• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I got a Beretta Nano two weeks ago and it has made it through my 500 rd. test without fail...so it is now my EDC piece. Prior to that I had a Kel-Tec P11 and didn't have any problems with that. But I really like the Nano.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    I just picked up the gen 4 Glock 27 .40 cal,and its very small,yet powerful
    Accuracy is incredible....I was hitting a 12" steel plate at 50 yrds
    The gun is completely stock too.

It comes with 3 magazines,and 2 extra backstraps....local Plainfield gun store has them for $529

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So as y'all can tell my PF9 has failed me miserably also. Got a new extractor from keltec and put it in with some lock-tite on it's screw. Let it all set for about a month while I carried it. Went to shoot it yesterday shot 100 rounds and 25 of those had a FTE! The last mag EVERY round was a FTE. Plan on sending it to keltec ASAP this time around, cause I can't trust this piece of junk.

So here's my question,

what's a gun close to it's size that y'all carry all the time and doesn't fail you:draw:?

Doing my own shopping around now, but thought I'd get the professionals opinions :ingo:

How many rounds had you put through you PF9 before you started to have problems?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Not a PF9 but a KT P3AT. It functioned fabulously when clean but when I got the slightest amount of sand in my pocket, the whole trigger assembly went to crap. Losing all confidence, I began searching for a replacement in that concealable, pocket holster role.

Considerations included: Kahr CM9, Ruger LC9, Sig P238, Beretta Nano, Sig P290 and a few oddballs. (Smith 3913 and/or CS9 like my larger CS45.) If the Sig 938 had already been released, it would have been a strong contender.

The CM9 - felt good and could get one for $400 OTD at the 1500. I didn't like the semi-exposed magazine with, what felt like, a fragile magazine floor plate.

The LC9. Felt bigger than I liked and if the internals are much like the P3AT (why not? the design of the LCP was a direct ripoff from KelTec,) then I wanted something more robust based on the P3AT sand-sensitivity.

Beretta Nano. Might have been a wash with the Sig 290 if folks hadn't been spending the limited-quantity, gotta-have-it-now prices at the 1500. Gander Mtn has had a couple of Nano sales for $379. The prices at the 1500 were more like $475.

Sig P238. Pricey but nice. I wanted out of the .380 ammo buying necessity though. With the 938 coming out, expect the prices of used 238s to plummet, IMHO.

Sig p290. I got a new one with 2-mags, night sights and laser for $475.

Reliability? Time will tell.

Let us know what you decide.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    3rd gen glock 26...

Man, if they were only a thinner, single stack, I would be in. A Glock 36 is my typical IWB, summer carry.

IMG_9510.jpg

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    I had problems right off the bat and through all 400 rounds to date. 3 different ammo companies too.

I would agree about the width of the glocks, great reliable guns though. I love'm, but just want something thinner for 24/7 conceal carry. I have a Gen 4 G23 and I love it. Just a tad too thick, so it's in an OTB blackhawk for now.

Just got a message back from keltec and it looks like there's going to be 4-6 week turn around period for it! Oh well got to be done anyway.

side note 1nthechmber
    I did get ur PM, but my count isn't high enough to pm back, just letting you know bro.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    what's a gun close to it's size that y'all carry all the time and doesn't fail you?

The PF-9 is 5.85" long, 4.3" tall, and .88" thick. Which size are you more concerned about? I would say to forgo the cheap Keltec pistol and get either a Glock 26 or HK P2000SK. The G26 is 6.54" long, 4.17" tall, and 1.18" thick. The HK sub-compact is 6.41" long, 4.55" tall, and 1.34" thick. However, both manufactures have a quality reputation. They are a little larger, but you also get a few more rounds to load as well.

I had a G27 for many, many years. It mostly stayed in the safe. When I went to qualify with it, I had a few jams. Others shot 50 rounds with no problem. I usually have no problems shooting Glocks in .40S&W, but obviously I was not shooting this sub-compact correctly. I sold that gun and purchased the Ruger LCR .357 snub nose. I now have a nice pistol I can carry in my pocket if need be. Not as slim as a PF-9 or LCP, but it works, and I know I can shoot it and not worry about it jamming. I would have considered the HK sub-compact, but money wise the LCR made more sense.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Kinda like a 290. Which is my new pocket carry.
    I meant a single stack G26 would be more comparable to a Nano. Although the barrel length on the G26 is a bit longer.

But in my opinion when it comes to concealability the barrel length is'nt as important as grip size. Either way I think we both have a fine weapon that should serve us well for their intended purpose. :yesway:

jimes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    West Lafayette
    Since spring is finally here I switched from my G27 to a Kahr CW9 and love it. Looking forward to trying the new XD(s) from Springfield. They look sick and you get the 45 in a very compact package.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I meant a single stack G26 would be more comparable to a Nano. Although the barrel length on the G26 is a bit longer.

You know, in retrospect I can see what you mean on a couple of levels - attempting to compare specific features of the Glock holding more similar to the Nano than the CM9 or 290. Feature by feature (trigger lock type, striker fired) I would totally agree. I suppose I was just coming at it from a different direction; the Glock being a whole and not just a sum of its parts.

my wanting a glock single stack 9, I am thinking more about their build quality, simplicity and likelihood of reliability out-of-box. Honestly, from initial reports, the Nano, 290 nor CM9 really fulfill the Glock legend (and my personal experience) of reliability.

The nano has had a number of issues with early adopters, the 290 is on its second trigger group with a third (including 2nd strike capability) to be added into production and the whole Kahr line has an entire cadre of detractors from the arrogance of the manufacturer claims that the firearm isn't expected to be reliable until 500 rounds are through it.

Me? Still wishing for a single stack, tiny 9 Glock.

What we each selected as an alternative? We pays our money and we takes our chances. It was danged near a wash for me in terms of the Nano or 290. To be honest, on the SigForum, the Nano is the darling right now.

:yesway:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You know, in retrospect I can see what you mean on a couple of levels - attempting to compare specific features of the Glock holding more similar to the Nano than the CM9 or 290. Feature by feature (trigger lock type, striker fired) I would totally agree. I suppose I was just coming at it from a different direction; the Glock being a whole and not just a sum of its parts.

my wanting a glock single stack 9, I am thinking more about their build quality, simplicity and likelihood of reliability out-of-box. Honestly, from initial reports, the Nano, 290 nor CM9 really fulfill the Glock legend (and my personal experience) of reliability.

The nano has had a number of issues with early adopters, the 290 is on its second trigger group with a third (including 2nd strike capability) to be added into production and the whole Kahr line has an entire cadre of detractors from the arrogance of the manufacturer claims that the firearm isn't expected to be reliable until 500 rounds are through it.

Me? Still wishing for a single stack, tiny 9 Glock.

What we each selected as an alternative? We pays our money and we takes our chances. It was danged near a wash for me in terms of the Nano or 290. To be honest, on the SigForum, the Nano is the darling right now.

:yesway:
    I could'nt agree more. There is no denying that the Glock has a proven track record and if they had a single stack version it would be worthy of serious consideration.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I've carried a PF-9 for about a year now, put a few hundred rounds through it. There's been 3 FTE's, all when someone else was shooting it. A good friend has had one for over a year, no problems.

Still a fine carry piece, IMO.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    had a ruger lc9 and it had a couple fte out of the first 100 rds. I really liked the size just not the trigger. back to the trusty kahr. If you want something small and reliable get a kahr

Top Bottom