OSUT #251 - Goodbye Apple Pie...Hello Mr. Gobbler and Pumpkin Pie!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Howdy Lpherr. That does sound like quite the ordeal! Next time, might I suggest one of these? ;)

View attachment 317341
    Wouldn't have mattered. I went off the dimensions listed, but there were metal tabs and the power cord that extended beyond those dimensions. We knew it would be tight, but in an old house, nothing is straight or square and the doorways are small, like the house was built for midget hookers. I needed to replace the front entry door as soon as we took possession of the keys just to get furniture in.
    It wasn't a big deal, and I examined the trim to be sure removal would be easy and not create damage.

But I appreciate the advice.;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wouldn't have mattered. I went off the dimensions listed, but there were metal tabs and the power cord that extended beyond those dimensions. We knew it would be tight, but in an old house, nothing is straight or square and the doorways are small, like the house was built for midget hookers. I needed to replace the front entry door as soon as we took possession of the keys just to get furniture in.
    It wasn't a big deal, and I examined the trim to be sure removal would be easy and not create damage.

But I appreciate the advice.;)
    Oh, you ordered it online, not in person? I could see that happening for sure.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Oh, you ordered it online, not in person? I could see that happening for sure.
    No sir, ordered it directly from the sales guy. Can't really pull appliances out and try to get a visual on every part.
    I just took their dimensions as accurate.
    We only had approximately 1/2" of clearance based from those dimensions.
    Add a doorway that is at least that amount out of square and pieces extruded beyond advertised dimensions, and BAM! doesn't fit.
    I was prepared for it by inspecting what would need to be done to gain the required clearance. 5 mins. and a trim bar and we were in business.
    While I have it apart, I might open it up a little, if the framing allows. Load bearing wall and not wanting to tear into wall and repair, is a contributing factor. I did all that for the living room. This sucks in a house that was build 130 years ago.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No sir, ordered it directly from the sales guy. Can't really pull appliances out and try to get a visual on every part.
    I just took their dimensions as accurate.
    We only had approximately 1/2" of clearance based from those dimensions.
    Add a doorway that is at least that amount out of square and pieces extruded beyond advertised dimensions, and BAM! doesn't fit.
    I was prepared for it by inspecting what would need to be done to gain the required clearance. 5 mins. and a trim bar and we were in business.
    While I have it apart, I might open it up a little, if the framing allows. Load bearing wall and not wanting to tear into wall and repair, is a contributing factor. I did all that for the living room. This sucks in a house that was build 130 years ago.
    Wow, 130 years... that sounds like a cool house!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll sell it to you. :D
    Ha! Not in the market, but I've rented some old houses (although not quite that old) before and they just have so much character. A couple were in Lafayette back in the early to mid 80's.

This one we had just the first floor. (it's 3 stories) Found out that it was originally owned by a Jewish cigar maker back when this area of town was the ritzy part. House across the street still had the remnants of a carriage house.

1701986451287.png

This one looked a lot different when we rented it. Porch wasn't enclosed and it still had windows with stained glass around their borders in the front.

1701986627007.png

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    This place certainly oozes character. It seems that over the history of this house, there have been many people that
    believed they were carpenters. Any time I get into some expected light remodel, it turns into a spectacle of layers, of
    incorrect work. I've come to my senses, and have decided not to do any remodeling, unless it is absolutely necessary.
    The shower was only 5 feet tall when we moved in. I dealt with it until the fiberglass tub developed a small crack.
    Holey crap on a cracker! That remodel was a nightmare.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This place certainly oozes character. It seems that over the history of this house, there have been many people that
    believed they were carpenters. Any time I get into some expected light remodel, it turns into a spectacle of layers, of
    incorrect work. I've come to my senses, and have decided not to do any remodeling, unless it is absolutely necessary.
    The shower was only 5 feet tall when we moved in. I dealt with it until the fiberglass tub developed a small crack.
    Holey crap on a cracker! That remodel was a nightmare.
    That old 3 story above had two really ornate fireplaces (sealed off) in it. One in the livingroom and one in my bedroom. Big oak mantles and surrounds and tiled over with porcelain tiles when they were sealed off. They would have been connected back in the day, like one big fireplace for both rooms.

When I was living there, I had a recurring dream that I found a secret passageway to get up to the 2nd and 3rd floors and in my dream they were decorated as they would've been back in the Victorian era. It actually did have a "secret compartment" inside a closet. You'd go into the closet and then there was a smaller door that led to a smaller storage area. I often wondered what its original purpose was. Thinking maybe it was used during prohibition, but can't be sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom