• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    So after living out of a tent for the summer and finally starting to rent a house I found out today that the landlord is going to have to sell the house due to the economy and that I have at a minimum one month to get out maybe longer. Well instead of renting again I have three options to have my own place but all three are a bit on the less then optimal side. I am getting a small parcel of land given to me by some family members. On the land is an old house that is literally falling apart and while I have done renovations in the past I have never did anything to this scale and probably wouldn’t know where to start so not likely to have it livable in a month or so.

My second option is I very nice shed that is about 12 by 15 feet. Small but I’ve lived in a lot worse. I also have access to a wood stove and stainless double wall insulated stove pipe to install in any of the options.

My third option is an old horse barn. It’s about 17’6” by 26”5’. If I go with barn I’m probably going to tear it down and build myself a timber rim foundation on pillars and use the salvaged metal to build a new structure. I’m just tossing this out there for ideas and suggestions. When I actually decide on what I’m doing and start moving forward with it I’ll keep you all posted. Here are some photos of the options.

photo1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Tear down the house and salvage what you can. Then use the barn, the house, and shed to build on the foundation of the old house. As for being able to live in it in the next month, pick the structure with the least amount of material, and work needed to be liveable. While living in one, work on the House. It will end up being a better structure in the long run. Best of luck with this adventure.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If it were me, I think I'd try to salvage what I could of the three buildings and try building a mini house. Maybe there's some old stuff in the house you could sell and buy a camper/trailer to park next to it? Is it just you or is there a wife and kids to consider here?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    It's too late in the year for you to start a major home construction project and hope to be ready for winter. The shed or the barn is the easiest structure to heat. Priority one is to get one ready for winter and live in the shed or the barn while remodeling the house, assuming the foundation and main structural beams are good.

Curious though. If you don't have enough to rent a house - how are you going to have money to renovate one? I like the ideas of stripping the structures to make a new structure ground up but that's a spring project that you can get started this winter but there's inevitably always some delay or something that takes longer than expected with construction so it's not something to cannibalize the structure that's going to get you surviving the winter for.

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Well I'm getting married October 10th. So it will be a wife and myself. Already discussed the situation with her and she is all for it. The old house is actually the house she was born in and spent the first ten years of her life in. If it wasn't for the roof having already caved in on it in places I wouldn't be aprehensive about fixing it up but I don't really have experience with anything like it.

Also its not that I don't have money to rent a house I just have had bad experiences with the last few and I'm ready to get away from renting.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I would say insulate the shed While you gut and rebuild on the old house foundation. the house picture appears to be a block basement. That would make and excellent start point. Just my :twocents:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you could make that roof suitable for winter, I'd go for the house.

I don't doubt that there's a ton more to do to it - just have to manage one bite at a time.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I'm rehabbing a poured cement barn right now. The roof started as a "strip the tin and sheeting" sheet and shingle. That was two months ago. Turned out 2/3 of the roof was rotted, and the trusses were rotted in about 3 feet from the end.

Since you're up against a timetable of weather and getting married, I'd opt for a camper. Pull it in under the guise of a place to light while you work on the buildings. Then start assessing what needs to be done on the house to make it sound. Generally, ideas and plans change after time spent looking, working, thinking, evaluating. If you have a place to live and rest, you can rebuild the house at a more relaxed pace thinking it through. Plus, over time you'll find bargains in materials. You might want those barns for something else, don't tear them down if they're salvagable (hindsight speaking here!)

Kudos for taking on a project to improve your lot in life!

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the camper idea while rebuilding the house. From the looks of the roof, it will take a while. That being said, I wouldn't want to live in a camper, shed or barn from December through February.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The house looks like it would be awesome if it could be repaired. i have a weakness for old farmhouses. :) We lived in a tent for a month years ago, while waiting on a house closing. will you have running water and electricity? my hubby and i have lived in this house 25 yrs now, and have done lots of remodeling- we didn't know much at all when we started out. Internet and library are great resources! At times, we've paid more experienced people cash to help us out or show us what to do.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Got to agree with the CindyE, the house would be worth saving. From the pics, the corners are straight and the roofline is level, which shows no major problems. Maybe you could think about re-decking and new shingles, put your wood stove in the basement, and live in there for the winter. You would be dry and have access to electricity, but I don't know how the plumbing is set up. That is going to be number one to for the new wife.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Tear down the house and salvage what you can. Then use the barn, the house, and shed to build on the foundation of the old house. As for being able to live in it in the next month, pick the structure with the least amount of material, and work needed to be liveable. While living in one, work on the House. It will end up being a better structure in the long run. Best of luck with this adventure.
    Second that

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like he's actually decided to sell a different property because he feels bad about cutting my lease short since I had it rented till next August. So it looks like I'll have a roof over my head for awhile longer yet. However, I think I'm going to go ahead with remodeling the house since the offer still stands for it to be mine but take my time and not rush it.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Consolidate.

Don't tear down anything yet, not until you can live as man&wife in the camper. Park the Camper inside the barn; insulate the barn, and run a chimney. I have some 2x6x10-ft T&G pine to donate. Not a whole lot, but I'll provide 5-gallons of home-made AUTHENTIC BAVARIAN potato-salad, plus 3-cases of Bud. Somebody bring ice. Let's make this a "group-buy", but rather call it a pitch-in, "group-help" some week-end.

I like the camper idea while rebuilding the house. From the looks of the roof, it will take a while. That being said, I wouldn't want to live in a camper, shed or barn from December through February.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Regardless, I would tarp the roof up now, and lay down some mouse/rat traps or poison and start sealing up the exterior for winter.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    Don't tear down anything yet, not until you can live as man&wife in the camper. Park the Camper inside the barn; insulate the barn, and run a chimney. I have some 2x6x10-ft T&G pine to donate. Not a whole lot, but I'll provide 5-gallons of home-made AUTHENTIC BAVARIAN potato-salad, plus 3-cases of Bud. Somebody bring ice. Let's make this a "group-buy", but rather call it a pitch-in, "group-help" some week-end.

Sounds like a plan to me, let me know when.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

I don't have much in the way of materials, but I got tools and experience. I used to frame houses down in FL. I would be down with helping out a fellow Hoosier.

I am in the Bloomington area, so not too far away.

Top Bottom