• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Try not to if you can help it. They have some silly laws there that most people like us who come from a state with laws that almost make some sense, would never even dream of!

Wonder if I could use this to stop the trips to the in-laws (who live on the other side of Iowa). ;)

We won't even stop for gas or a bathroom break in IL:noway:
    When my children are sufficiently skilled at peeing in a bottle, I might be able to afford that luxury. Until then...:(

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Last time that happened to me, my wife and I were on our nightly walk. A police officer pulls besides us

Police: what are you guys doing?
    Me: walking.
    Police: where are you walking from?
    Me pointing behind me: that way.
    Police: where are you going?
    Me, pointing in front of me: that way. Have a nice night.

I never stopped walking the whole time. She must have figured we weren't the criminals she was trying to catch, so she left us alone.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Last time that happened to me, my wife and I were on our nightly walk. A police officer pulls besides us

Police: what are you guys doing?
    Me: walking.
    Police: where are you walking from?
    Me pointing behind me: that way.
    Police: where are you going?
    Me, pointing in front of me: that way. Have a nice night.

I never stopped walking the whole time. She must have figured we weren't the criminals she was trying to catch, so she left us alone.

Why do they even ask? Id like to ask an officer if anybody has ever responded "Well you know, I just robbed that liquor store and now Im trying to score some meth."

Cops way overstep their boundaries.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Why do they even ask? Id like to ask an officer if anybody has ever responded "Well you know, I just robbed that liquor store and now Im trying to score some meth."

I don't think they over step. I think they use people's ignorance to their advantage. There is nothing criminal in their asking questions. If people want to hang themselves, who's fault is it?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think it is overly annoying though Rookie.
    On a couple of occasions I have really wanted to let the leash of my inner Buthead part of me and tell them to STFU and bugger off, but luckily so far my brain has been able to override that desire...
    However as the older I become the more difficult that is becoming...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll agree that it's annoying. But you have to realize that police are used to dealing with people who haven't figured out that diarrhea of the mouth can be cured...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Just give them the ID, and make a formal complain to their superior.

When you try to pull the "I don't have to, I know my rights!", you can be arrested anyway.

False arrest maybe, but, as shown by the judgement linked earlier in this thread, even if you are in the right, getting arrested will cost you money.

Most veteran officers know, that the rookies that act like this are what gives the public a bad perspective on officers. Officers want cooperation, so just give it to them, and complain to their superiors when they are out of line.

If everyone did this in a civil manner, those rookies that play diarrhea verbal judo will be in the same position as those that play diarrhea verbal judo against them - in ****.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010

Because criminals are stupid. They talk to much and when they take off running is a good indication that they are up to no good.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just give them the ID, and make a formal complain to their superior.

When you try to pull the "I don't have to, I know my rights!", you can be arrested anyway.

False arrest maybe, but, as shown by the judgement linked earlier in this thread, even if you are in the right, getting arrested will cost you money.

Most veteran officers know, that the rookies that act like this are what gives the public a bad perspective on officers. Officers want cooperation, so just give it to them, and complain to their superiors when they are out of line.

If everyone did this in a civil manner, those rookies that play diarrhea verbal judo will be in the same position as those that play diarrhea verbal judo against them - in ****.

Good Advice, however I will not willingly give up my rights...
    The Law is on my side regardless of what some might think.

A good piece of advice I was giving many years ago was to always have an Attorney that I could call at anytime for help.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Its sort of funny that it is suggested that you treat these encounters like a mugging. Give them what they want, keep the ego happy, and hope they go away. Then file some paperwork.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Its sort of funny that it is suggested that you treat these encounters like a mugging. Give them what they want, keep the ego happy, and hope they go away. Then file some paperwork.

IMO that is actually very different. In the mugging situation, your report will pretty much fall on deaf ears. Catch the perp... not likely. Also, many muggers will hurt you anyway, so shooting them twice in the chest and once in the head would fall squarely in line with defending yourself if they are truly threatening your life. Morally, this person would also continue to do this, which raises the question - if you do not take action, are you putting others at risk?

While i understand the urge to fight against giving them the ID at all, you have to pick your battles. In the case of a police officer, you WILL be able to identify the officer. The MOST likely way to ensure the officer does not act in the same manner in the future, is to take it up with someone above them. Sadly, most officers that will play this game, believe they are your superior (but will fall in line to their superior).

There are ways to win fights, and ways to lose them - in cases like these, cool minds prevail.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Good Advice, however I will not willingly give up my rights...
    The Law is on my side regardless of what some might think.

A good piece of advice I was giving many years ago was to always have an Attorney that I could call at anytime for help.

That view I understand too. I truly respect people that stand up for their convictions.

Just wanted to point out the other possible ways a cat can be skinned.

Top Bottom