• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    It is my belief that it is unsafe to be a church Pastor these days, therefore, I believe Pastors and people in their church should be armed. I compiled the following data myself.

NUMBER OF U.S. CHURCH PASTORS MURDERED IN THE LAST FEW DECADES (two of these didn't die from their injuries):
    Fred Winters
    Anne Gordon
    Gregory Spencer
    Andrew Lofton
    Matthew Winkler
    Michael Osborne
    C. Frederick Mathias
    Olander Cassimere Sr.
    Mark McCalla
    Frank Harris, Jr.
    Greg Owyang
    Nathaniel Gordon
    Earle Bernard Neal
    Esther Dozier
    Kernal Rehobson
    Milton L. Moore
    Earl Carter
    Mark Petric

Again, those are just U.S. Pastors murdered in the last 2-3 decades! And, it's an incomplete list.

CHURCH ARSON: (short list of MANY)
    First Assembly of God in Seminole, OK
    New Fellowship Baptist Church in Mattapan, MA
    Barberville Baptist Church in Waynesville, NC
    Sheffield United Methodist Church in Brunswick, GA
    Ashby Baptist Church in Brierfield, AL
    Rehobeth Baptist Church in Lawley, AL
    Old Union Baptist Church in Randolph, AL
    Pleasant Sabine Baptist Church in Centerville, AL
    Antioch Baptist Church in Centerville, AL
    Dancy Baptist Church in Aliceville, AL
    Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church in Boligee, AL
    Spring Valley Baptist Church in Gainesville, AL
    Galilee Baptist Church in Panola, AL
    Macedonia Church of God in Christ in Springfield, MA
    Barren Run United Methodist Church in South Huntington Township, PA

This list also doesn't take into account a larger number of church shootings and kidnappings.

As a Pastor, I will CC when I get my permit (already applied for).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Churches are viewed as soft targets by whack jobs and extremists. Once a few of them leave feet first, with no body count to make them famous, that will stop.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I agree with your idea, but there's that ridiculous law about guns in schools. If a church has a school in it, can the pastor have a gun? I think the reason the above crimes happened in the first place is a church is perceived to be a sheep pen to the wolves.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Part of a pastor's job is to look after his flock as well as his self. I agree with your decision on this. Good luck and God speed.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    I agree that pastors should be packing when a preaching never know when some nut is going to blow through the doors! I also believe the congregation should be carrying also! I always thought those left-winger liberal commies are complaining about separation of church & state if they won't let us pray in school I say we should be able to carry how we want when we worship!

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I agree with your idea, but there's that ridiculous law about guns in schools. If a church has a school in it, can the pastor have a gun? I think the reason the above crimes happened in the first place is a church is perceived to be a sheep pen to the wolves.
    Define school.
    :+1: Heartily agree with that last sentence.:yesway:
    So do I!
    I agree that pastors should be packing when a preaching never know when some nut is going to blow through the doors! I also believe the congregation should be carrying also! I always thought those left-winger liberal commies are complaining about separation of church & state if they won't let us pray in school I say we should be able to carry how we want when we worship!
    Agreed! Every man with a holster and every woman with one in her purse or diaper bag. Yes, diaper bag, I know one lady who does it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The whole idea of making any one class of building or institution a "gun free zone" is, by definition, a failure. The intent, of course, is good. But the logic is terminally flawed. Making it illegal for law abiding citizens to have weapons with which to defend themselves ONLY serves to create a, as Bisley says, "sheep pen" for those who are the very ones the policy seeks to prevent from acting.
    It is because of a fundamentally flawed view of firearms, and weapons in general, as being inherently destructive, or evil. An anthropomorphizing of an inanimate object. Our society tacitly approves this flawed thought process by celebrating such anthropomorphizing of animals, and occasionally objects, in Disney movies (think Beauty and the Beast, in which teapots, clocks, brooms, etc talk and take on human personna) and other popular culture to which children are exposed, WITHOUT any reinforcement by the producers, or worse, by the parents of the thought that it is ALL MAKE BELIEVE. Children, then adults who are allowed to imbue inanimate objects with qualities other than physical, most importantly moral qualities, can easily believe that a handgun may be "evil". Unfortunately for all of us, these same people can eventually become policy makers.
    It's just **** poor logic, folks. And it has become policy, and now affects all of us negatively.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    It is my belief that it is unsafe to be a church Pastor these days, therefore, I believe Pastors and people in their church should be armed. I compiled the following data myself.

