• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I'm real picky about having the 2 cycles running flawless and the chains sharp enough to cut you if you touch them... but I use the saw like Expat says....

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    How do you go about containing it? If it can't be killed what is the plan?
    First positive identification confirmed by physical inspection on Monday plus survey rest of lake. Then we get en estimate of total area & cost to treat. We give OK, we have a DNR permit already for that area so then company contacts Indianapolis, gets OK from them, and treats area(s) with an approved algaecide. As it regrows every 4 weeks, you treat again in 4 weeks and every year, every 4 weeks from first appearance in the spring at $600/acre. Wawasee is now treating 600 acres this year. Friends on Tippy are north of $75K this year. Barbee chahad none 5 years ago and has now spread like wildfire in those lakes. LARE grants are available annually to help, we will probably never get 1…to involved to explain. Since our watershed goes to Lake Michigan there is a Great Lakes Initiative that we might get some help from. But the grant is currently out of funds and has expired. Even with help it is a fraction of cost and almost only for high boat traffic areas.So the cost is basically ours. And believe me it will cause a “war”. We posted today to restrict boat traffic in about 5-8 acres. Not gonna please people. We will be buying buoys, ropes, etc. and mark quarantined areas. Have signs made and post at boat landing, etc. And the landing in not DNR, city owned along with beach and extended shoreline. So we need to get them on board. As I said it is an algae that currently cannot be killed/eradicated. So for the foreseeable future it is continual treatment, continual observation, education of residents, etc…anything possible to contain.

It is invasive, not native so it was brought in from elsewhere attached to something -boat, canoe, kayak, tubes, floats, water in bait buckets or live wells - anything that contacted it in another body of water. Then that “something” came to our lake without being properly cleaned, etc. May have been a resident or one of the boats that come here for ontain nd not srecreation, to fish, or whatever. Once it grows any boat that goes thru it can tear off pieces that may be carried by an anchor, wrapped around a prop, etc. and then falls off into another area. Or waves, wind tears off pieces that are carried by waves or float away to be introduced to another area.

I have already written too much here for INGOers but JB since you ask. As I said we put a notice on Facebook page this afternoon. My wife just told it is already promoting comments. 1 already said if we already hve it then they do see any reason to do anything or spend any money as whatever happens is inevitable. Total ignorance. He does not realize if left unchecked it can become next to impossible to get thru with a boat, kayak… Qnd it can eventually spread to most of the lake. Water temperature, sunshine, amount of phosphorus in the water, a piece of the algae growth - mix them together and presto another area is infected.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    First positive identification confirmed by physical inspection on Monday plus survey rest of lake. Then we get en estimate of total area & cost to treat. We give OK, we have a DNR permit already for that area so then company contacts Indianapolis, gets OK from them, and treats area(s) with an approved algaecide. As it regrows every 4 weeks, you treat again in 4 weeks and every year, every 4 weeks from first appearance in the spring at $600/acre. Wawasee is now treating 600 acres this year. Friends on Tippy are north of $75K this year. Barbee chahad none 5 years ago and has now spread like wildfire in those lakes. LARE grants are available annually to help, we will probably never get 1…to involved to explain. Since our watershed goes to Lake Michigan there is a Great Lakes Initiative that we might get some help from. But the grant is currently out of funds and has expired. Even with help it is a fraction of cost and almost only for high boat traffic areas.So the cost is basically ours. And believe me it will cause a “war”. We posted today to restrict boat traffic in about 5-8 acres. Not gonna please people. We will be buying buoys, ropes, etc. and mark quarantined areas. Have signs made and post at boat landing, etc. And the landing in not DNR, city owned along with beach and extended shoreline. So we need to get them on board. As I said it is an algae that currently cannot be killed/eradicated. So for the foreseeable future it is continual treatment, continual observation, education of residents, etc…anything possible to contain.

It is invasive, not native so it was brought in from elsewhere attached to something -boat, canoe, kayak, tubes, floats, water in bait buckets or live wells - anything that contacted it in another body of water. Then that “something” came to our lake without being properly cleaned, etc. May have been a resident or one of the boats that come here for ontain nd not srecreation, to fish, or whatever. Once it grows any boat that goes thru it can tear off pieces that may be carried by an anchor, wrapped around a prop, etc. and then falls off into another area. Or waves, wind tears off pieces that are carried by waves or float away to be introduced to another area.

I have already written too much here for INGOers but JB since you ask. As I said we put a notice on Facebook page this afternoon. My wife just told it is already promoting comments. 1 already said if we already hve it then they do see any reason to do anything or spend any money as whatever happens is inevitable. Total ignorance. He does not realize if left unchecked it can become next to impossible to get thru with a boat, kayak… Qnd it can eventually spread to most of the lake. Water temperature, sunshine, amount of phosphorus in the water, a piece of the algae growth - mix them together and presto another area is infected.
    Geez that does not sound good. I know the invasive milfoil is bad enough on a couple of the small lakes I fish. I would imagine there is not enough people on those lakes to pay for the treatment once it gets started, and heck It may already be.

Hopefully you guys caught it early and can get it slowed down.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Off for the weekend and so is wife. Was so surprised a friend that had passed a few years ago daughter called and needed help. I paid to get her van fixed $625 2 weeks ago. She came by and paid me back just now. Figured I would not see that again if she needs help again and I am able will do what I can.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Off for the weekend and so is wife. Was so surprised a friend that had passed a few years ago daughter called and needed help. I paid to get her van fixed $625 2 weeks ago. She came by and paid me back just now. Figured I would not see that again if she needs help again and I am able will do what I can.
    Evenin' ed. Glad she was able to pay you back. Shows good character on her part, and on yours for being willing to help!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom