• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I need opinions on the XDM .40. Also, does anyone know of a good carry weapon semi auto that is fully ambidextrous? 9mm or .40 is ok. I appreciate the input. Something under $1,000.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Fully Ambidextrous? The M&P is fully ambidextrous and well under $1,000. More like $550 give or take for a 9mm or .40

You could also get a USP and buy the Ambidextrous Saftey/Decock Lever

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have an XDm in 40 and I like it . I use it mostly for competition shooting but I also carry it.
    It is a little big to conceal on an everyday basis in the summer because I am too fat to carry it IWB. Cool weather with a cover garment is no problem.
    That being said , there are a bunch of great handguns for under a 1000. If I were you I would make a gun shop run and fondle a bunch of them that are in your price range and go from there.
    Like the above poster said , I don't thing you can go wrong with an M&P my next one will be an M&P 9 Pro

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    This depend on what your main purpose for this gun is. If its going to be a cc only gun I'd look at compact models in anything your looking for most come in full size and compact models. Springfeild, Glock,Taurus S&W and many othiers all make good guns in fullsize and compact. I would go to a gun shop that has a good selection and see what feels good in your hand . Remember alot of new guns have interchangable back staps to custom fit grips to your hand.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have shot my M&P a bunch and my recently acquired xd a little, both 40, I have to say the ergonomics are better on the smith but one of the things that are really different is the relative feel of the slide "top heavyness" (ok my made up word), But xd is a bit more top heavy (got the xd in a trade and its a sc)
    There is a exploding aftermarket for the M&P and that alone would slant me at the M&P, especially if you like to tinker, in fact if you want a good deal on an xd sc 40 let me know

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The XDm, is an excellent pistol. A little big for carry, I think personally. If that's the direction you are going, you may want to wait. Until the XDm with the 3.8" barrel is released in a .40. I also give top marks to the M&P.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I got a buddy that That has a XDM 40 and it shoots very nice. I considered a XD because his shot nice but went with a Glock 26. Love it. Jim

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    The XDm, is an excellent pistol. A little big for carry, I think personally. If that's the direction you are going, you may want to wait. Until the XDm with the 3.8" barrel is released in a .40. I also give top marks to the M&P.

Pop Guns had a 3.8, but now that i think back, it was 9mm. Are the .40s not out yet?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    visit gun shops and fondle them all, see what fits you and your hand.

I was all hyped up to buy an XDm last year after seeing all the Rob Leatham videos... then picked it up and didn't like the tall, heavy slide.

A lot of people love them though, so go check it out, but check out the M&P's and Glocks too.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've been carrying the XDm 40 for a year now. It's a great shooter and I don't have a hard time concealing it in my Crossbreed holster. The Xdm 3.8 is already out, but I'm waiting for Springfield to make a compact frame now that they have the shortened slide (wishful thinking).

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I've been carrying the XDm 40 for a year now. It's a great shooter and I don't have a hard time concealing it in my Crossbreed holster. The Xdm 3.8 is already out, but I'm waiting for Springfield to make a compact frame now that they have the shortened slide (wishful thinking).

I don't know...my guess is it's not that much wishful thinking. They are releasing a .45 XDm this year (FINALLY :rockwoot:) and I am sure have listened to the complaints over a full size frame/short slide gun. I don't understand why they would make a 3.8" barrel and keep a full size slide. What's the point? Not much more (if any) ability to conceal it and compared to the 4.5" bbl XDm, lesser velocity. I'm personally expecting them to come out with a compact framed XDm here soon.

I've shot an XDm 9 and it is a fine gun. Probably the best feeling plastic (oops, polymer) pistol I've personally held/fired. Good trigger, although it for some reason felt kind of wobbly, good sights, great capacity. I don't know how to further explain the wobbly comment, the trigger itself had some give in it - not in the pull of the trigger but it almost felt kind of flimsy. I'd imagine the .40 handles just like the 9 but has a dramatically different recoil impulse.

Last edited:

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I've shot an XDm 9 and it is a fine gun. Probably the best feeling plastic (oops, polymer) pistol I've personally held/fired. Good trigger, although it for some reason felt kind of wobbly, good sights, great capacity. I don't know how to further explain the wobbly comment, the trigger itself had some give in it - not in the pull of the trigger but it almost felt kind of flimsy. I'd imagine the .40 handles just like the 9 but has a dramatically different recoil impulse.

I shot Pop Gun's XD 9mm compact and loved it. Have you fired the compact, and, if so, how does your xdm compare? I love the feel of the full size XDMs. Also, can you compare it to the M&P 9mms? Ever fired one? :draw:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I don't know...my guess is it's not that much wishful thinking. They are releasing a .45 XDm this year (FINALLY :rockwoot:) and I am sure have listened to the complaints over a full size frame/short slide gun. I don't understand why they would make a 3.8" barrel and keep a full size slide. What's the point? Not much more (if any) ability to conceal it and compared to the 4.5" bbl XDm, lesser velocity. I'm personally expecting them to come out with a compact framed XDm here soon.

I think the 3.8 is supposed to be an alternative to the XD service. My thought process is that Springfield has the shorter slide, and is currently working on the compact frame :)

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I shot Pop Gun's XD 9mm compact and loved it. Have you fired the compact, and, if so, how does your xdm compare? I love the feel of the full size XDMs. Also, can you compare it to the M&P 9mms? Ever fired one? :draw:

I should have been more clear - it was not my XDm, it was a friend's. I have not shot the compact. I've never fired the M&P but I have held them and personally I dig the way they both fit into my hand. For me I am leaning more towards the XDm .45 when it comes out as opposed to the M&P but you can't really go wrong with either.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    I'm a little curious when and how did you hear that the xdm 45 version is coming out. Spring, summer, or fall? I'm looking at a new gun after taurus has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not ready to drink the 9mm Kool-aid yet. This gives me hope that Springfield will come come out with a xdm 45 soon. Thanks

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have an XDm 9mm and love it for competition and range shooting. It is a big gun to try to carry. In my opinion the 3.8 is no better for carry as the grip frame is what is hard to conceal.

Mad Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    LaPorte County
    I just got an XDM .40 and took it out for the first time today. I'm not the best shot in the world but thought that I did ok with. I really like this firearm and plan on spending quite a bit of time with it:ar15:

IMG00009.jpg

Top Bottom