Not open for further replies.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Lunch over. Busy morning. We discovered a Starry Stonewart infestation yesterday in our lake - an invasive algae that is spreading rapidly in northern IN lakes. We knew it would arrive here eventually but was hopeful of not happening for a few more years. This morning was non stop phone calls, texts, emails between me, Aquatic weed control, DNR biologist, our lake association members. Extremely urgent to implement a plan of attack to quarantine effected area, obtain permission to treat, schedule treatment, and set up emergency meeting of BOD this weekend. Containment is a must as much as is humanly possible. The can spread rapidly, make infected areas impossible for use, and become a VERY, VERY expensive issue. It cannot be killed or irradicated. It requires 2, 3, or 4 treatments per year at a cost of $600/acre for each treatment. Our lake association is not mandatory so we have no power to enforce restrictions, require dues or payments to cover costs, etc. All by voluntary cooperation. This is going to be a big problem for us.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    ran out of screws for pier so trimmed up some small trees, pulled some mulberry, and started burning brush and old pier boards.
    got the dog poop in the brush fire so time to mow

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Lunch over. Busy morning. We discovered a Starry Stonewart infestation yesterday in our lake - an invasive algae that is spreading rapidly in northern IN lakes. We knew it would arrive here eventually but was hopeful of not happening for a few more years. This morning was non stop phone calls, texts, emails between me, Aquatic weed control, DNR biologist, our lake association members. Extremely urgent to implement a plan of attack to quarantine effected area, obtain permission to treat, schedule treatment, and set up emergency meeting of BOD this weekend. Containment is a must as much as is humanly possible. The can spread rapidly, make infected areas impossible for use, and become a VERY, VERY expensive issue. It cannot be killed or irradicated. It requires 2, 3, or 4 treatments per year at a cost of $600/acre for each treatment. Our lake association is not mandatory so we have no power to enforce restrictions, require dues or payments to cover costs, etc. All by voluntary cooperation. This is going to be a big problem for us.
    How do you go about containing it? If it can't be killed what is the plan?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My gas ones I don’t take care of. I always think I am going to use them again so I don’t run the gas out of them. Then 2 or 3 years later I can’t get them to run.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom