• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know everyone has their preferences in caliber, sometimes just as convicted to it as their religion (or lack their of). I can respect that, other peoples opinion on things can be very interesting to me. What I don't like, however, are people that are demeaning when they state their opinion.

I work with a guy who shoots a Glock, I think Glocks are cool and have no issues with them. When I purchased my 1911 he liked it, and asked what caliber it was. I told him it was .45acp, his response was, "I'm a firm believer that the only reason to carry/shoot .45 is if you cant hit anything with a 9mm then you need a .45."

I had my reasons for choosing .45 after doing some research and talking to a couple of my friends who carry/shoot regularly, one of which being my cousin who is a police officer. I don't know, I guess it was just annoying. I may be a new shooter, obviously have some work to do with accuracy, but I don't see a 9mm bullet being more accurate than .45 just because of its caliber.

Its not a big deal at all, just one of those little things said that after I walked away made me tilt my head like a confused puppy wondering why anyone would think that. Thing is I ride with this guy quite often (motorcycles) and he says things all the time that leave me thinking "HUH?". One of those guys that always have to have an opinion, or a better story than someone else....a 1 upper if you will. Anyway, sorry for my little rant. Done now! :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let him have his moment and when the opportunity arises prove him wrong.
    If you can not hit with the 9 mm how is a .45 going to help. Accuracy is exactly that. Accuracy. You will or will not hit it.

We ring steel (not 100% but 60/75 %) at 100 yds. off hand with 1911's in .45 ACP with factory loads. If we do not hit it we are so close that it should count for something.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    "I'm a firm believer that the only reason to carry/shoot .45 is if you cant hit anything with a 9mm then you need a .45."
    I don't see a 9mm bullet being more accurate than .45 just because of its caliber.

I may be reading something wrong, but it seems like he's saying it the other way around, that a .45 is more accurate than a 9.

Either way, it depends on the person. I admit to having small hands, full size .45 likes to jump out of my hands. I can do .40, but really prefer 9.:twocents:

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I may be reading something wrong, but it seems like he's saying it the other way around, that a .45 is more accurate than a 9.

Either way, it depends on the person. I admit to having small hands, full size .45 likes to jump out of my hands. I can do .40, but really prefer 9.:twocents:

He is basically saying, if you arent accurate with a 9mm then you need a bigger bullet. As in he is a better shot bc he shoots a 9mm.

ar15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Tell him to shove it. The man is probably just jealous that he can't get another gun. Or he is one of those "wanna-bees" who picks up a few "cool-lingo" words to be one of the guys. Honestly this guy not only sounds like a tool, but an un-educated one at that.

Carry on ;-)

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The problem is people are Human! Some just can't Be and let Be. We usually hang out with folks we get along with or have similar interest with that to a lesser extent trickles down to they make of car you have (Ford vs Chevy) and for us firearm folks sometimes the guns/caliber we use. A lot of folks while meaing well can't not have some critique if they don't agree with your choice of caliber or platform.

There is a difference from giving advice/answering a question on what they like/use and those types above can't stop there they then tell you what you use. They might have valid points on their choice but not every one is them!

As a trainer I have seen folks shoot a 9mm bad but do well with a 45. I have seen folks do bad with a glock and good with a revolver. Every firearm and calber has their own perks and quirks and that is what I personally try to articulate not what I like but thats just me.

Some folks just take it as an insult if you don't like their make of fiream. And I am not a J Yeager fan but he was spot on when he stated people invest their ego in there gun and most of the time thats all it is. Calibers are the same as well.

I'm just thankful we have the choices we do these days. 27 years ago when I started the choices were a revolver, a 1911 a Browning Hi Power or a S&W 59, 459 or 659.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ask your co-worker that if 9mm is more accurate because it's smaller (seems to be his argument)...then why isn't he carrying a .22? Or a .17

-J-

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Everyone has an opinion and it is usually worth exactly what you pay for it. The caliber wars have been going on forever. I doubt they will end anytime soon. The reason no one ever wins these wars is because there are pros and cons to each. Just like the gun you choose to carry, regardless of caliber, and just like the OC/CC debate. If there were indisputable evidence on one side of these wars then there wouldn't be wars. That means a lot of people are on your side...and his. My response to such a challenge would be to appear to ignore it and go out and practice, practice and practice some more.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    When that bath-salt eatin' Zombie comes runnin' toward me to chew my cheeks off, I'd prefer to use a caliber startin' with a 4....unless it's a 12.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I have a 1991A1 and a G26 and I shoot them pretty much the same as far as accuracy goes. Get better friends.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "I'm a firm believer that the only reason to carry/shoot .45 is if you cant hit anything with a 9mm then you need a .45."

That is, quite possibly, the stupidest entry into the caliber wars journal.

All opinions are not equal. Yes, everyone has one, but everyone can have an opinion on the worth of a diamond, too, but you'll probably believe a professional appraiser over me. Rightfully so, he has training and experience that I lack, so his opinion is more likely to be correct and should be weighted more.

What I am to the jewelry world in the above hypothetical is what your friend is to the firearms world, if I were to go to jewelry stores and tell the owners they'd mis-priced everything.

I also carry a .45. I chose it because of real world observation, academic research, and a hefty dose of personal preference. Primarily because from my investigations I've noted that slower/heavier rounds penetrate intermediate barriers better, deflect less, and cause more damage on the other side of car doors, windshields, etc whereas faster/lighter fragment earlier, causing less damage. Given my role as a police officer, I'm more likely to have to engage someone through an intermediate barrier, hence the heavier caliber.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom