Palmettos a no go with suppressors on there rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I mean, who would thread barrels and send then knowingly to the public with issues like that?
    I would venture to say that this would not be an issue for the vast majority of PSA's customer base.
    Chances are most any brake or flash hider would not be affected by this problem, so most consumers would never know there was a problem.
    What percentage of PSA customers put suppressors on their rifles?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I would venture to say that this would not be an issue for the vast majority of PSA's customer base.
    Chances are most any brake or flash hider would not be affected by this problem, so most consumers would never know there was a problem.
    What percentage of PSA customers put suppressors on their rifles?
    I don't know, that's why I've posted this thread.
    Cans are pretty common in todays world.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN

Appears that PSA warrants their barrels to be concentric (see below). Not sure where you dug up that info in the first post, from the internet maybe :>). Or maybe it is really old, or they need some employee training!

Full Lifetime Warranty.​

Palmetto State Armory firearms are covered by an industry leading Full Lifetime Warranty. This extends beyond the original purchaser. We want the person who bought a great quality firearm at an excellent price to have comfort in knowing that no matter what, the firearm can be fixed at no additional cost.

This includes shipping both ways.​

We strive for excellence all the way through production and hope customers never have to use this warranty but we also pride ourselves in 99% non-repair/return ratio. It is there for peace of mind so that the consumer can be confident in their purchase. Should the consumer ever need to contact us regarding a repair under the warranty, simply use our contact form or give us a call at 877-560-7229.
    Palmetto State Armory firearms and parts are backed by our Full Lifetime Warranty. Our PSA firearms and parts are warranted to be free from defects in materials and craftsmanship for the serviceable lifetime of the firearm or part. All Palmetto State Armory barrels are machined and guaranteed to be concentric with the bore of our barrels.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/full-lifetime-warranty.html

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's an easy thing to bypass with the end user, a $20.00 piece of drill stock will instantly tell you if you have a problem.

Pardon me, I am suppressor dumb. Why wouldn't suppressor sellers include this with their purchase or sell it as an accessory to go with?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Pardon me, I am suppressor dumb. Why wouldn't suppressor sellers include this with their purchase or sell it as an accessory to go with?
    Some companys sell them, I just order drill stock in the correct size from McMaster Carr.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some companys sell them, I just order drill stock in the correct size from McMaster Carr.

Do you slug your barrel to determine the correct size? Or use another bore measuring method? How tight should the test drill stock be?

Do you have to take any special precautions to avoid rifling or crown damage? Or is that not a concern?

What is the procedure for this testing? Test as assembling or test after assembled? Do you feel the drill rod sliding on the rifling, but not touching any part of the suppressor?

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Do you slug your barrel to determine the correct size? Or use another bore measuring method? How tight should the test drill stock be?

Do you have to take any special precautions to avoid rifling or crown damage? Or is that not a concern?

What is the procedure for this testing? Test as assembling or test after assembled? Do you feel the drill rod sliding on the rifling, but not touching any part of the suppressor?
    I ordered drill rod the same size as what one of the supressor manufacturers were offering for sale for a bunch less money.
    It's a sung fit in the barrel the hole in the can is larger. I check when the can is mounted on the firearm.
    You are doing a check to make dam sure the bore is concentric with the mounted can.
    I'm not going to be aggressive enough as to hurt the bore or crown in any way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I ordered drill rod the same size as what one of the supressor manufacturers were offering for sale for a bunch less money.
    It's a sung fit in the barrel the hole in the can is larger. I check when the can is mounted on the firearm.
    You are doing a check to make dam sure the bore is concentric with the mounted can.
    I'm not going to be aggressive enough as to hurt the bore or crown in any way.

I'm not planning on having suppressors anytime soon. That said, seems like a smart prepper thing to do would be to have the appropriate sized drill rods in the parts cabinet for the important calibers? Just in case you'd come across a suppressor laying on the ground in a SHTF situation?

:dunno:

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Idk about their barrels but I've had 2 of their BCGS decide to part ways with the gas key while being fired suppressed, sub 150 rounds each lol No issues with their guns before but based on what little data I have there I just assume that they aren't going to hold up to the additional beatings all that back pressure is putting on them.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Idk about their barrels but I've had 2 of their BCGS decide to part ways with the gas key while being fired suppressed, sub 150 rounds each lol No issues with their guns before but based on what little data I have there I just assume that they aren't going to hold up to the additional beatings all that back pressure is putting on them.
    Sub 150 rounds just sounds like a torque or staking issue IMO.

Or a fastener heat treat problem. Ruger has that problem with the SFAR and some of those gas key fasteners not actually being advertised grade.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ah.... PSA.

As has been said - you get what you pay for. Generally speaking.

Drill-rods are CHEAP insurance. I had a buddy order me a few when he ordered his. I've got 'em for rifles and pistols. And I don't even own a single PSA firearm (and probably won't)

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I think having rods is a good idea no matter what barrel you use. There's ALWAYS a chance something went wrong in the machining process and it slipped through. Even high end barrels have that chance (granted it's much lower).

I bought a bunch of different tight tolerance W1 tool steel rods from McMaster Carr. Shipping is pricey for one or two but averages out the more you buy so just plan ahead. They're softer than what a barrel is gonna be so unless you're doing something stupid with them, you shouldn't have to worry about any damage.

I don't actually know runout is considered good enough when checking a supressor so I straightened all of mine to be less than a couple thousandths. Most of them came pretty straight, but the small diameter ones had some bow to them. Maybe like 5 thou at the worst iirc. They're the easiest to straighten at least.

Top Bottom