NUMBER OF U.S. CHURCH PASTORS MURDERED IN THE LAST FEW DECADES (two of these didn't die from their injuries):
    Fred Winters
    Anne Gordon
    Gregory Spencer
    Andrew Lofton
    Matthew Winkler
    Michael Osborne
    C. Frederick Mathias
    Olander Cassimere Sr.
    Mark McCalla
    Frank Harris, Jr.
    Greg Owyang
    Nathaniel Gordon
    Earle Bernard Neal
    Esther Dozier
    Kernal Rehobson
    Milton L. Moore
    Earl Carter
    Mark Petric

Again, those are just U.S. Pastors murdered in the last 2-3 decades! And, it's an incomplete list.

CHURCH ARSON: (short list of MANY)
    First Assembly of God in Seminole, OK
    New Fellowship Baptist Church in Mattapan, MA
    Barberville Baptist Church in Waynesville, NC
    Sheffield United Methodist Church in Brunswick, GA
    Ashby Baptist Church in Brierfield, AL
    Rehobeth Baptist Church in Lawley, AL
    Old Union Baptist Church in Randolph, AL
    Pleasant Sabine Baptist Church in Centerville, AL
    Antioch Baptist Church in Centerville, AL
    Dancy Baptist Church in Aliceville, AL
    Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church in Boligee, AL
    Spring Valley Baptist Church in Gainesville, AL
    Galilee Baptist Church in Panola, AL
    Macedonia Church of God in Christ in Springfield, MA
    Barren Run United Methodist Church in South Huntington Township, PA

This list also doesn't take into account a larger number of church shootings and kidnappings.

As a Pastor, I will CC when I get my permit (already applied for).

Not to side track the thread but I have a couple of questions.

1. The list of Pastors does it include all Christian faiths or certain ones?

2. Any geographical data. Were these mostly in urban areas or rural? Any particular section of the country?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Great discussion and I agree we should not have to disarm to go to church.

Churches are viewed as soft targets by whack jobs and extremists. Once a few of them leave feet first, with no body count to make them famous, that will stop.
    :+1: to Joe Williams

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Not to side track the thread but I have a couple of questions.

1. The list of Pastors does it include all Christian faiths or certain ones?

2. Any geographical data. Were these mostly in urban areas or rural? Any particular section of the country?
    Fair questions. 1. Christian 2. Combo.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I pastor a church in Franklin, Indiana.

I agree that in our society there is a growing risk of miscreants coming into any church to do harm. Although I would hate to take a life, I would take that life before allowing an innocent to be harmed if it was within my ability to do so.

There is typically one or more handguns in the sanctuary during church services. I won’t say where. That’s for the bad guy to find out…..:D

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I pastor a church in Franklin, Indiana.

I agree that in our society there is a growing risk of miscreants coming into any church to do harm. Although I would hate to take a life, I would take that life before allowing an innocent to be harmed if it was within my ability to do so.
    AGREED!
    There is typically one or more handguns in the sanctuary during church services. I won’t say where. That’s for the bad guy to find out…..:D
    Same here.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Second pistol I bought... 21 years ago. Little Tanfoglio .25 (FIE import.) It was the vest pistol of a friend's Dad. A, then-retired, Southern Baptist minister who took it with him on all of the Saturday visits.

Lots of soft targets, not limited to churches. Protect those you care about, protect yourself, protect others.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    What are you, old or something?? ;)

Hey?! I tried to tell you!! :):

41 just eleven days ago. I still look like a sprightly 22 year old though. :rolleyes:

Yep... I'm the one who turned around to catch Amy taking a picture of my butt! :):

Bladeshowb8.jpg

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Pastor Protest
    Would I be welcome to open carry when I visit your church? I doubt if many people would notice the .44 strapped to my hip anyway:dunno:

Top Bottom