• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you use this approach, make sure you don't have the audio recording or you can be arrested AND prosecuted for illegal wiretapping. There are many, many examples of this exact thing happening all over the country. I would like to get more of our elected officials to take notice of this ridiculous, outdated law, we'll see.
    That's not true in Indiana. This is a single party state and you are free to record however you please.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's not true in Indiana. This is a single party state and you are free to record however you please

Weeeeelllllll, not exactly "however you please".:D (The neighbor's wife may object to someone around the windows with a camera--"but, but, officer, this guy on the Internet said I could do it however I please.").

The case you want to read is Starr v. State of Indiana:

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/06221001lmb.pdf

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What legal right, if any, does an officer have to ask for passenger ID during a traffic stop?

Oh, he can ask but all I'm going to do is make kissy-face nosies at him or her.:D Indeed, in the Starr opinion the Court of Appeals writes that most people will just give the cop what he asks for. Most people talk too much on stops anywho (nervous).

They can ask me, the passenger, for my ID, ask where I'm going, what my sign is, what my favorite sushi is, who is the hottest Hollywood actress, whatever, but I don't have to answer.

Just look at him and smile . . . kissy-face is optional.:laugh:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I was wondering, as someone mentioned earlier, if I could be charged with anything for refusing even if it was an unlawful demand. If an officer chooses to detain me for refusing his order, lawful or not, I obviously can't just drive off.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    ask for a supervisor and make sure your tape recorder is already recording.

I see a good deal of comments on here regarding "recorders". I just want to be sure that we are all aware that if we cross the state line into Illinois, it is illegal to record a Police Officer without his/her consent. It is very hard to understand that by simply reading the statute but, you are just going to have to trust me on this.

The following quote is of the original statute taken from Illinois General Assembly Home Page

(720 ILCS 5/14‑2) (from Ch. 38, par. 14‑2)
    Sec. 14‑2. Elements of the offense; affirmative defense.
    (a) A person commits eavesdropping when he:
    (1) Knowingly and intentionally uses an
    eavesdropping device for the purpose of hearing or recording all or any part of any conversation or intercepts, retains, or transcribes electronic communication unless he does so (A) with the consent of all of the parties to such conversation or electronic communication or (B) in accordance with Article 108A or Article 108B of the "Code of Criminal Procedure of 1963", approved August 14, 1963, as amended;
    If anyone wants to read the full statute, it can be found at the Illinois General Assembly's site

720*ILCS*5/*Criminal Code of 1961. <--- Link

and if you want to do your own research, it is often referred to as the "Eavesdropping Act"

EDIT: and for those of you wondering how citizens let this happen, some people are in the process of trying to fight it:
    ACLU challenges Illinois eavesdropping act - Chicago Breaking News <--- Link

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Oh, he can ask but all I'm going to do is make kissy-face nosies at him or her.:D Indeed, in the Starr opinion the Court of Appeals writes that most people will just give the cop what he asks for. Most people talk too much on stops anywho (nervous).

They can ask me, the passenger, for my ID, ask where I'm going, what my sign is, what my favorite sushi is, who is the hottest Hollywood actress, whatever, but I don't have to answer.

Just look at him and smile . . . kissy-face is optional.:laugh:

I call BS. If you are asked who the hottest actress is, you HAVE to say Milla Yovovich. It's state law!

Insert obligatory picture...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    State law!

donnie%2Bbaker

Milla:

milla-jovovich-hot.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was wondering, as someone mentioned earlier, if I could be charged with anything for refusing even if it was an unlawful demand. If an officer chooses to detain me for refusing his order, lawful or not, I obviously can't just drive off.

Refusing to do what? ID yourself? Get out of the car? What exactly?

No, you can't just run off like the knucklehead in Tawdul did. Are you just sitting in the passenger seat and making kissy faces? What is going on?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Refusing to do what? ID yourself? Get out of the car? What exactly?

I understand I must ID myself. I'm referring to providing my daughter's (passenger) ID and/or answering questions irrelevant to my traffic infraction.

Oh, and I must refrain from comment about the above posted photo because I can't look at it without thinking she could be younger than my daughter. :rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I understand I must ID myself.

If you are the driver and the cop stops you for an infraction, sure ID yourself.

I'm referring to providing my daughter's (passenger) ID and/or answering questions irrelevant to my traffic infraction.

So, the passenger refuses to ID themselves and refuses to play 20 questions? Just sit there and make kissy faces.

O.K., no harm in that. Most people talk to the cops way too much.

Oh, and I must refrain from comment about the above posted photo because I can't look at it without thinking she could be younger than my daughter

Let us all respect Milla.:D

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Oh, and I must refrain from comment about the above posted photo because I can't look at it without thinking she could be younger than my daughter. :rolleyes:

Milla was born in 1975:)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I see a good deal of comments on here regarding "recorders". I just want to be sure that we are all aware that if we cross the state line into Illinois, it is illegal to record a Police Officer without his/her consent. It is very hard to understand that by simply reading the statute but, you are just going to have to trust me on this.

The following quote is of the original statute taken from Illinois General Assembly Home Page

If anyone wants to read the full statute, it can be found at the Illinois General Assembly's site

and if you want to do your own research, it is often referred to as the "Eavesdropping Act"

EDIT: and for those of you wondering how citizens let this happen, some people are in the process of trying to fight it:

if i ever go to illinois and get pulled out of my car having a tape recorder is gonna be the least of my problems ;)

if i go to illinois, i will allow ingo to have a public flogging for me. I dont go to communist states.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

So the lesson here is just don't go to IL? :dunno:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    if i ever go to illinois and get pulled out of my car having a tape recorder is gonna be the least of my problems ;)

if i go to illinois, i will allow ingo to have a public flogging for me. I dont go to communist states.

Yeah, I work there and am just thrilled about the 66% income tax increase!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    So the lesson here is just don't go to IL? :dunno:

Try not to if you can help it. They have some silly laws there that most people like us who come from a state with laws that almost make some sense, would never even dream of!

Top Bottom