• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    My wife, as long as things go according to plan, and as soon as she finishes school will be departing for USMC basic in a few weeks. My question is directed to those of you who have recently discharged or are still on active duty. Others who know may chime in, that will be fine.

What I would like to know is what are the regulations for privately owned firearms on/in base housing. It has been almost 13 years since I was discharged and I do not remember the Policy about firearms on a military installation. I'm sure each one will be different, but they should all have some of the same basic rules.

Thanks,

Doug

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Gates is in the process of revising all the rules concerning military personnel and the possession of firearms due to the Ft. Hood shooting. Different bases had different rules, but after this new path, all military installations will have the same set of rules. A good while back [I believe it was Ft. Carson] even if you lived off base you had firearms in your apartment or house, you had to fill out a form with the make, model, and serial number on file. Remember the "Google Is Your Friend" in that every military base in this country has a website with all kinds of info on it with phone numbers as POC for extra questions.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Every post was different before the idiot from FT. Hood. Now most of the ones i've been at recently you weren't allowed to bring one on post. I would just contact the base Provost Marshall's office and inquire.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Back in the early 80's, we had to keep our personnal firearms in the armory when not in use. We were allowed to transport to and from, or across base as we needed to.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I do not exactly remember, but I think while I was in Mississippi, you could own a firearm, be it long gun or hand gun, and it had to be registered with the base security. If you ever wanted to take it, either type gun, out you had to call and explain to them what your intended route off base was, the time expected to depart and return and the fire arm had to be separated from the ammo. I asked a friend of mine about it today on the phone and we came to the same conclusion as to what I'm posting here.

As far as the Ft. Hood shooting, I would have been willing to make a wager that the rules, US Military Installation wide, would be changed. It just goes to show you, it Only Takes One Dumb A*s to mess it up for the rest.

Thanks for to reply posts, I appreciate it.

Doug

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I was in from 85-94 during that period the posts I was on mirrored state laws concerning handguns.
    Long arms rules varied for housing, but "don't ask, don't tell." No firearms were allowed in the barracks.

Top Bottom