Pacers Might Leave Town If They Don't Get Public Assistance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    What, this thread is still going and the Pacers are not gone yet? I notice much dislike being voiced for Pro Sports in general as well. Let me rephrase that, I notice much dislike for the miss-management of pro sports. I wonder if the Mayor reads this forum or at the very least gets briefed on it. I hope so.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    This update is in today's Star:

CIB might take over Conseco Fieldhouse | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Some choice quotes:

"That means the operating costs would be paid primarily with tax dollars."

"Under the contract, the Pacers pay for the operating costs of Conseco, while the CIB is responsible for larger capital improvement projects. The team, in turn, keeps revenue from basketball games and other events at Conseco."

"Okeson said the CIB will remain open to other options while the board figures out ways it could pay the extra operating cost with its funds, which come from taxes on things such as hotels, food and beverages, cigarettes and auto rentals."

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Over half of the NBA teams are losing money this year and about the same amount lost out last year as well according to the NBA. BEFORE, they ask for tax dollars they may want to get their spending habits under control as well as figure out why nobody wants to watch the teams play anymore.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I say let the Pacers and Colts go and use that money to employ some of the GOOD teachers many of the districts let go in order to save money!

Take the ICE with them !

There are far more important issues we need to deal with than keeping ANY ball , hockey , or frisbee team in town .

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    We pay some of these players how many millions a year? If they are not drawing the crowds and making money, why not reduce their pay so that they can keep in the black? If they are not doing the job, fire them or reduce their pay to keep them playing?

They do that in factories all the time. You want to keep your job, take a pay cut or we close the plant. Why not do the same thing with a sports team?

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    The only disagreement I have with any posts here are the ones about the Indians. Victory field was voted best minor league park, tickets are VERY reasonable even for the good seats, and I'm not indirectly financing the Vic like I'm financing ***** All stadium.

From the Wiki article on the Indians:
    A young man named Max Schumacher joined the Indians front office as ticket manager in 1957. He added the duties of publicity director in 1959, and became the club's general manager in 1961 -- a post he held through 1997. Max was also named the team's President in 1969 following Bush's retirement. To this day, he continues as President and Chairman of the Board of Indians, Inc. Under his direction, the corporation has turned a profit for 28 straight years.
    Keep the Injuns, get rid of the rest of these bums.

for the record, I have no opinion on the Ice, as I'm not a big hockey fan and have never been to a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The reality is that big law firms run the city. They get what they want and you pay for it. You can elect different people to different offices but in the end they are all beholden to the big law firm machine. Indianapolis gets more like Chicago everyday. Glad I'm moving, but deep down I know that they will just start raising taxes on people living elsewhere in the state soon enough.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Wow, I thought I would be the only one here to say "Get out or shut up!" Everyone I talk to outside of here is very pro sports teams. I'm against giving them any public money whatsoever. If it were to be a good investment for the city, they maybe I can see, but I'm pretty sure they suck. Actually forgot they were even still here. I've been to Conseco 2 times, wasn't impressed either. I saw an Ice game this year, and a concert. Sound sucks, horrible venue for a concert. It was okay for the Ice game but I would have much rather gone to the fair grounds. As mentioned in a previous post here, no money from the state even IF it were to be a good investment.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    We pay some of these players how many millions a year? If they are not drawing the crowds and making money, why not reduce their pay so that they can keep in the black? If they are not doing the job, fire them or reduce their pay to keep them playing?

They do that in factories all the time. You want to keep your job, take a pay cut or we close the plant. Why not do the same thing with a sports team?

Yep, Free Market thinking would lead you to that conclusion. Paid millions of dollars a year, and we can't even find one member willing to speak up that they support them. What a laugh.

Top Bottom