• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    If you would of asked me this question at the start of the year, I would if said no way. But after watching Payton Manning do what he's done the last 5 games, I say yes! He is the best quarterback to ever play the game! Am I wrong? If so, who's your pick?

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I think he needs to win another title or two to be really considered. There's no question that no one can do what he does. The problem is his reputation of not performing in the playoffs (IMO Dominic Rhodes was the MVP of the Colts' last title). He also threw a pick six late in his other appearance in the Super Bowl.

I say two more rings but maybe just one more will take care of it. I'm also not sure where he is in terms of records. I'm sure he'll be passing some guys in lots of categories soon.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I agree somewhat about the titles, but to do what he did in Indy, then to comeback from such a serious injury and play this caliber of football with another team is damn near un human!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Not the greatest ever. Also a huge whiner. Blames just about everyone but himself when he sucks. We'll see if he is the old Waterhead Manning when a game is meaningful. He'll most likely enter 1 TD, 3-4 INT mode.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Hmmmm ... are you suggesting that Peyton Manning is an alien or maybe a robot? That would explain a lot!
    Yes, I am suggesting that Payton Manning( if that is really his name) is a robot alien! My guess would be he's from Mexico, maybe Costa Rica, But I'm positive he's a robot!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Dan Marino. Fran Trakenton. Warren moon. Just a few just as good. It is very had to say best ever with rule changes over the decades that have cause the air play to become much more in vogue today.

he is as good as any Qback ever I will give him that. I think he might be better in his pre game breakdown of the other teams defense and that is all in his head. So maybe best brain. Best arm might have been moon. Best tough guy might have been Fran. Best Qback with a otherwise crap team might have been dan the man. I think we will soon see how well he does in the winter outside later this year. Then maybe he rises as a tough guy. The dome and Lucas is different than say Fran in MN in the winter outside.

he is the best in the league right now. That said he may well be one sack away from finishing the season on the bench from injury just like ever Qback in the NFL

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree somewhat about the titles, but to do what he did in Indy, then to comeback from such a serious injury and play this caliber of football with another team is damn near un human!

He did not always have a real team around him. He did a lot with the minimum required IMHO.
    I have seen him choke but I was not on the field getting knocked on my butt so hard to say.
    If not physically the best he is among the smartest to "Ever" take the field at that position.

As he does have a good front 4 right now he is surgically taking apart opposing defenses.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Not the greatest ever. Also a huge whiner. Blames just about everyone but himself when he sucks. We'll see if he is the old Waterhead Manning when a game is meaningful. He'll most likely enter 1 TD, 3-4 INT mode.

Spoken like a true Jaguars fan.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm a Peyton fan. Have been ever since he wore The Orange at Tennessee. It's a mighty big statement to proclaim him the best ever. But when discussing great QB's, he's definitely in that mix.

Regarding that last Super Bowl, I still contend they lost that game in the regular season when they punted the undefeated season. They sleep walked from there on out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As others have said, hard to say if he's the best ever, but certainly he's in an elite group. I truly think Luck may eventually equal Peyton. I could be wrong, but he's off to a good start. In addition to being a smart player, Luck also has the ability and willingness to run the ball if necessary, in situations where Peyton probably would not.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I love Peyton and still follow his career. I too think he is up there with the best. One thing I noticed is that he never seems to be enjoying himself. It's weird seeing him throw passes to Welcker I wonder what his record would be if he had Belichick and the Patriots around him.....he never seems to be having fun either....

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

Agreed. Chokes in big games. That's a major reason he hasn't won more titles. I do think that his technical skills are some of the best ever. No doubt he "loves" the game the way anyone lives something they are exceptional at, but I don't think he really has the heart for the game. He is all left brain. No instinct, no passion outside his intellectually driven desire to be great.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Spoken like a true Jaguars fan.

Huh? Must be quick to forget about Waterhead throwing his team under the bus when he lost games (there is at least 1 video of him crying after a game and blaming the O-line, he is lucky they're professionals or he'd have probably been picking himself up a lot more the next week). He has also ran his mouth about Vanderjagt (but since he was just a kicker, he doesn't really matter). You can see when he throws picks, he almost always blames the receiver even if it was clearly his fault. Must be quick to forget about how bad he has played in big games. His 35.5 QB rating in the 2003-2004 AFC playoff (with a lovely Tebow-esque 48.9% completion rate) with 3 INTs to Ty Law. His 31.2 rating in 2002 vs. the Jets, 2004 rating of 69.3, and 2006 rating of 39.5 (pulled off a win against a Baltimore team that really sucked that night) prove right there that he is a great QB when it comes to playoff games (or games that matter).

Watch what happens when a big game is on the line. Waterhead will try forcing plays and end up watching someone from the other team dancing in the endzone.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sepe, did Manning pick on you in grade school?

It's football, I couldn't care less one way or another. No one will change anyone's mind. We're all right in our own heads.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    As others have said, hard to say if he's the best ever, but certainly he's in an elite group. I truly think Luck may eventually equal Peyton. I could be wrong, but he's off to a good start. In addition to being a smart player, Luck also has the ability and willingness to run the ball if necessary, in situations where Peyton probably would not.

I saw Manning run one in yesterday :):

Top Bottom