• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I have an older milled receiver Norinco Hunter. They are pretty similar to the set up of how Saiga rifles come from the factory. This is not my rifle but one similar to it:

dscf11858yn.jpg

Do any of you have any recommendations for places that will convert this to a respectable looking AND functioning AK-pattern style rifle? I picked this up with the intention of getting a Galil-style clone but I don't know of anyone who really makes these. I found a lot of threads but they are coming up on three years plus of being old... and much of the workmanship is "meh" at best.

I've build ARs in the past but I'm not sure I'm mechanically inclined enough to convert this to a true AK-style rifle. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Those are pretty cool rifles! I don't know anywhere local, and I hate to recommend someone across the country.... But I have sent stuff to a guy off of The AK Forum -his name is "turbothis". He does wonderful work, and has done me well in the past. If you can't find someone local, and you get desperate give him a hollar!

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    How much of a Galil do you want it to look like? The hardest part is doing the conversion for the stock. You either need to weld a rear portion of a Galil receiver so its not slanted or make some sort of adapter. Most Galil parts will just interchange. I get my Galil parts from akpartskits.com and apexgunparts.com (Apex has chopped up Galil receivers to do the rear section). Other than the stock the rest is easy just a bit pricey. Don't forget to put in your compliance parts!

Last edited:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure if there's anybody around that is willing to weld on your receiver and that's your biggest challenge. When I did one, I bought a chopped up Galil receiver from Apex ($15), and had a buddy of mine who works in a custom auto fab shop fit and tig weld it. The rest of the parts were easy to swap out with Galil parts. Other than the the receiver issue it's not much more difficult than building an AR.:)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm not certain, but I think that the same kit and template for a saiga conversion would get the holes in the receiver where they need to be. Or even a full auto conversion template and parts kit would get you an Illegal full auto....
    That seems like a pretty rare and unique rifle as is though, I would possibly be interested in trading a CAI WASR 10 with a chrome lined barrel and a front sight block that ISN'T canted for it? I'd even throw in the original wood furniture along with the tapco poly that's on it....

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Thanks for the links. I already had that link bookmarked, 762MIke. I was hoping that someone else was doing conversions slightly nicer... it looks a little bubbafied in that ar15 thread except for the very last photo.

Throttle, I appreciate the offer of the WASR 10 but I will decline. If you have any other AK models, let me know because I'd be interested in those.

Thanks for the posts, everyone.

barcode92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    looking to do the same thing convert norinco hunter to ak style or galil clone...what parts do i need besides the obvious trigger guard and fcg?

Last edited:

futureofwar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    How bad are these to actually shoot? Is it just that people want tactical looking guns? Ive never held one of these before so I don't know, the trigger is weird but thats all that would make me not like it. I had always thought before that the Saiga shotgun would suck with no pistol grip but I took mine out of my Kushnapup stock (which is how I bought the gun, in the stock) and I thought it felt really good and sooo light. I actually was wanting to buy that gun off you Weakerbrother but the distance always got in the way when you where selling it still. Did you ever get it converted would love to see the pics if so.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Those Norinco hunter's are worth a pretty penny. They seem to fetch about $500 off of gunbroker. But hey it's your rifle do as you please. It just seems the value of the rifle plus the money you put into a conversion will cost more than what a Galil or AK is actually worth.

Top Bottom