• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I also carry a .45. I chose it because of real world observation, academic research, and a hefty dose of personal preference. Primarily because from my investigations I've noted that slower/heavier rounds penetrate intermediate barriers better, deflect less, and cause more damage on the other side of car doors, windshields, etc whereas faster/lighter fragment earlier, causing less damage. Given my role as a police officer, I'm more likely to have to engage someone through an intermediate barrier, hence the heavier caliber.

This is exactly what sold me on a .45, and actually the exact reasoning that my cousin (the police officer) gave me.

He had said, "It won't do a through and through like a 9mm will." I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that means going through a person as easy as a 9mm.

When people criticize my .45 1911, I take it with a 230 grain of salt.

:laugh:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    You don't hear too many self defense reports against a car. I can see where this comes into play for LE but but on average the windshield, door penetration excuse is just a way to get your other half to let you buy a bigger gun. ;)

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    caliber is just one factor.

Training, accuracy, discipline, speed, adaptability, control.

what good is a .45 if you're slow to draw and you wind up dead before you even get your gun unholstered?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well my EDC is a 45 ACP Colt Double Eagle. Between my son and I (we kind of share collecting), we have about 38 different calibers of rifle, shotgun and handguns. I have handguns in 22LR, 22 Mag, .380, 9MM, 9MM Largo, 38 Spl, 357 mag, 45 LC, 44 spl, 44 mag, 7.62 X 25, 7.62 X 38 but carry the 45. I would tell him, I would rather throw a bowling ball than a baseball at a bad guy. The 9MM will do the job if it expands in the right place (inside the torso) - the 45 doesn't need to expand much! I can't say I am more accurate with the 45 or 9mm, I try to stay proficient with all.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I know everyone has their preferences in caliber, sometimes just as convicted to it as their religion (or lack their of). I can respect that, other peoples opinion on things can be very interesting to me. What I don't like, however, are people that are demeaning when they state their opinion.

I work with a guy who shoots a Glock, I think Glocks are cool and have no issues with them. When I purchased my 1911 he liked it, and asked what caliber it was. I told him it was .45acp, his response was, "I'm a firm believer that the only reason to carry/shoot .45 is if you cant hit anything with a 9mm then you need a .45."

I had my reasons for choosing .45 after doing some research and talking to a couple of my friends who carry/shoot regularly, one of which being my cousin who is a police officer. I don't know, I guess it was just annoying. I may be a new shooter, obviously have some work to do with accuracy, but I don't see a 9mm bullet being more accurate than .45 just because of its caliber.

Its not a big deal at all, just one of those little things said that after I walked away made me tilt my head like a confused puppy wondering why anyone would think that. Thing is I ride with this guy quite often (motorcycles) and he says things all the time that leave me thinking "HUH?". One of those guys that always have to have an opinion, or a better story than someone else....a 1 upper if you will. Anyway, sorry for my little rant. Done now! :D

is your motorcycle faster than his? if so one day when you're riding you should just explain to him why you need the extra cc's and take off away from him!:D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is exactly what sold me on a .45, and actually the exact reasoning that my cousin (the police officer) gave me.

He had said, "It won't do a through and through like a 9mm will." I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that means going through a person as easy as a 9mm.

:laugh:

You are correct it what it means. I will tell you almost any reasonable self-defense caliber (which I will loosely describe as .380 and up) is CAPABLE of a through-and-through. Its a function of shot placement, range, and ammo selection. Ball ammo will penetrate further than hollow point, all else being equal. Longer barrel lengths and/or closer ranges mean a faster projectile speed upon impact, and that matters as well.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I know everyone has their preferences in caliber, sometimes just as convicted to it as their religion (or lack their of). I can respect that, other peoples opinion on things can be very interesting to me. What I don't like, however, are people that are demeaning when they state their opinion.

I work with a guy who shoots a Glock, I think Glocks are cool and have no issues with them. When I purchased my 1911 he liked it, and asked what caliber it was. I told him it was .45acp, his response was, "I'm a firm believer that the only reason to carry/shoot .45 is if you cant hit anything with a 9mm then you need a .45."

I had my reasons for choosing .45 after doing some research and talking to a couple of my friends who carry/shoot regularly, one of which being my cousin who is a police officer. I don't know, I guess it was just annoying. I may be a new shooter, obviously have some work to do with accuracy, but I don't see a 9mm bullet being more accurate than .45 just because of its caliber.

Its not a big deal at all, just one of those little things said that after I walked away made me tilt my head like a confused puppy wondering why anyone would think that. Thing is I ride with this guy quite often (motorcycles) and he says things all the time that leave me thinking "HUH?". One of those guys that always have to have an opinion, or a better story than someone else....a 1 upper if you will. Anyway, sorry for my little rant. Done now! :D
    People like this can really get under your skin, but honestly, they generally just talk smack and don't back it up, they can be fun, ya know, when one story contradicts another one and you can call them out on it in front of several people... But then again, I've been told I'm a dick, so maybe it's just me?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People like this can really get under your skin, but honestly, they generally just talk smack and don't back it up, they can be fun, ya know, when one story contradicts another one and you can call them out on it in front of several people... But then again, I've been told I'm a dick, so maybe it's just me?

Nope....you are not alone.

Top Bottom