• ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Besides all of the joking...

I think the legal basis for the award was that the university per se allowed free speech demonstrations, then renegged on the allowance for these students. Then the chancellor personally gave the order for the police to disperse the students, even though they were not detaining anyone or blocking the ability of anyone to travel (by sitting on a random sidewalk).

The police said they sprayed these students because they had supposedly "pinned them in," but somehow I don't see spraying only the sitting students really had anything to do with that, and apparently the legal system felt the same way.

$1,000,000 dumb move, and of course the cops don't care because the taxpayers always pick up the tab.

Good times.

"..the right of the people peaceably to assemble"

Blocking access to travel, ie roads and sidewalks, and verbally telling the Police you are blocking that access for them, then surrounding them, is not "peaceful assembly"..

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Besides all of the joking...

I think the legal basis for the award was that the university per se allowed free speech demonstrations, then renegged on the allowance for these students. Then the chancellor personally gave the order for the police to disperse the students, even though they were not detaining anyone or blocking the ability of anyone to travel (by sitting on a random sidewalk).

The police said they sprayed these students because they had supposedly "pinned them in," but somehow I don't see spraying only the sitting students really had anything to do with that, and apparently the legal system felt the same way.

$1,000,000 dumb move, and of course the cops don't care because the taxpayers always pick up the tab.

Good times.

I'm clear that you aren't that well versed in this instance. There was no award given to the students nor any legal basis cited. You're post indicates that the you believe that the UC Davis was ordered to make this payout to the students. That is incorrect. A settlement was reached; meaning that the UC Davis chose to throw money at the problem, rather than see it though the completion of litigation. There's a BIG difference in a settlement and court ordered compensation, in that the latter a court has determined guilt, and the former guilt is not established.

Further, there were a number of students "sitting," enough to surround a fairly sizable group of police pfficers. Not all of the students sitting were sprayed. The students that were sprayed, were those on the sidewalk blocking the egress of the officers. The other students, sitting on the grass, at the sides were not sprayed.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm clear that you aren't that well versed in this instance. There was no award given to the students nor any legal basis cited. You're post indicates that the you believe that the UC Davis was ordered to make this payout to the students. That is incorrect. A settlement was reached; meaning that the UC Davis chose to throw money at the problem, rather than see it though the completion of litigation. There's a BIG difference in a settlement and court ordered compensation, in that the latter a court has determined guilt, and the former guilt is not established.

Further, there were a number of students "sitting," enough to surround a fairly sizable group of police pfficers. Not all of the students sitting were sprayed. The students that were sprayed, were those on the sidewalk blocking the egress of the officers. The other students, sitting on the grass, at the sides were not sprayed.

You would be correct sir, it was a sizable payout to make the problem just go away instead of fighting it. Probably cheaper in the long run too.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You would be correct sir, it was a sizable payout to make the problem just go away instead of fighting it. Probably cheaper in the long run too.

It's one of those things that drive individual officers crazy. Knowing that you had done nothing wrong, and yet your city (or in this case university) settles to end the bad press or to save money from not having to drag out an expensive litigation.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Somebody shouts something in a crowd, and it opens the doors for everyone to be attacked by police. Sounds legit.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    It's one of those things that drive individual officers crazy. Knowing that you had done nothing wrong, and yet your city (or in this case university) settles to end the bad press or to save money from not having to drag out an expensive litigation.

Well, they both did something wrong...

The police showed up in riot gear to purposely disband a legal gathering. Just because the police were following orders, does not make their intentions just. They put themselves in that position, and then, when they were "trapped" by a wall of sitting hippies that they could have stepped over - decided that OC spray would help disband the gathering. Their actions did not lead to the intended response, and they failed as peace officers - creating a worse situation for the university. The protest they were sent to disband was thrust into the media spotlight because of how they reacted, and the chancellor's order backfired horribly - to the point that they are now handing out 30k per person as damage control.

Ofcourse, just because the police were out of line, does not mean using a hippie wall to block them in is called for. This could be debated, but it would go in circles anyway, and I am pretty sure we already did this when it happened, so...

UC Davis meme, anyone? har har...

PeppersprayKBCat.jpg

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    It's amazing how so many gun owners don't trust the government but fall all over themselves to lick the boots of authority figures like cops. Keep telling yourselves that those dumb students were somehow a threat to the officers involved. :rolleyes:

The cop should have used more hickory shampoo on them "kids."

Aren't you actually a cop? And you, who is presumably trained in the use of batons, advocate striking nonviolent protesters in the skull with a hardwood baton? I hope I never have the gall to upset you by exercising my rights because I will end up breathing through a tube (at best) while you enjoy your paid vacation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, they both did something wrong...

