• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not a single manufacturer has a problem free history but the concern I have with Sig is that they did a complete 180 and engineered a fix almost overnight. Come on Sig, how about a little honesty....
    Actually Sig said that they have had an ongoing program to improve the pistols. That still doesn't alleviate them of the responsibility to address a safety issue, once it had been identified (some say over a year ago). That being said, the currently universally accepted protocols for safety testing appear to need updating.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A strap doesn't affect inertia/momentum, which is what is causing the discharges.

That's how that off duty officer's Colt Officers Model Series 80 went off when he was in a room during an MRI being done....Inertia/momentum....Grip safety? Check...Thumb safety on? Check...Gun holstered and not being coon fingered? Check? Retention strap between hammer and firing pin? Check....

And yet....Boom!!!!

It happens....

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2014/10/08/rise-machines-mri-scanner-disarms-officer-fires-weapon/

The Only Truly Accidental Firearms Discharge In the History the World, Ever - The Truth About Guns

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I called sig this morning, told them that I own 2 p320's and that I was wondering about the recall, I was told there will not be a recall, there's a voluntary safety upgrade that will be announced on Monday, that he (the person at sig) didn't know anything about yet, but he did say that my 320's were safe to carry, that they meet all government safety standards....yes I know, but I hear that the x5's don't have the issue I said, I'm asking because I have a grey guns trigger in one, and an apex in the other, and since you put the grey guns trigger in the x5 is that one safe.....his reply, the guns are safe to carry, and that sig makes the trigger for the x5's......but then he asked what trigger I like better (the apex or grey guns!...for the record I like the grey guns). he also told me that since they are constantly upgrading their guns, they were going to start using the new parts soon anyway

so for the record, im going to call sig on Monday, and send them back just to be sure, I still love my 320's and am still looking for a new York reload holster for them

View attachment 58052

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I called sig this morning... he also told me that since they are constantly upgrading their guns, they were going to start using the new parts soon anyway

They are marketing, just like they try to upsell you when you call for custom shop work. That's ok, it's what corporations do, but recognize it for what it is.

The last Sig I had to send in for service had about 3300 rounds on it. They tried to sell me a package to replace all the springs. The double talk was amazing when I pointed out that needing every spring replaced after 3k rounds didn't speak highly of durability or use as a duty gun, especially since my short extractor Sig has over 40k rounds with only recoil spring changes*. Trying to simultaneously sell me a package as necessary while reassuring me that it wasn't necessary was pretty comical. He eventually told me that "special forces units" send their guns back to Sig every 3k rounds because they want their guns "as springy" as possible. I laughed at him at that point and he quit playing games.

*and a replacement front sight insert, but as far as springs, just the recoil every 5k.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm no mechanical engineer, but if it cushions the impact, I would think that would be a factor.

It could be if it reduces the peak acceleration force acting on the gun. I think another factor might be the weight of the gun. Most of us know that a full size and a SC will be going the same speed when they hit the pavement if dropped from the same height, but they will NOT have the same reaction force. F=MA. The larger mass of the full size causes a larger reaction force to be applied to it by the ground. Which suggests perhaps that the smaller reaction force may not initiate AD on a smaller pistol.

Similar to how the lighter trigger seemed to improve the margin against AD.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Well I sold my P320c last night. I'm off the wagon. I didn't think I would get butt hurt about the whole deal but in a way I did. I feel like Sig knew about this and they didn't think it would surface. I could be wrong but I still sold it. Got a M&P9c FDE on order at copper customs right now. Love my M&p9 so figured I'd give it a great looking reliable brother. Now I gotta do another Apex upgrade!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    738DLO1.jpg

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm no mechanical engineer, but if it cushions the impact, I would think that would be a factor.

A packaging engineer or someone that works with crash testing things would be able to give you better details about impact forces. I'm neither but worked around the packaging engineers for a couple decades. These are the guys who figure out how to get that brand new TV from the factory to the retail store without it being shattered into thousands of pieces, at least most of the time.

A factoid learned from them (more factoids since forgotten). Dropped from about 3 feet to a hard concrete floor, an object with any amount of mass to it compared to size (so it doesn't float to the ground), at 32 ft/sec^2 gravitational acceleration, will impact the floor with about 300g's force at point of impact. As that crushes the object (hard concrete doesn't deform much), either elastically or inelasticallly, the internal g-forces are dissipated. The farther from point of impact, the less the g-force. Hard objects don't dissipate g-forces very much as there's little deformation.

Dropped onto asphaltic concrete* it's less, but not by much. Onto a wood floor is substantially lower g-force, roughly the same as for tile and Linoleum floors. On carpet, it's substantially less and very variable depending on nap and padding, but it's still quite significant. Bottom line: don't drop stuff, it's really hard on it, much harder than most imagine. It's not the fall that hurts, it's the very sudden stop at the end.

Methinks Sig Sauer currently has a public relations challenge.

* Yup, the proper name for asphalt. Sometimes it's incorrectly called tarmac, which is slang for tarmacadam and was tar mixed with macadam aggregate used circa 1900. Similar in end result, but not the same as asphaltic concrete which is an asphalt binder (primarily) instead of portland cement with a stone aggregate. Tar is derived from coal. Asphalt is derived from crude oil. Technically, concrete is any binder with any aggregate, but it's commonly used as a name for stone aggregate with a portland cement binder. Rocky road ice cream is a type of concrete. "Cement" is incorrectly used by some as a name for "concrete" as it's only the (portland) cement binder without the aggregate. Likewise, "asphalt" merely references the binder material.

John

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I don't care what the army uses as long as it works for our troops! And I don't own a P320 so I don't have a dog in this but I don't understand why any gun company would try to hide stuff rather than just fix it and move on. You would think they know by now that the gun culture group are like hyena's on a wounded wildabeast until they hit bone! It would be worth the salary to have somebody watch social media and stay ahead at this point, but they probably already pay somebody for that. Whoops

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't care what the army uses as long as it works for our troops! And I don't own a P320 so I don't have a dog in this but I don't understand why any gun company would try to hide stuff rather than just fix it and move on. You would think they know by now that the gun culture group are like hyena's on a wounded wildabeast until they hit bone! It would be worth the salary to have somebody watch social media and stay ahead at this point, but they probably already pay somebody for that. Whoops
    Apparently denial has worked in the past for Glock, but in 1992 the internet wasn't nearly as widely used as today. How soon we forget: https://web.archive.org/web/20080604164428/http://www.thegunzone.com:80/glock/upgrade-faq.html

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Apparently denial has worked in the past for Glock, but in 1992 the internet wasn't nearly as widely used as today. How soon we forget: https://web.archive.org/web/20080604164428/http://www.thegunzone.com:80/glock/upgrade-faq.html

Glock has used denial and lies much more recently than that. However even with the Internet, NDAs and other factors keep the info from being widely available.

If Sig and Glock merged, the gun would not be drop safe because you're limp wristing it, use bad ammo, and/or put it back together wrong.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Glock has used denial and lies much more recently than that. However even with the Internet, NDAs and other factors keep the info from being widely available.

If Sig and Glock merged, the gun would not be drop safe because you're limp wristing it, use bad ammo, and/or put it back together wrong.
    Dang those Axis Powers!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom