want to fix it for you. They direct you to an obscure website where you download their support tool. Once they have control they start messing with stuff and then tell you it will cost you X dollars to actually FIX the problem. (which doesnt exist, mind you)

I know of one guy who refused the fix, but it was too late. Since they were in they already had full control. The scammer on the other end laughed and cursed at him as he destroyed files on his system and thoroughly trashed it before the owner had the common sense to power down. But it was too late.

Lying sacks of sh...

Top Bottom