• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I can't give you any opinions on Taurus, other than I was looking at the new Slim line until I went to a Taurus forum and saw the number issues people are having with them. I'm still very interested, but will wait for them to work out the kinks.

IF you want an opinion on another brand to try that has a strong reputation for accuracy and comfort... look at CZ.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have a PT111 Pro (second gen) that I got second hand from a member on here. I dont know if he ever had to send it into Taurus, or if he was even the original owner, but I havent had any problems with it. I have put about 300 rounds through it since I got it about a month ago. The only complaint, it does not like hard primers. Wolf primed handloads required a second trigger pull every single time. I dont really use Wolf primers though, so its a non issue. Works great with Federal primers, Winchester Small Pistol, and WWB factory ammo.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have never wanted a Taurus, so I have never owned one. I guess my taste runs a little ...more American.

It just occurred to me I don't own a non made in the USA gun....other than my saiga 12.

Whenever I shoot a Taurus, I just don't feel like it stands up to a Colt or Smith.

So I pretty much don't see myself owning one , maybe ever.

I will say, they are a very innovative company, willing to try a LOT of new ideas, and gold plate yer pimp gun if you want lol.

Just not my cup of tea.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Ive had two Taurus pistols. The first one and the one I wont part with is my PT1911. Over 500 rds through it and not a single issue to date. Now the pt111 I had in 9mm was complete junk, stove piped every single round. I tried every type of ammo imaginable including hornaday, winchester, remmington and even reloads but they all had the exact same problems. But that PT1911 is tack driver and very reliable and its my carry gun.

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I own 8 Taurus guns - revolvers, semis and a rifle. The only problem I've ever had was with a Model 85 revolver. Sent it back, got a new trigger installed and back to me in about 3 weeks.

4 out of 7 bad? Those are bad odds. Maybe you're abusing them or not keeping them maintained like you should.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I purchased a new Taurus PT101 AF more than 15 years ago. The only problem I had was a cracked slide which occurred about 2 years after I purchased.
    I sent the gun back to the factory where a new slide was installed under warranty.
    Other than that, no problems.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Taurus

I have owned an 85 UL and it was a great handgun,no problems with it.
    I rented a Taurus 1911 at Frontsight in may and had no problems with it, firing 300 rds in a 2 day course. If you like them and are getting good results with there customer service ,I say why change brands.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can't give you any opinions on Taurus, other than I was looking at the new Slim line until I went to a Taurus forum and saw the number issues people are having with them. I'm still very interested, but will wait for them to work out the kinks.

IF you want an opinion on another brand to try that has a strong reputation for accuracy and comfort... look at CZ.

You see the problem with a lot of the bad reports that spring up about Taurus come from people who have NEVER owned a Taurus, they just heard something from the next door's neighbor's brother in law who's butcher knows a customer, who lives next door to a milkman who delivers across the county to some old timer that has a great-granddaughter in preschool who's teacher who knows nothing about guns talked to some ya-hoo know it all that has never owned a Taurus that talked to a guy who had ONE problem and now it has evolved to the point that a Jennings is better than a Taurus.

I've owned 5 Taurus's

PT-940 (.40 cal)
    PT-92 ((9mm)
    Taurus 1911
    Taurus 809 (9mm)
    Taurus 709 (9mm)

That have performed flawlessly and trust my life daily to them.
    Now Taurus is not the only firearm I've owned, I've owned Springfield, Sig, Glock and Beretta but still prefer Taurus.

The only issue that I know of that the 709's had, was an extractor problem, but I've had no issue with mine and it's my desk/around the house gun.

I also plan on buying one of the .22 conversion kits for the 800 series so I can shoot my 809 economically.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The Taurus version of the 1911 is one of the great firearms deals.

I shot low with the Heine sights until I figured them out. Very fast to acquire.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

The autos that have had to go back are
    pt111 (had to put a new cylinder in it because it started shooting down).
    pt140 pro (the mag would fall out after every round you shot)
    pt738 (wouldnt eject spent cartridges, tried multiple brands with same result)

I do not (yet) own a taurus (unless the Rossi matched set counts, & it rocks totally) ...

BUT I did shoot the PT-111 Range gun at Don's a while (April) back ...
    it did the same thing w/ the magazine as you describe in your 140 ...

Turn me off Well - to Don's Yes ... - to Taurus? NO ...
    The gun shot well, other than the mag / feed issue.
    My wife is actually looking to get a 24/7 Pro C in 9 mm ... or so we think for now ... we're saving up for LTCH and gun for her. ...
    By the time we get closer, I'm hoping to know a few folks well enough to arrange a meet-up somewhere so she (or we since the plan is actually to have a matched pair between us)
    can try one out on the range before we make the final decision.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    I have (or had) Taurii in 22 lr, 22 mag, 9 mm, 357 mag, 45 acp, and 454 casull. I have had zero problems with any of them whether revolvers or autoloaders. They all shoot well and function with absolute reliability.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have shot quit a few Taurus revolvers. I experienced 0 problems with them. My Dad has owned a couple of the 92's. Though, I like the Beretta better they where good quality shooters. Taurus has came a long way in terms of manufacturing in the last 20 years.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    Bought 2 used Taurus wheelguns in the past month and they are great.94ss5-9 shot 22lr and a 971ss Tracker-7 shot in 22 mag.The only thing I don't like is there are no wood grips available for the newer models with the vertical grip screw.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Was at my LGS - range today. I was going to place an order for a
    Taurus PT 709 Slim. The guy told me he would order one in for me,
    but he would not recommend it. Told me about all sorts of very
    unhappy Taurus pistol customers. Told me to save my money, and
    step up to a Glock 26 or a SW MP.
    Since I just got a brand new Kel - Tec P32 back from repair, I did
    not place an order. To much of an expense and hassle to chance it.
    I will save up for the Glock or SW.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I own 8 Taurus guns - revolvers, semis and a rifle. The only problem I've ever had was with a Model 85 revolver. Sent it back, got a new trigger installed and back to me in about 3 weeks.

4 out of 7 bad? Those are bad odds. Maybe you're abusing them or not keeping them maintained like you should.

I am almost obsesive about the way I maintain my firearms. I fieldstrip and completely clean them with no.9 then coat and lube everything with ezox. 3 of the 4 were sent back after the very first time I took them to the range after I bought them new.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Was at my LGS - range today. I was going to place an order for a
    Taurus PT 709 Slim. The guy told me he would order one in for me,
    but he would not recommend it. Told me about all sorts of very
    unhappy Taurus pistol customers. Told me to save my money, and
    step up to a Glock 26 or a SW MP.
    Since I just got a brand new Kel - Tec P32 back from repair, I did
    not place an order. To much of an expense and hassle to chance it.
    I will save up for the Glock or SW.

Buy the 709 slim and enjoy it, there was a initial extractor problem when they rolled out but that was fixed long ago, I've not had a single problem with my 709 and there is plenty of happy 709 owners here on INGO.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Same as many of the others. Have a 24/7 Pro in .40 caliber I bought from another INGO member and have had 0 issues with it. Not sure if the previous owner had to send it back, but so far it has been a wonderful gun. Like the feel of it and the lower recoil because of a polymer frame rather than a plastic one. Love it so far and may get one in a 9mm for my wife.

Top Bottom