• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I tore my ACL and my wife wanted to put me down. I talked her out of it and had the surgery.

Seriously though, I'm glad you are going forward with the surgery. Dogs are family.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    If it is not a $ issue do it. 100# brown lab here. Had one acl done at 2 or 3 and then the other at 5 or 6. They reshaped the joint and added titanium piece also. Came back 100%. VERY important to keep your girl calm during recovery. Crate and leash ALL the time. Had done when living in il at a VCA in Aurora. Pricey but would not have done it differently.

phodegraaf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2020
    Bargersville
    Our lab/pit mix had the surgery. She tore the other ACL about 2yrs later. She now limps with the torn one and is stiff with the surgery leg. She’s 11 yo and will have to be put down I’m guessing in the next year bc of complete lameness. She still loves a walk and a good run after rabbit but it does her in for the rest of the day and can barely walk.
    Just a word of warning if they tear one ACL the percentage of them tearing the other is like well over 60%. We had ours done at Indy Vet. They have rotating surgical residence through there. There’s probably cheaper options than Indy Vet though.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Decision has been made by now probably but I got to read hoosierdoc's post which I found informative

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    I went through this with my dog. She was the best dog I ever had and a member of the family with a long life ahead of her, so, for me, it wasn't an option. We did the surgery, and it was a success, and we never had any other issues with it. I do not know the particular person that did the surgery, but it was done through Academy Animal Hospital in Greenwood. Between myself and my wife, they have been taking care of our animals for a long time. I now have a 8 month old female German Shepherd , and she is amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to get the surgery for her if she needed it, but you must decide what is the right decision for you and yours.

Top Bottom