• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, I used to use the phone call app where it shows the caller ID as what you set it to be and not (your phone). We'd use it to call someones parents (younger friend) and say we were at so and so's house when we weren't due to how strict they were with having curfew and other rules away from home... I know that sounds terrible and all but it was pretty innocent, and we thought it was pretty cool, must have been about 5 years ago or so. It's been a possibility long before that too I am sure.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Years ago, long before the internet I use to get spam faxes in the middle of the night. The SOB would send me 20-30 pages of adds. All crap I wasn't interested in. I had a roll fax and it would sometimes run me out of paper then I would miss my customer orders.

I got pissed after a few weeks of that crap. I called and asked for there sales dept. I told them to stop sending me faxes. The said we have a company that handles there ads. They could not stop it. Ok I said. I waited a while and called back. I asked for their fax #. I wanted to place an order. They gave me the # (silly people).

I went in to work about 2am the morning. I took 6 piece of black paper and taped them together. I ran one end threw my roll fax machine. I caught the end of the sheet and taped it to the first sheet. so it ran in a loop. I watched it make 6 or seven loops and when I thought it was GTG I when home. when I came it and checked it the machine said it disconnected about 5:30 in the morning. The loop was still together though.

I got a call about 10 saying "hey your fax machine is messing up. We got about a million black pages." :-) I said awe.. oops. Ill look in to it. Yeah.. I went back in about midnight and I did it again!! They weren't happy with me and called me again. I said. Awe, I have a company that handles that. I couldn't do anything about it.

I waited a couple day's, then I ran it during the day!! That was the most awesome time!! I got a really nasty ph call saying WTF is going on!! This is the 3rd time you have done this to us!! What's going on. Then we had a heart to heart talk about spam faxes. and how annoying they are. They stopped coming after that. BTW, black pages are really had on a early thermal printer heads ;-) I guess I took out 2 print heads ;-)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Somebody rep 1911ly. I cant and he deserves it. I too have done that dirty deed.

Its amazing how suddenly they are no longer "beyond our control" once it happens to them.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Somebody rep 1911ly. I cant and he deserves it. I too have done that dirty deed.

Its amazing how suddenly they are no longer "beyond our control" once it happens to them.

LOL, It's probably one of the meanest tings I ever did to a company. But felt really good !!!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Years ago, long before the internet I use to get spam faxes in the middle of the night. The SOB would send me 20-30 pages of adds. All crap I wasn't interested in. I had a roll fax and it would sometimes run me out of paper then I would miss my customer orders.

I got pissed after a few weeks of that crap. I called and asked for there sales dept. I told them to stop sending me faxes. The said we have a company that handles there ads. They could not stop it. Ok I said. I waited a while and called back. I asked for their fax #. I wanted to place an order. They gave me the # (silly people).

I went in to work about 2am the morning. I took 6 piece of black paper and taped them together. I ran one end threw my roll fax machine. I caught the end of the sheet and taped it to the first sheet. so it ran in a loop. I watched it make 6 or seven loops and when I thought it was GTG I when home. when I came it and checked it the machine said it disconnected about 5:30 in the morning. The loop was still together though.

I got a call about 10 saying "hey your fax machine is messing up. We got about a million black pages." :-) I said awe.. oops. Ill look in to it. Yeah.. I went back in about midnight and I did it again!! They weren't happy with me and called me again. I said. Awe, I have a company that handles that. I couldn't do anything about it.

I waited a couple day's, then I ran it during the day!! That was the most awesome time!! I got a really nasty ph call saying WTF is going on!! This is the 3rd time you have done this to us!! What's going on. Then we had a heart to heart talk about spam faxes. and how annoying they are. They stopped coming after that. BTW, black pages are really had on a early thermal printer heads ;-) I guess I took out 2 print heads ;-)

The Mobius FAX. It's an old trick, used to waste someone's paper. Grats on figuring it out for yourself.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

Awsome. The black fax is a great way to send a message. But you taught me something, I only thought it would run them out of ink. This is even better......(If a civil call or 2 doesn't fix it first)

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I got a call from DC on Monday. I didn't answer it, and they left no message. I'm assuming it was the same group because I've heard that same story a couple times now.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Another scam is "we've detected viruses on your computer and need to remote into the computer to fix them". And of course they are "from Microsoft". That's gotten a lot of people really infected, and gotten credit card info taken as well.

Just got one last night! I said 'Listen up, Basideb. When you can speak English you SOB, call me back. In the meantime, FO!' Click

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got a call from DC on Monday. I didn't answer it, and they left no message. I'm assuming it was the same group because I've heard that same story a couple times now.

Ooooh! That might have been the IRS wanting to auto-deposit the $40,000 in excess taxes you've paid over the last 12 years!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Please, inform me what "basideb" means and the proper way to pronounce it. I want it in my quiver for the next time the Microsoft Tech Update Support Squad calls.

UNISEF used to run commercials begging for cash to feed little Basideb in Bangladesh, or wherever. The name always stuck in my head for some reason.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

I would, for both of us, but I'm also not allowed!

I got him with all I could give! That was definitely rep worthy!

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    To all who have gotten the calls regarding the "$9000 grant".
    Are you Anthem/WellPoint members?

I, the OP, have been hacked thru Anthem. I found out that my daughter, in Oregon got the same call 4 minutes after I did. My wife the got it 40 minutes later. She wondered if they could hack my phone for #'s...? I did stay on awhile. Waiting to see if my tax refund comes.....

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I got that same call on my work cell the other day. It was a woman. First thing she said was don't hang up, I am affiliated with the government and I want to give you a grant for $9000. I said, I hate the government and you stole that money and hung up.

no on the anthem

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I know of one guy who refused the fix, but it was too late. Since they were in they already had full control. The scammer on the other end laughed and cursed at him as he destroyed files on his system and thoroughly trashed it before the owner had the common sense to power down. But it was too late.

Lying sacks of sh...

I do tech support as part of my job and I got a call from an older woman that was explaining to me about a call that she got about her computer being infected and that she had let them in. She had already given them her credit card number the day before and had left them remoted in while she went into town. She then called them back the next day and let them remote in again! I told her to cancel her credit cards and to turn her computer off and bring it into the shop. She said she was afraid to shut it off while they were in, so I asked her what was on the screen right now. She said they were uninstalling her antivirus. I told her to hold down the power button until the screen went off. She was scared to but it was the only way I could get her to do anything. The worst part is she never brought the computer in for the virus removal. :(

That's brilliant and great.

Just got one last night! I said 'Listen up, Basideb. When you can speak English you SOB, call me back. In the meantime, FO!' Click

Whenever I see the "you're infected, call this number" ads I write the numbers down. I called one of them tonight using Google Hangouts so it shows up as "unavailable". A guy named "Kevin" (yeah right) with a ridiculous accent answered. I said "why are you scamming people". He asked "what?" so I repeated it. He said "I'll call you back and tell you" then hung up. I laughed for a while.

I said, I hate the government and you stole that money and hung up.

Haha nice.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I also received one of those calls that appeared to be from DC, I didn't answer it because I knew it would probably be a scam. So I checked it out, and here is what I found out about the original call. Seems that there have been thousands of calls coming into this country from the same call center, of course, it's a scam.

OK, one more time. As many others have posted, you can report these calls to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and/or the Federal Communication Commission (FCC).
    Here are the sites:
    How to File a Complaint | Consumer Information
    https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

The problem is that these "people" are in India and Pakistan and Nigeria and...... In other words, they are in foreign countries where our government has no jurisdiction. On occasion, the governments of these countries will investigate and arrest these people but they really have no incentive to do so. It is true that the FCT cracked down on the "tech support" scams but they were run out of the US and using Indian call centers.

Your best protection is common sense. Don't answer numbers you don't recognize or don't identify themselves. If they call and never leave a message, it's likely a scam. GET A CALL BLOCKER. There are many on the market. They're cheap and they are fantastic. If you're using cellular, check with your provider as many have blocking service or download any of the apps for call blocking. Many are free. Don't expect the government to do it all for you. Help yourself. Be smart. Don't give these guys a chance to upset you.

Top Bottom