Out of Curiosity - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words... But 2.5 Billion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    NASA's Mars Exploration Program recently released this wonderful photo of
    the Martian Surface. The stated mission of this program, part of which is
    the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, which sent back this rather
    boring photo, is to determine the habitability of Mars. I do believe,
    however, that the driving force of Mars exploration is to try to prove that
    life exists outside of the planet Earth.

It seems we, as a species, are haunted by the idea that we may be the only life in the universe. Or at least, many are consumed with the fact that there is really no hard evidence of any life beyone the Earth's magnetosphere. Even UFOs (if you're so inclined to believe that these are Alien craft) have only been supposedly seen IN EARTH ATMOSPHERE). Realistically, if there were any intelligent life in the Milky Way, seems that we would have picked up some sort of radio or other signals by now.

I personally believe that Space, ALL space outside of the Earth is sterile. Even if there were life in space, why do we assume that some would be more intelligent than us? What if WE are the biggest thing going and WE are the Aliens?!

Oh well, got to spend our tax money on something I suppose...

picture.php

giorgio-aliens3.jpg

Last edited:

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I dont think there is anyway to really tell if anything else is out there. NO ONE really knows how big the universe is, so to say that there is nothing out there is debatable.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Very little pure scientific research is money wasted. The data developed from this science project will help us to understand more about planetology in general and Mars in particular. The methods used to create the systems and the rover itself, where they are unique to the project, may carry over into more common applications.

Exploration, for exploration's sake, has rarely NOT resulted in advances in our knowledge and our technology, and getting mankind out into the solar system, instead of being confined here on this planet, might be the salvation of our civilization, not to mention the next frontier for those who seek personal liberty.

We waste more money on food stamp programs than we spent on this exploratory mission to Mars.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    $7 per person isn't that bad.

The bailout was more than $2,000 per person.

I'd rather explore Mars than line the pockets of the banks.

1m4gm.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm betting we'll discover some form of life or another is common across the universe. "Intelligent life" may be rare, but the odds that the right events for life to spontaneously occur only once--I'd say are pretty slim. I just hope I'm still alive when they find ET life.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Very little pure scientific research is money wasted. The data developed from this science project will help us to understand more about planetology in general and Mars in particular. The methods used to create the systems and the rover itself, where they are unique to the project, may carry over into more common applications.

Exploration, for exploration's sake, has rarely NOT resulted in advances in our knowledge and our technology, and getting mankind out into the solar system, instead of being confined here on this planet, might be the salvation of our civilization, not to mention the next frontier for those who seek personal liberty.

We waste more money on food stamp programs than we spent on this exploratory mission to Mars.

The technological benefits from space missions is a well known argument for the high dollars we've spent on space exploration (and note, the 2.5 billion is just for this Rover). There are many scientists whose paycheck is tied to funding for space exploration so that's why we get these efforts to find the little green men.

I understand the arguments, but honestly .... The only way we could advance technologically is to accidently get spin offs from NASA missions??? That's just propaganda.

ancient-aliens-it-was-aliens.jpg

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm betting we'll discover some form of life or another is common across the universe. "Intelligent life" may be rare, but the odds that the right events for life to spontaneously occur only once--I'd say are pretty slim. I just hope I'm still alive when they find ET life.

Why should there be intelligent life out there when there is so little here? But WE MARS NOW!!!!1

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Wait, what? It does more than take pictures. They are not looking for little green men or intelligent life.

I personally believe that Space, ALL space outside of the Earth is sterile.

Many people once believed that the earth was flat.
    Many people once believed that the sun revolved around the earth.

What do you personally believe about these things, and where do you think those beliefs came from? What if no one ever ventured out to look for a "new world" in the 1400's?

We are within the first 100 years of exploring outside of our planet. Who knows what will be learned, but if we're going to start we have to start somewhere.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Wait, what? It does more than take pictures. They are not looking for little green men or intelligent life.

Many people once believed that the earth was flat.
    Many people once believed that the sun revolved around the earth.

What do you personally believe about these things, and where do you think those beliefs came from? What if no one ever ventured out to look for a "new world" in the 1400's?

We are within the first 100 years of exploring outside of our planet. Who knows what will be learned, but if we're going to start we have to start somewhere.

Many people believe that there is life on other planets.
    This factoid belongs with the two listed above.

Can't you see? Most people are typically wrong. And the assumption has always been (from way back according to that alien guy on the History Channel) that there is life out there, just waiting to find us or for us to find. And YES. A primary goal of this mission we are discussing is to find evidence of life (intelligent or not)... you can check the mission statement yourself.

picture.php

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I dont think there is anyway to really tell if anything else is out there. NO ONE really knows how big the universe is, so to say that there is nothing out there is debatable.

If there is, they sure as hell aren't on Facebook..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom