• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if it's not feel free to let me know.

I'm taking a trip to lousiana to visit family before an upcoming deployment and this will be the first time I have been down there since I started carrying and I do intend on carrying. I have done some research into laws there And feel like i have a good knowledge of them. I was just wondering if I could get some advice from some people that may have had exp. with their laws. I am driving there, not sure on the route yet. Any advice on laws, route planning or personal exp would be appreciated.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Don't drive through IL, do your research, and if in doubt on what the law reads, err on the side of caution and attempt to avoid the situation in the first place. Take a look at some of the national carry forums, or find a local forum to that area and read up a little bit to see how things are interpreted and what the issues and legal traps are.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    Don't drive through IL, do your research, and if in doubt on what the law reads, err on the side of caution and attempt to avoid the situation in the first place. Take a look at some of the national carry forums, or find a local forum to that area and read up a little bit to see how things are interpreted and what the issues and legal traps are.

Well I have family in illinios. I lived there for Many years and am very versed in their laws. That's a separate trip I'm making and I won't have any firearms on me when I cross the state line. Unfortunately I am well aware that I must give up my rights when I go. Could you provide a link to any of these reputable national carry forums?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Well I have family in illinios. I lived there for Many years and am very versed in their laws. That's a separate trip I'm making and I won't have any firearms on me when I cross the state line. Unfortunately I am well aware that I must give up my rights when I go. Could you provide a link to any of these reputable national carry forums?

Yeah I'm a former IL resident, former FOID card holder even, and am too well versed in there laws, but I avoid IL as much as possible for I do not wish to condone their actions by voting with my wallet.

I'll PM you the link to the one I've found most useful.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    License to carry a handgun is subject to the laws of the state that your in. An Indiana license would have no value in Louisiana. I would think most long guns in the trunk and unloaded would be okay in most states.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    License to carry a handgun is subject to the laws of the state that your in. An Indiana license would have no value in Louisiana. I would think most long guns in the trunk and unloaded would be okay in most states.
    An Indiana LTCH is recognized in LA, as well as 26 other states.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have personally carried in LA with an IN LTCH with no problems. As long as you stay out of the Peoples Republic of Illinois going and coming, your license is good. Just check out the link above. Some states are different concerning places that are off limits.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    On illiinios, while the subject keeps being brought up. My brother has offered numerous times to sell me his xdm that bc he lives there now he has little use for. It would be legal to transport it by breaking it down into pieces( a nonfunctional state) with no ammo in the car and the pieces in a case correct?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    On illiinios, while the subject keeps being brought up. My brother has offered numerous times to sell me his xdm that bc he lives there now he has little use for. It would be legal to transport it by breaking it down into pieces( a nonfunctional state) with no ammo in the car and the pieces in a case correct?
    No ammo in it, lock it up, out of reach of the driver (pretty much federal transport guidelines). Illinois State Police have a very good brochure on what constitutes legal method of carry in IL, and you can print it out and put it in the locked case so if an officer wants to question you; it's there in writing with the exact statutes referenced.

If he is selling you a handgun across state lines, he needs to bring it or ship it to an IN FFL, and have them do a transfer for you.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Illinois isn't as bad and scary as people make it out to be for transporting firearms. In fact, up until a year ago, you had more rights as a non-resident in Illinois with a handgun than you did as a non-resident in Indiana.

All you have to do is have the gun unloaded, encased and not readily accessible. If you have a trunk, put it in a case in the trunk. If you don't have a trunk, put it in a locked case. It's pretty simple. Loaded mags are OK. They can be with the gun, but not in it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    TRY THIS LINK TO FIND OUT WHICH STATE HONORS WHICH STATES CCW...
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Thanks, and :welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:

Handgunlaw.us is a good resource. It's owners are not the most personable people in the world, but their site has good info.

While we're on the subject of good info, might I suggest, in the same vein as your above-quoted post,

"TRY THAT KEY JUST UNDER "TAB" AND JUST ABOVE "SHIFT" ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE KEYBOARD." :) Seriously, you don't have to shout, we're all right here. (All-caps is usually taken to mean shouting on the internet. Not calling you down, just passing the info along... we were all new once.)

Again, :welcome: and thanks for starting off with a good link for our other members.

Blessings,
    Bill

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Illinois isn't as bad and scary as people make it out to be for transporting firearms. In fact, up until a year ago, you had more rights as a non-resident in Illinois with a handgun than you did as a non-resident in Indiana.

All you have to do is have the gun unloaded, encased and not readily accessible. If you have a trunk, put it in a case in the trunk. If you don't have a trunk, put it in a locked case. It's pretty simple. Loaded mags are OK. They can be with the gun, but not in it.
    Partially right you are, Ryknoll. And the best part is because of an Ill supreme court ruling in the past 12 months a glove compartment or center console is considered a "case" but it doesn't even have to be locked, just closed. As long as you have a valid license to carry from your state that is considered to meet the law that requires you to have a FOID card equivalent. There is even a group that is pushing the concept that a fanny pack is considered a "case" and you are legal if the UNLOADED pistol is in it even with a loaded mag.

Top Bottom