The police showed up in riot gear to purposely disband a legal gathering. Just because the police were following orders, does not make their intentions just. They put themselves in that position, and then, when they were "trapped" by a wall of sitting hippies that they could have stepped over - decided that OC spray would help disband the gathering. Their actions did not lead to the intended response, and they failed as peace officers - creating a worse situation for the university. The protest they were sent to disband was thrust into the media spotlight because of how they reacted, and the chancellor's order backfired horribly - to the point that they are now handing out 30k per person as damage control.

Of course, just because the police were out of line, does not mean using a hippie wall to block them in is called for. This could be debated, but it would go in circles anyway, and I am pretty sure we already did this when it happened, so...

This is a fair argument, and if the students had of sued based on police attempting to violate their free speech when they were dispersing their assembly, I could see their point. However, after the police realized that they had bitten off more than they could chew, attempted to leave, and were being prevented from doing so, then students had overstepped their bounds.
    Even though the officers could have "stepped over" the sitting students, that still does not absolve them of placing a barrier and preventing the officer's free movement.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The protesters attempted to detain and hold the officers in exchange for the officers letting the protesters who had been arrested go. It's crystal clear on the full video. Guy with the bullhorn even goes so far as to say, "If you let them go, we will let you leave". "If you let them go, we will let you leave" is then chanted by the group that has encircled the cops.

Stupid should hurt.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The protesters attempted to detain and hold the officers in exchange for the officers letting the protesters who had been arrested go. It's crystal clear on the full video. Guy with the bullhorn even goes so far as to say, "If you let them go, we will let you leave". "If you let them go, we will let you leave" is then chanted by the group that has encircled the cops.

Stupid should hurt.
    If that individual did something that was illegal or threatening, then HE should be the one that police approach. You can't just start attacking the nearest bystanders you see because someone in the crowd scared you. It doesn't work that way for ordinary people, and it shouldn't work that way for enforcers.

The cop really seems like he fears for his life, huh?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If that individual did something that was illegal or threatening, then HE should be the one that police approach. You can't just start attacking the nearest bystanders you see because someone in the crowd scared you. It doesn't work that way for ordinary people, and it shouldn't work that way for enforcers.

The cop really seems like he fears for his life, huh?

You need to look at the full video or maybe read what I wrote again. Your comment about "that individual" isn't relevant. It was a large number of protesters that attempted to detain the cops and essentially make a dumb attempt at holding them hostage in exchange for the release of protesters already under arrest.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I will not attempt to make the argument that the students were wise to gather around the officers, because I think that was stupid. I do, however, believe that anyone who looks at this incident and sees no fault in the way university administration and enforcement handled it is likely viewing the situation through a partisan lense.

Students gathering in a public space, at a public university, at which they attend - are not breaking the rules - and should not be disbanded.

Stupid should hurt - which is why the chancellor immediately apologized, and is lucky to have retained her position.

The university, which writes the check - should hurt - because they employed both the chancellor and the law enforcement officers. Employing a chancellor that makes a poor choice at critical moments leads to negative consequences.

They are not just paying for the pepper spray - they are paying to deflect media attention from an incident that they handled foolishly.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Students gathering in a public space, at a public university, at which they attend - are not breaking the rules - and should not be disbanded.

They are not just paying for the pepper spray - they are paying to deflect media attention from an incident that they handled foolishly.

On these points, I agree with you.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    mmmmm...tasty re-hash of a previous gigantic thread. :popcorn:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have already been pepper sprayed, I want my 30K too. Sorry, everytime i see those pictures, I have to laugh at the idiots getting sprayed. Someone that I went to school with said that when they were going to do something to get sprayed, that he would wear his gas mask to the protest. Hmmmm, makes you think that MAYBE sometimes the hickory is the better way. Granted, nothing is fool proof and perfect. Just have to laugh how in the states, no one cares when the police show up in riot gear and they continue whatever they are doing. I have seen riots disperse in foreign countries as soon as the police with riot gear show up, cause they know that only bad things will happen,and that they arent going to get paid crap.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have seen riots disperse in foreign countries as soon as the police with riot gear show up, cause they know that only bad things will happen,and that they arent going to get paid crap.
    Free people shouldn't have to run when the government shows up.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Free people shouldn't have to run when the government shows up.

I was pointing out the difference between our police and other nations. We are the only one that seems to be stuck that police brutality so much.

As for running when the government shows up, if they are doing something wrong, they should be punished, not paid 30K. A MOB holding the government officials hostage should learn that stupid hurts.

Top Bottom