Not open for further replies.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    It's a Bauer from Harbor Freight. It worked great when I first got it. I hope it's just the battery. I ran water through the wand and it's clear, and the nozzle should be clear after soaking it in CLR yesterday.
    I haven't used CLR in a while. It seems that the effectiveness has diminished since ages ago when I used lots of it.

Usually when I get brass items, I dip them in a mild solution of chromic acid. I still have a small quantity of concentrate.
    Can't remember the formulation without looking again, but it leaves a satin finish on brass that kind of seals it somewhat and makes it more difficult for minerals to stick to the porous metals.

We used it a lot in my dad's horn shop for treating brass instruments. I kept some.

Most professional players are careful to keep a clean mouth before they play, but kids, band right after lunch, the insides of horns begin building a sort of living, growing coral reef type environment inside.
    Quick dip (5 or 10 sec!) in a chromic acid solution removes all that, leaving a "finish" that is easier to clean later as the "coral reef" begins to form again.

It is commonly used in plating, mostly. Copper can be plated on anything conductive, then chromic solution to seal, nickel to stiffen the copper, chrome to make the sheen more permanent. They do have a conductive oil dip they can use on fiberglass and some plastics to simulate a chrome finish process.

One of Dad's business associates once chrome plated a wooden canoe for a restaurant decor piece.

That chrome canoe was spectacular!

I use the chromic acid solution when I have to take a faucet apart or when I buy a new sprayer or even a simple brass hose nozzle.
    From twenty years ago, when I first bought these two pump sprayers I have, the chromic acid finish I put on the guts is still good.

Most know this, but NEVER use any chemical stronger than detergent on brass you intend to load with gunpowder!
    So, not all my brass gets the treatment.

Also, never use it on silver, another highly porous metal. It etches silver instantly, builds up a coating in seconds and turns it red.
    :):

Last edited:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Ugh. I couldn't eat that tortellini. Hardly any sauce, and the "grilled chicken" was finely diced (like 1/4"). It was mostly like eating pure garlicy cheese. 14 bucks in the trash. :noway:
    My daughter keeps wanting to stop at the one here. I think it might be another Millennial fad or some such.

Got a menu in the mail some time ago and the prices were enough to discourage me.

Told her we try it, though. I'm probably committed to that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom