• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same issue with taurus that I have. I currently own 7 taurus hand guns (3 autos and 4 wheel guns). I have small hands and taurus seems to fit my hands better than a lot of other brands. The problem I have is out of the 7 I have had to send 4 of them in for warranty repairs (3 of them immediatly after purchasing them new.) All of the autos and one revolver have gone back. 2 of the other revolvers also are picky about the ammo I use in them which I have never seen in another brand of wheel gun. When I get them back from repair service they have always worked great after that, but I am without my new toy for anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks.

Now the question is do I completely stay away from Taurus because I have a good chance of having to send it back or do I keep going with them because I like the way they feel and shoot when they are working correctly. Just wondered what other people have experienced and thought.:dunno:

The autos that have had to go back are
    pt111 (had to put a new cylinder in it because it started shooting down).
    pt140 pro (the mag would fall out after every round you shot)
    pt738 (wouldnt eject spent cartridges, tried multiple brands with same result)

The revolver was
    .327 fed mag. (had to replace the whole trigger and hammer assembly because the cylinder wouldnt lock up, it would just spin.)

The revolvers that are VERY picky about ammo are
    .17 hmr ultra light 2"
    .17 hmr 4"
    (they only like cci ammo hate hornady. Bothe are 8 shot and after about 5 shots the cylinder starts locking up because of the notch that the firing pin leaves on the rimfire cartridge.)

The only one I have never (yet) had any issue with is a
    Tracker model .357 4".

Thanks INGO!!!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've owned 9 or 10 Taurus' over the years, maybe more. Revolvers and pistols. Never had a single problem with any of them.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    JOC... what "cylinder" are you talking about in this semi-auto? I can't figure out what you mean, unless it's something to do with the sights?
    Thats how they wrote it up on the repair sheet that came back with the pistol. They put a whole new barrel , recoil spring and rear sight on it. When I said it was shooting down the bullet would hit the dirt around 17 yards on a 25 yard range.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    did it have the hienie defense sights? if so a 6 o'clock hold would cause you to shoot very low. You need to line up the sights like normal and then put the front dot OVER THE TOP of what you are shooting at. You actually cover your target with the front sight. my pt145 is very accurate once u get used to the sights

theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    I love Taurus and have not had a problem with any of the brand new ones That I have bought. However I did get a used 24/7 in a 45 that I have to send it as It won't eject or load correctly, so it's going in. I guess a lifetime warranty to me is worth being without my "toy" verse having to pay for my repair. Plus what the heck I have other toys to play with while that one is gone.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Taurus seems to really be hit-or-miss with people. Mine haven't had any problems (a PT1911 and a PT101AF), but my dad's did have problems (709 Slim) that ended up being fixed under warranty, restoring normal function. :dunno:

I think in your case, it'll really just come down to this question: is the comfort and reliability worth the possibility of spending extra time and effort to send it back in to get that level of reliability?

You may not ever have to send other guns back to the manufacturer, but they may not be as comfortable in your hands. Seems like it's just a basic return-on-investment question to me, and it's a decision each person must make for themselves.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a PT745 millineum pro, and have not had a single problem with it through a few thousand rounds. The biggest plus I have found with it, is it eats any kind of ammo I put through it. I have heard that Taurus has dramatically improved the quality of their guns in recent years. I know several different people who have the PT1911 and absolutely love it, although one of those guys had a grip screw fall out when the gun was new.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have owned several over the years. Never had to send one back. I would agree there are higher quality arms out there, but Taurus does make a reliable and affordable firearm. In fact I frequently have a Taurus snubby with me. Not because I have to...just have not seen where other products offer enough to spend the extra money. That might change if I found a good J-frame or LCR for the right price.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    only problem ive had with the 4 ive owned (2 currently) are the sights are sometimes off for me... it is probably just me, but 1% chance its the gun. never had any problems with ammo... other then wolf, but thats almost to be expected.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Currently I use a Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro as my primary self defense weapon. It has been 100% reliable from day one. The only issue I have with it is that it shoots low if I line the sights up three dots across, so I practiced shooting it using lining the dots in a triangle and it shoots perfectly to point of aim. Of course shooting low means if I aim for between your eyes, I will hit you in the throat. Really not an issue as self defense distances.

bk1330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Jeffersonville,IN
    I had a taurus model 85 and loved it wish I still had it. I also had a judge about a week after they first came out. I didn't care for it but there wasn't any functional problems with it I just thought I would like it and I didn't. But I am bad about that with alot of guns.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    My 145 shot low with the Heine sights so I switched them out for William's Fire Sights. The gun still shoots low. That's my only complaint. I've never had any other problems with the gun.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Currently I use a Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro as my primary self defense weapon. It has been 100% reliable from day one. The only issue I have with it is that it shoots low if I line the sights up three dots across, so I practiced shooting it using lining the dots in a triangle and it shoots perfectly to point of aim. Of course shooting low means if I aim for between your eyes, I will hit you in the throat. Really not an issue as self defense distances.

Line up the 3 dots and cover the bullseye with the center dot. You will shoot dead on

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    My 145 shot low with the Heine sights so I switched them out for William's Fire Sights. The gun still shoots low. That's my only complaint. I've never had any other problems with the gun.

Heine sights are defense sights not target sights. You will shoot low if you use a 6 o'clock hold, you must cover the bullseye with the dot on the front sight. The sights were made this way to get on target faster.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Had a Millennium Pro 45. Sold it after I got it back from Taurus repair. Great service from Taurus but would rather not have to send it in the first place. Put the $ into a M&P 45.

Top Bottom