• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    It's a couple miles north of the intersection. It was Union Township but has been annexed. As far as zoning they are still using the Union Township zoning for that area, which is why we're having an issue with the self-storage zoning. I got a good deal on the property so I didn't want to pass it up because I thought the area has a lot of potential for sustaining an indoor range.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Is it up by the indoor gymnastics place? It'd be nice to go to if it's raining and i can't shoot at my Personal range.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    There's a lot of regs (mostly environmental) related to operating an indoor range that aren't readily obvious until you've been in such a business. The liability insurance is also very hard to get and amazingly expensive. Do a lot of upfront homework before wasting much time or energy on a plan to build/operate an indoor range. It is MUCH more difficult than most would think.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    There's a lot of regs (mostly environmental) related to operating an indoor range that aren't readily obvious until you've been in such a business. The liability insurance is also very hard to get and amazingly expensive. Do a lot of upfront homework before wasting much time or energy on a plan to build/operate an indoor range. It is MUCH more difficult than most would think.

AMEN BROTHER!

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010

You're not kidding!:):
    Not including the building our biggest expenses will be the HVAC ($300k) and wet trap system. The insurance is expensive but actually not as bad as we anticipated. It's an uphill battle but we're hoping it will be worth it! We met with an architectural firm that specializes in ranges and they're currently working on a few across the country. They've been quite helpful and have suggested ways to get some grant money for such a venture.:)

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    What made you want to get into this. Do you have a background in the firearms business? Not hatin just asking. I hope this works and let us know if INGO can help! Curious how you decided to try and build a range!

You're not kidding!:):
    Not including the building our biggest expenses will be the HVAC ($300k) and wet trap system. The insurance is expensive but actually not as bad as we anticipated. It's an uphill battle but we're hoping it will be worth it! We met with an architectural firm that specializes in ranges and they're currently working on a few across the country. They've been quite helpful and have suggested ways to get some grant money for such a venture.:)

Wingcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zionsville
    I live in the area and I think it would be a great idea. As to the zoning, I think that you are far enough away from the Village that it might not be that much of an issue, as long as you stayed away from neon signs. Particularly if they said "Walmart" :): .

I would certainly frequent the range, particularly after a very scary experience on a recent visit to a certain range on 38th Street, involving some rather clueless young gentlemen firing "their first muther f***en AK" :ar15:, and the fact that one of my ejected shells broke out the unprotected spotlight over my head, raining glass all over my bench.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    You can count on my being there if you get it going! Born and raised in Zionsville and still come back most summers from school. It'd be awesome to have something that close! Your sight is only like 2 miles from my parents house. If you're still looking for a lawyer I'll call up my dad tomorrow and ask since he's a lifetime Zville resident and realtor in town.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    What made you want to get into this. Do you have a background in the firearms business? Not hatin just asking. I hope this works and let us know if INGO can help! Curious how you decided to try and build a range!

I actually haven't been in the firearms business before but we will be staffing it with people that have. We decided to do this because we think the area really needs something like this. If anyone has experience in a business like this and would like to help once we get the process rolling we are welcome to suggestions.:)

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Any updates here? Also, is there anything people can do to help?

I'm not sure what stage of the process you're at, but I'm sure people would be happy to show up at zoning/town council meetings to help support this effort.

tazl3oy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    zionsville
    If you need any help with getting this done ill do what I can for ya

Ps are you looking for any 2wl work there as soon as it opens? I would be verry interested if you are

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not that you're asking for my input but I live in the area and would love to have some place to go that was welcoming to non-hardcore gun people. I think there's a need for a place that would be receptive to those casual gun owners who want to stay in enough practice so that they could actually handle their gun should the need arise.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Not that you're asking for my input but I live in the area and would love to have some place to go that was welcoming to non-hardcore gun people. I think there's a need for a place that would be receptive to those casual gun owners who want to stay in enough practice so that they could actually handle their gun should the need arise.

My thoughts exactly. There really just aren't enough ranges around here. That leads to crowding of the ones that do exist. And the crowds are mixed. People that know their guns, and are safe to shoot with, and those who are there practicing for things that I don't want to know about. I think having a range up north of Indy would solve some of those problems.

Top Bottom