Palmettos a no go with suppressors on there rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This was posted in another thread, never have I heard of such a thing.

We own two Palmetto Uppers a cheap one and a good one and neither came with any warnings not to use a suppressor on them.
    I never seen anything on there website with the topic either.
    FB_IMG_1723988186549.jpg

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I watched a video of a guy cutting barrels and showing the bore not centered in several rifles of differing manufacturers. With the heat PSA has come under lately, they are doing a bit of CYA here most likely. But most manufacturers probably know this fact.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Sounds like they admitted alot of their barrels are not checked like they should for safety reasons. Not a good statement to put out if being sued.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Links, and more specific info related to PSA please? Thank you
    That's what I'm looking for myself.
    I mean, who would thread barrels and send then knowingly to the public with issues like that?
    Personally I don't believe it's true.

That email was posted in another thread.

Last edited:

keeph8n

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Have one on one of my PSA ars. Have 300 rounds so far through it without issue.

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Barrel concentricity issues have been around for a long long time. WW2 produced US 1903A3 barrels were contoured in a hurry, there was a war on. I have personally seen several that came off sporterized 03A3s that the owners said point of impact shifted when shot quickly. After being replaced with new sporter barrels the problem went away, in each case the barrels were cut at 5 inch intervals and about halfway along the length the barrels were out of concentricity by as much as .1 inches.
    I ALWAYS indicate the bore at each end of the barrel when chambering, crowning, or threading barrels.
    What mass producers of barrels do I cannot say...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    PSA is similar to Glock. They have a lot of exposure because they are likely the biggest seller out there.

There are things to go wrong when you are trying to keep up with high demand. Happens in every manufacturing industry. Often effecting only a small percentage of the product. Often effecting an even smaller percentage of end users.

It doesn't take much of a problem for word to get out (right or wrong,) with a jealous crowd observing, waiting for such an issue.

:twocents:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    This would explain my experience with PSA that’s detailed in the AR tier chart thread.

I know in the Army the amours had a machined rod that if you put it in the barrel it was good. If not it was bent or out of spec.
    They also used gauges for barrel, chamber, ect.

Seems like a manufacturer would do that?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This would explain my experience with PSA that’s detailed in the AR tier chart thread.

I know in the Army the amours had a machined rod that if you put it in the barrel it was good. If not it was bent or out of spec.

I'm sure they do. Likely multiple times. Last thing any manufacture needs is bad press like this.

Like car manufactures with recalls though, stuff goes wrong. Humans do the measuring and we are flawed. I have seen auditors measure a part a full revolution of a dial gage and pass many, until a another auditor catches the error.

A lot more stuff goes wrong than is known, I'm sure you have heard of recalls that have never made it to the recall stage. I have actually seen an auto parts contractor catch a part out of spec, after days of production. Tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of out of spec parts were "worked into" containers of parts that were in spec.

The other side of the coin is that frequently a minor out of spec part still does the job just fine. You wouldn't know, if you didn't know.

Another aspect is the legal stuff. What once was, "We're sorry, here's a replacement," now involves class action lawsuits, personal injury attorneys and all the CYA associated with them.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Its also being prudent to have the correct size drill stock in house on you bench to check when one adds a suppressor along with a quick release mount and a suppressor.

Also just because a barrel bored correctly it doesn't mean that the threading on the end is concentric with the bore.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm sure they do. Likely multiple times. Last thing any manufacture needs is bad press like this.

Like car manufactures with recalls though, stuff goes wrong. Humans do the measuring and we are flawed. I have seen auditors measure a part a full revolution of a dial gage and pass many, until a another auditor catches the error.

A lot more stuff goes wrong than is known, I'm sure you have heard of recalls that have never made it to the recall stage. I have actually seen an auto parts contractor catch a part out of spec, after days of production. Tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of out of spec parts were "worked into" containers of parts that were in spec.

The other side of the coin is that frequently a minor out of spec part still does the job just fine. You wouldn't know, if you didn't know.

Another aspect is the legal stuff. What once was, "We're sorry, here's a replacement," now involves class action lawsuits, personal injury attorneys and all the CYA associated with them.
    Yep, it may work just fine until another part that's at the far end of it's tolerance range makes it go kaput.

Top Bottom