PART 3: I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience, and what is all this crap about pineapple on pizza.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I remember actually using pay phones. Calling cards were a big thing on some of my earlier deployments.
    When I was first deployed overseas, I made a couple of phone calls using the MARS system. Then we upgraded to AUTODIN. In the mid 80's calling cards were a big improvement. When I was dating my future wife, we wrote lots of letters when I was deployed. I kinda miss the simplicity of those days.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I remember when Sprint was a long distance landline service. You went to a pay phone and held your little autodialer box up to the receiver and it emitted the touch tones for a 25 digit account number, then when you got the connect signal, you either hit the key on your box to speed dial the number you were calling, or just entered it by hand on the payphone.
    Truckstops used to have walls of payphones lining a hallway. 20 to 30 units. Some even had little sit down cubicles with a desk and chair.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I remember when Sprint was a long distance landline service. You went to a pay phone and held your little autodialer box up to the receiver and it emitted the touch tones for a 25 digit account number, then when you got the connect signal, you either hit the key on tour box to speed dial the number you were calling, or just entered it by hand on the payphone.
    Truckstop used to have walls of payphone lining a hallway. 20 to 30 units. Some even had little sit down cubicles with a desk and chair.
    I remember the malls having those big round tables with payphones all around them.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When I was first deployed overseas, I made a couple of phone calls using the MARS system. Then we upgraded to AUTODIN. In the mid 80's calling cards were a big improvement. When I was dating my future wife, we wrote lots of letters when I was deployed. I kinda miss the simplicity of those days.
    You're bringing back memories Snoop! AUTOVON changed to DSN (Defense Switching Network) in early 1990. Might have been a little better, one less echo maybe.

During the 1 week I was TDY at McClellan AFB, Cali in 97 I could call my wife at home (base housing) from a phone on base. Home phones on base in Iceland had 4-digit numbers. Put the DSN prefix (450 IIRC) in front and it rang at home.

In Qatar in 2005 I called home in the afternoon (early morning in Virginia) just called the base operator who transferred me to the home number. On Saturday mornings I'd call Mom and Dad. It was like 0630 in Indiana, Mom and Dad were up, they are farm-folk after all. I'd call a number... I can't remember exactly how it worked, might have had their calling card number. It was like a long distance call from Alabama to Indiana, so it must've been their calling card number or something.

Wasn't that long ago that we didn't have smart phones.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    In My much younger days, I would drive cross country with no cell phone, they didn’t exist, and a 10 year old Rand McNally atlas. Never had a problem. Hard to imagine doing that now.

Drove across the country by myself in 84 using only maps. It's a nice feeling, knowing how to navigate with a map and compass. Still carry an atlas and detailed Indiana map in the truck.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I remember actually using pay phones. Calling cards were a big thing on some of my earlier deployments.
    I actually grew up (through age 12 or so) in a town that did not even have a pay phone to the best of my recollection. Then we moved to a larger town that did have a phone booth and pay pohone - right outside the town police station. (We had one full time cop who worked days and a part time "night watch" who came on in hte evening and woudl drive around town throughout the night looking for malecreants.

In my pre-driving days, we woudl go out on foot or bike and actively try to avoid the night watch. Later when we had cars we'd do the same. Sort of a game. Never glt caught,

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I remember when I went to Vocational school. There were two phone booths out on the sidewalk. A prank a couple students liked to pull was to put some sort of grease on the ear and mouthpiece of the phone and go into the other booth and wait for someone to walk by. They would call the other booth and hope that whoever would answer. Getting grease on their ear and the side of their mouth. I never really thought that was funny myself.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I actually grew up (through age 12 or so) in a town that did not even have a pay phone to the best of my recollection. Then we moved to a larger town that did have a phone booth and pay pohone - right outside the town police station. (We had one full time cop who worked days and a part time "night watch" who came on in hte evening and woudl drive around town throughout the night looking for malecreants.

In my pre-driving days, we woudl go out on foot or bike and actively try to avoid the night watch. Later when we had cars we'd do the same. Sort of a game. Never glt caught,
    Good practice.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    i am certainly the minority. I never did carry maps in the car, nor now use a smartphone for directions.

i have a map in my head i swear, lol. Always could literally memorize roads and railroads and where they go. And just not the big destinations ether, the small towns and interesting places too, as well as multiple ways to get to them.

My favorite trick is heading somewhere one way, and heading back some other way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember when I went to Vocational school. There were two phone booths out on the sidewalk. A prank a couple students liked to pull was to put some sort of grease on the ear and mouthpiece of the phone and go into the other booth and wait for someone to walk by. They would call the other booth and hope that whoever would answer. Getting grease on their ear and the side of their mouth. I never really thought that was funny myself.
    They got you, didn't they? :stickpoke:

Top Bottom