• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    At about 4:30 am this morning, a neighbor and someone I don't know are right outside of my door yelling and arguing. It turned physical relatively quick and they hit my door a couple times, but I don't think it was on purpose. At the time I couldn't tell if they were trying to break in or what so I called 911 and had my firearm close by in case they broke down the door. As soon as the cops showed up they scrambled back into the apartment next to mine. They knocked on their door and no one answered, so the police left without incident. It was a little scary but I'm glad I was ready just in case they didn't arrive in time. What would you have done in that situation? I'm pretty sure I did the right thing.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    May have been good to let LE know what apt they were in just in case it was to happen again but worse outcome. If you didn't of course:twocents:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Vice Pres. Biden advises to shoot your shotgun through the door. I might hesitate before I followed that.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    At about 4:30 am this morning, a neighbor and someone I don't know are right outside of my door yelling and arguing. It turned physical relatively quick and they hit my door a couple times, but I don't think it was on purpose. At the time I couldn't tell if they were trying to break in or what so I called 911 and had my firearm close by in case they broke down the door. As soon as the cops showed up they scrambled back into the apartment next to mine. They knocked on their door and no one answered, so the police left without incident. It was a little scary but I'm glad I was ready just in case they didn't arrive in time. What would you have done in that situation? I'm pretty sure I did the right thing.
    I would have done nothing deferent. I would have not got involved unless it had entered throw my door.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You did the right thing in my opinion. If they were already fighting and tempers flaring so they probably wouldn't have been open to constructive criticism. I would have a talk with them and let them know that you don't appreciate being woke up to fights at 4:30 am. I would also let them know that when they hit your door that you were prepared to go into defense mode had the door been knocked open. If you get blow back from them then file a complaint with the Apt Mgr.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Agreed. You did the right thing. Avoiding confrontation but being fully prepared to protect yourself was the absolute right choice.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    You did the right thing in my opinion. If they were already fighting and tempers flaring so they probably wouldn't have been open to constructive criticism. I would have a talk with them and let them know that you don't appreciate being woke up to fights at 4:30 am. I would also let them know that when they hit your door that you were prepared to go into defense mode had the door been knocked open. If you get blow back from them then file a complaint with the Apt Mgr.

This is the first time that I complained to the manager. They are very noisy neighbors to begin with, but I like to mind my own business so I haven't complained until today. I don't really want to confront the neighbor about it, as I have suspicions that they are doing criminal activities in their apartment and wouldn't want that kind of attention.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I would have a talk with them and let them know that you don't appreciate being woke up to fights at 4:30 am. I would also let them know that when they hit your door that you were prepared to go into defense mode had the door been knocked open. If you get blow back from them then file a complaint with the Apt Mgr.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why? What would one hope to accomplish with this other than drawing attention to oneself ???? Bad advice !!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This is the first time that I complained to the manager. They are very noisy neighbors to begin with, but I like to mind my own business so I haven't complained until today. I don't really want to confront the neighbor about it, as I have suspicions that they are doing criminal activities in their apartment and wouldn't want that kind of attention.

What leads you to believe that they are doing criminal activites? I had a situation (not sayin its the same as your) in our subdivision where the house diagonally across the road with suspected by several neighbors of dealing drugs. Cars would come and go after just a five minute stop at the house. Friday was the big day for an increase in traffic. I to stayed out of their business until a van pulled into the driveway and two guys got out. One guy pulled out a gun from his rear 6:00 position and attempted to kick in the front door. My kids were in the driveway playing basketball and would have been in the line of fire had a gunfight taken place. I shouted to my kids to get into the house. The two guys heard me as well and fled.

Now they crossed the line and put my family in harms way. I called LEO and told them what happened. I also told them that they must know what what going on at the house and they agreed that they knew and was watching the house. Within a month the guy and girl were both arrested and gone from the neighborhood.
    +1 for the Drug Task Force. :rockwoot:

Ruger0890

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    St Joe County
    Have had the same issue in my complex a few times, for the most part its usually peaceful but when an incident similar to yours does occur I react the same way, avoid confrontation unless it comes through my door way :draw:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why? What would one hope to accomplish with this other than drawing attention to oneself ???? Bad advice !!

I do not intentionally draw attention to my self, but I will not back down either when it comes to my family.
    Now knowing the rest of the story about the constant rowdiness and criminal activity I wouldn't have went to talk to them because they have no respect for people and it would be a waste of time.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    What leads you to believe that they are doing criminal activites? I had a situation (not sayin its the same as your) in our subdivision where the house diagonally across the road with suspected by several neighbors of dealing drugs. Cars would come and go after just a five minute stop at the house. Friday was the big day for an increase in traffic. I to stayed out of their business until a van pulled into the driveway and two guys got out. One guy pulled out a gun from his rear 6:00 position and attempted to kick in the front door. My kids were in the driveway playing basketball and would have been in the line of fire had a gunfight taken place. I shouted to my kids to get into the house. The two guys heard me as well and fled.

Now they crossed the line and put my family in harms way. I called LEO and told them what happened. I also told them that they must know what what going on at the house and they agreed that they knew and was watching the house. Within a month the guy and girl were both arrested and gone from the neighborhood.
    +1 for the Drug Task Force. :rockwoot:

I suspect something because I see strange people meeting with the neighbor at least a few times a week. Usually I don't ever see these people again. Sometimes I'll see a couple of thuggish looking men in their 20s (both white and black) just sit in their car outside of the apartment for almost hours at a time. The neighbor is always walking around the complex at night, repeatedly entering and leaving their apartment. I see one of them walk around with a flashlight at night shining it at the ground like they dropped something. I have no evidence of any real wrong doing, but this behavior is by far not normal.

edit: also I'll get the occasional person that pulls in, gets out and sees me sitting on my porch, gets back in their car and leave.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I suspect something because I see strange people meeting with the neighbor at least a few times a week. Usually I don't ever see these people again. Sometimes I'll see a couple of thuggish looking men in their 20s (both white and black) just sit in their car outside of the apartment for almost hours at a time. The neighbor is always walking around the complex at night, repeatedly entering and leaving their apartment. I see one of them walk around with a flashlight at night shining it at the ground like they dropped something. I have no evidence of any real wrong doing, but this behavior is by far not normal.

edit: also I'll get the occasional person that pulls in, gets out and sees me sitting on my porch, gets back in their car and leave.

any chance of moving out of that place any time soon?

Top Bottom